Travel Insurance?

I thought I'd start a post about "Travel Insurance" especially after what has happened to "Grandeur of the Seas".

Speaking from the UK, I am unsure about the importance given to having travel insurance for US residents...but us UK-based people are basically bombarded into getting travel insurance for any non UK-based vacations.

Even although I have sympathy for those passengers originally due to depart on the 23rd April cruise on Grandeur from NO.....IMHO, people should get travel insurance to help out in these exact occassions....and having TI would help ease the blow of missing 2 days from your cruise.

Anyway....how has TI for their cruises and who doesn't and what are your views...oh...and how much does it cost in the US for a 1 week vacation?

Cheers in advance.

Hi,

We are also from the UK and my question with regard to insurance is more of a general one. My greatest worry, as we are travelling in August is hurricaines. If my BA flight doesn't leave on time because of a hurricaine and I miss the ships departure does anybody know of any insurance company that covers this. My existing annual policy will only cover up to £800. My week on the NOS has cost much more than this. I telephone RCI and they were unable to help. I know that I may be worrying unnecessarily but I like to have all aspects covered. We travelled to Florida last year in August and missed the first hurricaine by 3 days and arrived home 1 day before the next hurricaine - we were very lucky.

We don't always purchase travel insurance, it depends on the cost of the cruise and if we have to fly to get there. We take a couple of short local cruises every year, so we don't insure those. Our credit card covers the cost of missed flights and luggage, so we don't worry so much about that. Our priority when purchasing travel insurance is primarily for the cost of medical evacuation and any medical cost when we are out of our country.

I have gotten quotes ranging from over $400 to $96 for the same 7 day cruise, so you have to be careful what you buy. I think many people buy blindly, accepting what is first shown to them. We have always compared insurance coverage and cost on www.insuremytrip.com but I don't know if this is available in the UK, you may check it out. I think if I were turned around, travelling to UK, I would definitely have full travel insurance.

Everyone who decides to purchase Travel Insurance does so for their own set of reasons and priorities. In order, mine are:

1. Elder parents

2. Med-vac off some island back to a mainland U.S. Hospital

3. Travel Delay - fly out in January fro a snowy part of the country

4. Cancellation for a covered reason.

I didn't have travel insurance for my first two cruises, but wished I did (got hurt, minor but it still was a pretty penny to visit the infirmary). As to price, it was based on the cost of the cruise and the age of the passengers. The TI for my mom for our cruise next year is $30 more than the TI for me.

Didn't feel like starting a post for this but thought I'd add to it....

I'm in the process of shopping for travel insurance. The one that my ta offered was very reasonably priced but they couldn't answer a question regarding cancellation and suggested that i contact the company directly...but to do so in writing.

So I emailed them. My question essentially was their policy states that if a person gets called to active duty and has to cancel that is a valid cancellation. So I emailed and asked well what if they are already active duty and get different orders. I explained that there was a minimal chance that my husband's base might have some commands closing. Depending upon the timing of this it coudl affect if they honor his leave chit.

The woman had the audacity to tell me that because I was aware of this possibility it would be considered a pre-existing condition and wouldn't be covered. But that they try to help the military when they can.

Um excuse me.... So for being honest you're going to tell me it's a 'pre-existing' condition but golly gee you support our troops?! LOL

To make a long story short: I had an ear infection prior to sailing, took an antibiotic. Two days into the cruise, the good bacteria in my digestive tract was overtaken by the bad bacteria. I was so sick. I ran up $1200 worth of hospital bills on the ship, had Travel Guard insurance which paid it very quickly. I will never cruise without insurance.

I don't think the people on the Grandeur had to worry about insurance because RCI took care of rebooking flights, etc.

I think RichardK outlines the reasons for insurance. I've been traveling overseas for about 25 years, and I have never purchased the insurance. On our Dec cruise, my 81 year old mother passed out in muster drills and the infirmary cost was $560. (she's diabetic and they ran a lot of tests)

That, along with the fact my Mom is 81, I'm 53 and we are sailing out of San Juan this time, is why I purchased insurance this time and will from now on.

Archived