Changes to Kid's Program

chrisc71

What's on the website contradicts the wording in the press release. Which one is accurate, NCL?!

Go with the press release. A lot more care is put into the crafting of the press release than into fixing all the nooks and crannies of the website. It'll take time for them to scour the website and scrub it of discrepancies.

Go with the press release. A lot more care is put into the crafting of the press release than into fixing all the nooks and crannies of the website. It'll take time for them to scour the website and scrub it of discrepancies.

But the webpage has been COMPLETELY updated from what it was a few weeks back, not just a few random changes here and there. The average person (not on CC) is not going to read a press release. They are going to get their info on the new youth program by clicking the link that says 'New Youth Program'!

What major portion of ships amenities? Seems to be a very small change that affects very few people. The number of children between 2 and 3 is probably less than 1% of the passengers on any given cruise. On our recent December cruise, there were a total of 90 children on the ship out of 2200 passengers. Of those 90, about 10 or less were under the age of 5. I fail to see how the change to fewer than 10 is a major change?:cool:

Sure if you look at one ship but what about across the whole line? Now you are talking about a lot of people. People like myself who booked this line partly because of that feature. Because it does not affect you it seems you are downplaying it.

Also the other issue is that NCL has not notified anyone of this. How hard it is to send an email to those booked with any age and announce the change? There are going to be a lot of upset people who board a ship expecting something they paid for to be there and they find out it is gone.

NCL can changed the program, and any program, but to not notify booked passengers is bad business.

Sure if you look at one ship but what about across the whole line? Now you are talking about a lot of people. People like myself who booked this line partly because of that feature. Because it does not affect you it seems you are downplaying it.

Also the other issue is that NCL has not notified anyone of this. How hard it is to send an email to those booked with any age and announce the change? There are going to be a lot of upset people who board a ship expecting something they paid for to be there and they find out it is gone.

NCL can changed the program, and any program, but to not notify booked passengers is bad business.

Very bad business, indeed!

Someone made a great point on another thread that one 2 year old is often times traveling with a much larger group. In my case, we're doing a 40th anniversary cruise for my in-laws. My niece will be 3 weeks shy of turning 3. If it turns out they really did change their policy, our whole group might need to cancel.

Yes, NCL needs to be more clear about what the changes will be, and when they will be implemented.

But this is ridiculous:

If it turns out they really did change their policy, our whole group might need to cancel.

Really? In that case, you'd better cancel regardless of whether the policy has changed or not.

Clearly the cruise would be ruined for the entire group if the 2 year old refused, at the last minute, to be dropped off at Kid's Crew. But that would never happen, right? I mean, I've traveled with 2 year olds, and mine were always the sweetest, most cooperative, most rational beings. Oh wait...no, they weren't. But you know what? That's part of parenting. :D

Anyone whose enjoyment of a vacation is contingent on the cooperation of a 2 year old is likely to be disappointed. :rolleyes:

But this is ridiculous:

Really? In that case, you'd better cancel regardless of whether the policy has changed or not.

Clearly the cruise would be ruined for the entire group if the 2 year old refused, at the last minute, to be dropped off at Kid's Crew. But that would never happen, right? I mean, I've traveled with 2 year olds, and mine were always the sweetest, most cooperative, most rational beings. Oh wait...no, they weren't. But you know what? That's part of parenting. :D

Anyone whose enjoyment of a vacation is contingent on the cooperation of a 2 year old is likely to be disappointed. :rolleyes:

Well you stated this a little stronger than I would have, but the point would be the same I would think.

The poster stated they were going for someone's 40th anniversary and 14 people might need to change/cancel/etc for one 2 year old's lack of daycare services (which at 2 they wouldn't even be aware they were missing something if no one told them). I would think the anniversary couple should be the center of attention but that's just IMO.

@ Kercar I understand you are frustrated by the lack of consistent information if your cruise is close to sailing and rightfully so. But IMO that post was a little over the top.

Yes, NCL needs to be more clear about what the changes will be, and when they will be implemented.

But this is ridiculous:

I've been cruising with my kids on NCL every year since they were 1 and 5 (they're now 6 and 10) and have never had any issues with them going to the kid's crew or behaving themselves. They LOVE NCL! My niece will do fine in the crew. None of us are concerned about that. She's completely fine in group settings and will already have a whole summer of camp and a month of pre-k under her belt by the time we sail. Since she is being charged the full rate (not just port charges and taxes which is normally the case for children who are too young for the crew) we would be crazy not to at least consider other options, if they really are going to discontinue the 2 year old program. Not saying we will, but

But this is ridiculous:

Being often the organizer of my friends/family groups vacationing together, I don't think it's unrealistic to say we're going to choose a different line over this issue. I don't think that we're being overly picky, or difficult to please customers. And we've sailed w/ DS knowing he was too young to use a kids camp program. It's not about whether a 2 year old is going to know the difference, it's about whether the availability of a drop off program is one of the factors considered in picking the best trip.

We're planning a cruise w/ 4 families, kids ranging from 2 to 7. With a lot of other factors being comparable in ship activities, food, itinerary, similar price, the lines that have programs that include the 2 yr old might have tipped the decision in their favor so that he can play in the program w/ his siblings and cousins. DS at 2 yrs old wouldn't know that he used to be able to be included, but he would notice that the other kids get to do a fun activity and he doesn't. Or maybe because the pp's plan was to celebrate an anniversary, the group was hoping for a chance to do something special with just all the adults which would be at least a possibility w/ a program that took 2 yr olds vs not having the option at all. It doesn't mean the entire group is worrying about pleasing a 2 yr old. I would say it's up to the parents to know their own child as to whether the 2 yr old has a good temperament for a kids club. He did very well last year in a kids program. Now if NCL no longer offers drop off for 2 yr olds, another line that does, or at least has a for fee option, may edge ahead, or it may mean re-evaluating the other options because NCL isn't ahead anymore. We're looking for a vacation that will offer the most to families with young children in our price range so camp offerings is a factor. FWIW, DS will not be the 2 yr old in question for the group trip we're planning, he'll be old enough regardless, but I want to be considerate to the parents of the child who will be 2.

Not to say NCL won't fill those rooms with someone else, but I'm just saying it's not being unreasonable to reconsider a group booking over this change.

Well you stated this a little stronger than I would have, but the point would be the same I would think.

The poster stated they were going for someone's 40th anniversary and 14 people might need to change/cancel/etc for one 2 year old's lack of daycare services (which at 2 they wouldn't even be aware they were missing something if no one told them). I would think the anniversary couple should be the center of attention but that's just IMO.

@ Kercar I understand you are frustrated by the lack of consistent information if your cruise is close to sailing and rightfully so. But IMO that post was a little over the top.

Wow! Rough crowd! :D

Cruising was only one of many options on the table so it wouldn't be completely crazy if we canceled for another activity that would better suit our needs. The current plan is to spend the majority of our day together followed by a big family dinner each night. Then we were planning on dropping all the kids off at the crew for a couple of hours so all the adults can go out for a drink or 2 and a little dancing. If they really have discontinued the 2 yo program, we wouldn't have that option anymore and someone would have to stay behind to watch my niece (who will actually be almost 3 at the time). Not saying we would definitely cancel but, as the coordinator of this trip, I definitely feel like I have an obligation to bring this info to the rest of my group. I'm waiting for the full story to come out before I say anything, though. If my MIL hears that about the 2 yo program getting discontinued, she will insist that we look into other options. She was very clear that she wanted something that met the needs of all members of our party, including her grandchildren. That's why I'm waiting for all the facts to come out before saying anything. This all could just be a big misunderstanding!!!!

Not trying to be a rough crowd. And as I said i would not have stated as strongly as the other poster, as I have grandchildren that age and can understand it being a consideration, just not a make or break.

I also said I understood your frustration. It wasn't as much what you were saying in that post as how it was stated. The next two posts you conveyed your message very well, just not as harshly as the one I was referring to. That post actually sounded like the 2 year old was spoiled and ran the show :eek:, which is probably why you got the reaction you did.

Thank you for clarifying.

That post actually sounded like the 2 year old was spoiled and ran the show :eek:, which is probably why you got the reaction you did.

Thank you for clarifying.

Oh my gosh no...she's the sweetest little girl ever! I was just reacting to someone who posted earlier saying that only a small number of people would be effected by the change. Just wanted to point out that sometimes one 2 year old child is part of a larger group of people traveling together. We did one of these big family cruises when my own DD was 2. Being able to send her to the kid's crew for an hour or 2 each night worked out perfectly!

Happy to clarify! I've been on CC long enough to know that sometimes things get misinterpreted and blown out of proportion~lol! ;)

And NCL will book other people to take your place. Can't see the downside for NCL.

I've got no doubt in my mind they'd be able to rebook our cabins! It's not like I'm trying to stick it to them~lol! I love NCL! The major downside from them discontinuing the 2 yo program (if they really have) and not notifying people in advance is that there are going to be lots of angry passengers in the coming weeks/months! I wouldn't want to be working at the guest relations desk once this all hits the fan:eek:

Being often the organizer of my friends/family groups vacationing together, I don't think it's unrealistic to say we're going to choose a different line over this issue.

Neither do I, and I suggested this to another poster in a similar situation. If they haven't passed the final payment date, and NCL can't meet their group's needs, they should consider another line or another type of vacation.

I just got a response and on the Gem 2 years olds can still be dropped off. I asked a question back because there appears to be a new Nursery which I suspect will allow drop off of the pre twos too when its fully implemented!

So as I said lets find out the facts before we throw the baby out with the bath watre

After rereading the press release and the website, I'm wondering if the play space for children 3 and under is something completely separate from the Splash Academy program. All the NCL ships I've been on have had a small place for little ones and their parents to play with slides, ride on toys, etc. Perhaps, they are improving these spaces as an option for parents and children to hang out together? But still have a drop off program in place at the kid's crew center?

I just got a response and on the Gem 2 years olds can still be dropped off. I asked a question back because there appears to be a new Nursery which I suspect will allow drop off of the pre twos too when its fully implemented!

So as I said lets find out the facts before we throw the baby out with the bath watre

Great news! When I saw the info on their updated webpage, I knew there was no way they were going to discontinue the 2 yo drop off program! Thanks for letting us know!

The current plan is to spend the majority of our day together followed by a big family dinner each night. Then we were planning on dropping all the kids off at the crew for a couple of hours so all the adults can go out for a drink or 2 and a little dancing. If they really have discontinued the 2 yo program, we wouldn't have that option anymore and someone would have to stay behind to watch my niece (who will actually be almost 3 at the time). Not saying we would definitely cancel but, as the coordinator of this trip, I definitely feel like I have an obligation to bring this info to the rest of my group. I'm waiting for the full story to come out before I say anything, though. If my MIL hears that about the 2 yo program getting discontinued, she will insist that we look into other options. She was very clear that she wanted something that met the needs of all members of our party, including her grandchildren. That's why I'm waiting for all the facts to come out before saying anything. This all could just be a big misunderstanding!!!!

Heehee, I guessed right. :D

Great news! When I saw the info on their updated webpage, I knew there was no way they were going to discontinue the 2 yo drop off program! Thanks for letting us know!

don't be so sure.

I am in receipt of the email you sent to Mr. Sheehan with your query regarding the kids program. The following is the most updated information we have to date and also I have included the copy of the website as well. http://www2.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/freestyle-family-fun/kids-crew-and-teen-crew

The complimentary drop off program on the Gem will accommodate children age 2 (based on DOB at time of sailing) – age 12.

The nursery program for children 2 and under has not been implemented at this time.

The Under 2 Zoo Program, parent interactive program, is also being offered if you wish to utilize that program as well. This is a complimentary program but parents are required to attend.

Thank you for inquiry and we appreciate your patronage.

signature removed...

BUT when I called and spoke with the executive desk confusion reignth.

over 3 drop off under three they aren't so sure-although at the current time 2 and above can still be dropped off-maybe.They referred me to the information on the website. I think the plans are to actually have a nursery(which implies that they will change diapers for the six months to under 3). But only G-d knows what it will really be. They are researching it more and will get back to me...tomorrow.

don't be so sure.

I am in receipt of the email you sent to Mr. Sheehan with your query regarding the kids program. The following is the most updated information we have to date and also I have included the copy of the website as well. http://www2.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/freestyle-family-fun/kids-crew-and-teen-crew

The complimentary drop off program on the Gem will accommodate children age 2 (based on DOB at time of sailing) – age 12.

The nursery program for children 2 and under has not been implemented at this time.

The Under 2 Zoo Program, parent interactive program, is also being offered if you wish to utilize that program as well. This is a complimentary program but parents are required to attend.

Thank you for inquiry and we appreciate your patronage.

signature removed...

BUT when I called and spoke with the executive desk confusion reignth.

over 3 drop off under three they aren't so sure-although at the current time 2 and above can still be dropped off-maybe.They referred me to the information on the website. I think the plans are to actually have a nursery(which implies that they will change diapers for the six months to under 3). But only G-d knows what it will really be. They are researching it more and will get back to me...tomorrow.

That is the most uninformative, indirect answer to a direct question that I could ever have imagined.

I realize that miscommunication happens a lot in large companies, just due to the volume of employees. But this is definately the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.

*Note to NCL that reads these boards. Before announcing a new program you should at least know what will happen with it and get the kinks ironed out before spreading the word in news releases that you are going to start something. geesh

I don't think that there were more than 5 two year olds on my Dawn cruise earlier this month. Not enough to be a major concern to NCL. I think that people should be made aware of impending changes and they should be able to cancel without penalty. These sorts of changes are not well received and I can understand why people are upset. From a business point of view however, I dont think that this will hurt NCL at all. Kids don't pay much to start with and many adults would rather book cruises with less children so families with small children will be replaced with adults who prefer it that way.

I don't think that there were more than 5 two year olds on my Dawn cruise earlier this month. Not enough to be a major concern to NCL. I think that people should be made aware of impending changes and they should be able to cancel without penalty. These sorts of changes are not well received and I can understand why people are upset. From a business point of view however, I dont think that this will hurt NCL at all. Kids don't pay much to start with and many adults would rather book cruises with less children so families with small children will be replaced with adults who prefer it that way.

And you know that how? On any given cruise there are at least 150 kids and can be upwards of 900. It's not the kids that pay for the cruise, it's the parents WITH the kids that pay for the cruise. And the kids with the parents who do suites. As seen on the latest marketing for the Haven. And the families that bring multi-generational groups.

Kids pay the same 3rd person fare as anyone else. At least any child over 2. I have heard that under two pay only port fees but cannot be sure..

Archived