Just back from the Equinox

Raycruise2010

My wife and I cruised on the Celebrity Equinox March 16 to 26, 2012 () Caribbean cruise. Here’s what we thought:

Hotel and shuttles: The night prior to the cruise we stayed at the Hampton Inn at 250 N. Andrews Avenue in Ft. Lauderdale. A $20 metered cab ride (plus tip) gets you there from the airport. The Hampton was clean, comfortable and well run with an attentive staff and good, free breakfast. Be aware: some will be put off by the area. While it's an easy10-minute walk from the Hampton to popular Las Olas Blvd., the hotel is on the outskirts of downtown and is very near a park that caters to the homeless. My wife and I actually walked through that park when we made a wrong turn. While that didn’t bother me, it did her, and others will be disturbed as well. Beside Las Olas, there's nothing near the hotel, so you'll need a cab to get around. The Hampton offers a free shuttle to the cruise port, and the shuttle service will take you back to the airport after the cruise for $10 per person, plus tip. A cab costs about the same, and I’d recommend that route. We tried the shuttle and it was fine, especially since we had extra time. But we had to call for the shuttle, wait 25 minutes for it to arrive, and then make two stops before getting to the airport. That’s not a big deal, but if I’m paying the same money I’d rather have the convenience a cab offers --- just for me and my wife, straight to the airport.

Embarkation: A snap. We got To Equinox at 11:25 am and were on board at 12:15 pm.

Mast Grill and Buffet: The Mast Grill on Deck 14 was already open, and that was the beginning of bad for my belly. Burgers and dogs were available, but no fries that early. The burgers and hot dogs were consistently excellent, with grilled onions and mushrooms, bacon, lettuce, tomato and raw onion available as garnishes. The Ocean View Cafe --- the Buffet --- was also open. It was consistently and surprisingly good. Though my wife and I ate mostly salads, we sampled a number of their other items. The pizza was chewy and a little greasy, but okay by cruise ship standards. The sandwiches were very well done, especially the chicken salad, which I ate most days. The hot stations --- stir fry, Indian food a carving station --- offered lots of variety. You could do an entire review based on the buffet alone. You just need to know you won’t be disappointed..

Specialty restaurant discount: Celebrity offered a 20% discount at any of its specialty restaurants the first night and two other times during the cruise. We choose Tuscan Grille. More later

Cabin: We had Aqua Class cabin 1571, a balcony. Very comfortable. At first, we were concerned about storage space, but the large single closet, overhead storage and dresser draws we're amble for two. The spacious bathroom was easy to navigate. The shower rocked, with little massage jets that pushed water anywhere you want. Just fantastic.

We took Aqua only because the price dropped to less than a concierge class balcony cabin. From my perch, I'd pay a nominal additional fee for the few perks. The unlimited bottle water is nice --- especially for those, like us, who drink a lot of it --- and the daily fruit (apples, oranges, grapes) reminded us to eat something healthy. We didn't use the Persian Gardens --- tried it, and were "blahed" by the heated chairs and saunas --- but Blu, the restaurant, was more than worth it. I'd pay a little extra for AQ but wouldn't break the bank.

Blu: consistently fantastic. Nestled near the Tuscan Grille and Silk, it's like eating at a specialty restaurant every night. Among the items we ate: a succulent pheasant cooked to juicy perfection; squab; short ribs; frogs legs in a BBQ sauce; prime rib; lobster in an orange sauce. We had breakfast there most mornings, and the assortment of healthy fare food was a real draw. The egg white omelets were always spot on --- never overlooked, never runny. You can watch the ocean go by from most tables, adding a ambiance that’s hard to find. The service was impeccable; from the third night on, the sommelier remembered what wine my wife and I liked best. The staff remembered my favorite dessert --- apple pie with ice cream --- and made sure I had it just about every night (and it’s not even on the menu). This is the best daily restaurant experience I’ve ever had on a ship. But if you want a specialty place, try ...

Tuscan Grille: this was oh-my-lord good. And I don't mean just for cruise ship food. I mean for food anywhere. This was one of the best meals I’ve ever eaten, anywhere. The seafood stew was incredible, a delicious light broth filled with mussels, shrimp and calamari. My rib eye was cooked to perfection, and I had a side of the lobster alfredo ... Tender, juicy lobster in a cream sauce that coated the spoon --- not too light, not weighted down with too much of any single ingredient. My wife didn’t talk as she ate her fillet. We were going to try Murano, too, but bagged that thought after eating here. And for $24 per person --- we had the 20% first night discount --- we paid chain-restaurant prices for 5-star fare. Do yourself a favor --- get ya some.

Molecular Bar: this, to me, is a strange place. They make drinks out of different ingredients (rose petals, nitrogen, guava foam) and my wife raved about it. So did the others who were drinking these George Jetson concoctions. Prize goes to Andy from San Diego, who ate the scorpion from the bottom of s rum bottle. He said it was chewy. So, if you want something really different, and the chance to slurp a scorpion, this is your place.

Me, I stuck to the bourbons, and I couldn't be happier with the variety and the relatively inexpensive prices. Bookers, bakers, Basil Hayden all could be had for less than $10 a pour --- and that's cheaper than in many bars in big cities across the country.

I have a lot of additional info for anyone who wants it

The unlimited bottle water is nice --- especially for those, like us, who drink a lot of it ---

Great review. Thanks. Curious about the unlimited bottle of water. What is unlimited, I wish they would say for this amount of money you get 30 bottles, did you ever ask for more than one bottle? I only drink water, don't touch soft drinks or alcohol. What size are the bottles? Is one enough if you go on an excursion?

Post more info if you would like. Pool, club lawn, library, dress code? How did you enjoy them?

Great review. Thanks. Curious about the unlimited bottle of water. What is unlimited, I wish they would say for this amount of money you get 30 bottles, did you ever ask for more than one bottle? I only drink water, don't touch soft drinks or alcohol. What size are the bottles? Is one enough if you go on an excursion?

Post more info if you would like. Pool, club lawn, library, dress code? How did you enjoy them?

You get 2 x 500ml bottles per day delivered to your room. If you want more just ask, they are happy to provide.

Thanks for the kind words. On the bottle water: When we arrived there were four bottles in our room and, no matter how many we drank, staff always made sure there were four there. I would estimate, between my wife and I, we drank three dozen bottles over the 10 days.

Formal night was just like any other formal night on a cruise --- some people really went all out, others were in suits and ties, and others decided to stick to the buffet. On this cruise, it seemed as if the women really went all out.

Lawn Club: It was okay. Nice if you like golf putting and bocce. I didn't use it at all. I did notice a number of people sun bathing. Could be because the pool deck, on sea days, was always packed.

The house band played Latin music one night that I can remember, but that was it

Hi Raycruise2010,

When i called celebrity they said that we are not allowed to bring any cases of water/soda....did you see people bringing in cases (6pack) of water/soda?

Thanks

Most have found that if you call celebrity with a question, the person answering the phone selects an M&M from a large bowl..1/2 of the M&M's say yes, the other 1/2 say no.

If you call back, you will likely get a different answer. Should you, by random chance, get another no, ask them where you can find that information on their web site or the cruise documents....and then wait until they tell you the exact line where you'll find it. After they hem/haw ask to speak to a supervisor and ask the same question.

There is nothing in any rule/suggestion/regulation that stops you from bringing water or soda on board and many do it.

My wife and I cruised on the Celebrity Equinox March 16 to 26, 2012 () Caribbean cruise. Here’s what we thought:

Hotel and shuttles: The night prior to the cruise we stayed at the Hampton Inn at 250 N. Andrews Avenue in Ft. Lauderdale. A $20 metered cab ride (plus tip) gets you there from the airport. The Hampton was clean, comfortable and well run with an attentive staff and good, free breakfast. Be aware: some will be put off by the area. While it's an easy10-minute walk from the Hampton to popular Las Olas Blvd., the hotel is on the outskirts of downtown and is very near a park that caters to the homeless. My wife and I actually walked through that park when we made a wrong turn. While that didn’t bother me, it did her, and others will be disturbed as well. Beside Las Olas, there's nothing near the hotel, so you'll need a cab to get around. The Hampton offers a free shuttle to the cruise port, and the shuttle service will take you back to the airport after the cruise for $10 per person, plus tip. A cab costs about the same, and I’d recommend that route. We tried the shuttle and it was fine, especially since we had extra time. But we had to call for the shuttle, wait 25 minutes for it to arrive, and then make two stops before getting to the airport. That’s not a big deal, but if I’m paying the same money I’d rather have the convenience a cab offers --- just for me and my wife, straight to the airport.

Embarkation: A snap. We got To Equinox at 11:25 am and were on board at 12:15 pm.

Mast Grill and Buffet: The Mast Grill on Deck 14 was already open, and that was the beginning of bad for my belly. Burgers and dogs were available, but no fries that early. The burgers and hot dogs were consistently excellent, with grilled onions and mushrooms, bacon, lettuce, tomato and raw onion available as garnishes. The Ocean View Cafe --- the Buffet --- was also open. It was consistently and surprisingly good. Though my wife and I ate mostly salads, we sampled a number of their other items. The pizza was chewy and a little greasy, but okay by cruise ship standards. The sandwiches were very well done, especially the chicken salad, which I ate most days. The hot stations --- stir fry, Indian food a carving station --- offered lots of variety. You could do an entire review based on the buffet alone. You just need to know you won’t be disappointed..

Specialty restaurant discount: Celebrity offered a 20% discount at any of its specialty restaurants the first night and two other times during the cruise. We choose Tuscan Grille. More later

Cabin: We had Aqua Class cabin 1571, a balcony. Very comfortable. At first, we were concerned about storage space, but the large single closet, overhead storage and dresser draws we're amble for two. The spacious bathroom was easy to navigate. The shower rocked, with little massage jets that pushed water anywhere you want. Just fantastic.

We took Aqua only because the price dropped to less than a concierge class balcony cabin. From my perch, I'd pay a nominal additional fee for the few perks. The unlimited bottle water is nice --- especially for those, like us, who drink a lot of it --- and the daily fruit (apples, oranges, grapes) reminded us to eat something healthy. We didn't use the Persian Gardens --- tried it, and were "blahed" by the heated chairs and saunas --- but Blu, the restaurant, was more than worth it. I'd pay a little extra for AQ but wouldn't break the bank.

Blu: consistently fantastic. Nestled near the Tuscan Grille and Silk, it's like eating at a specialty restaurant every night. Among the items we ate: a succulent pheasant cooked to juicy perfection; squab; short ribs; frogs legs in a BBQ sauce; prime rib; lobster in an orange sauce. We had breakfast there most mornings, and the assortment of healthy fare food was a real draw. The egg white omelets were always spot on --- never overlooked, never runny. You can watch the ocean go by from most tables, adding a ambiance that’s hard to find. The service was impeccable; from the third night on, the sommelier remembered what wine my wife and I liked best. The staff remembered my favorite dessert --- apple pie with ice cream --- and made sure I had it just about every night (and it’s not even on the menu). This is the best daily restaurant experience I’ve ever had on a ship. But if you want a specialty place, try ...

Tuscan Grille: this was oh-my-lord good. And I don't mean just for cruise ship food. I mean for food anywhere. This was one of the best meals I’ve ever eaten, anywhere. The seafood stew was incredible, a delicious light broth filled with mussels, shrimp and calamari. My rib eye was cooked to perfection, and I had a side of the lobster alfredo ... Tender, juicy lobster in a cream sauce that coated the spoon --- not too light, not weighted down with too much of any single ingredient. My wife didn’t talk as she ate her fillet. We were going to try Murano, too, but bagged that thought after eating here. And for $24 per person --- we had the 20% first night discount --- we paid chain-restaurant prices for 5-star fare. Do yourself a favor --- get ya some.

Molecular Bar: this, to me, is a strange place. They make drinks out of different ingredients (rose petals, nitrogen, guava foam) and my wife raved about it. So did the others who were drinking these George Jetson concoctions. Prize goes to Andy from San Diego, who ate the scorpion from the bottom of s rum bottle. He said it was chewy. So, if you want something really different, and the chance to slurp a scorpion, this is your place.

Me, I stuck to the bourbons, and I couldn't be happier with the variety and the relatively inexpensive prices. Bookers, bakers, Basil Hayden all could be had for less than $10 a pour --- and that's cheaper than in many bars in big cities across the country.

Is this Ray from Dayton...singin' Ray? If so, this is Dallas, it was fun meeting you guys!

We were on the same cruise and pre-booked all 3 specialty dining venues so we did not get to partake in the 20%off... That being said both my partner and I liked Tuscan Grill the least. I am not a steak eater, but the items I ordered we pretty ordinary. This was out only average comment on what was truly a fantastic vacation. Murano was our dining highlight -- service and cuisine were outstanding.

We were on this cruise, AQ, as well. The water was 0.5L bottles of "Paradiso" brand bottled water. The first day we told our cabin steward we drink a lot of water and asked him to place 8 bottles in our cabin and keep it stocked and he did so throughout the cruise and we never ran out. He did indicate he had to get permission from his supervisor (presumably the Asst. Chief Housekeeper). We didn't see a lot of our cabin steward but he kept the room up as good, or better, than any we've had before and our cabin was in terrific shape.

Dress code is very casual during the day throughout the ship. Evening wear conformed to the published dress codes and on formal nights a good percentage, probably the majority, in Blu complied with the formal dress code even though it is not required there.

Hi Raycruise2010,

When i called celebrity they said that we are not allowed to bring any cases of water/soda....did you see people bringing in cases (6pack) of water/soda?

Thanks

They didn't know what they were talking about. We brought on a 12 pack of soda, left with the dockside porters, and on prior cruises always brought on cases of water (didn't this cruise as it is supplied in AQ). No rules have changed on non-alcoholic beverages.

Most have found that if you call celebrity with a question, the person answering the phone selects an M&M from a large bowl..1/2 of the M&M's say yes, the other 1/2 say no...

You shouldn't demean the methods they use by joking about M&M's when everyone knows they use the Magic 8 Ball!! :rolleyes:

========================

As a general comment on the cruise: It was fantastic and perhaps one of our best on Celebrity. The condition of the ship and stateroom was perfect. The food was perhaps the best we've had on Celebrity overall. We loved Blu. We had meals that were great in Muranos and Tuscan Grill - although the menu's and service in these specialty restaurants were a touch less than on some prior cruises they were still great experiences. The lounge entertainment (guitar player and party band) were excellent. The only show we attended was the Equinox show which was a very nice show of Cirque type acrobatics. The only real complaint I can think of is that after 10 days we had to get off!

Archived