Scuba - Coconut Tree or West End Divers?

pcmom10

I posted this on the scuba/snorkeling board a few days ago and haven't received a response. Maybe someone here can help me out :)

For Discover Scuba would you recommend Coconut Tree Divers or West End Divers in Roatan? Or maybe a different dive shop?

My husband did Discover Scuba in Grand Cayman last year and is a former volunteer firefighter so is familiar with the tanks and such. Our oldest son, 17, is open water certified BUT has never dove in the ocean, our middle son, 15, did a Discover Scuba with boy scouts last fall but was just in a swimming pool, and our youngest son, 13, has only snorkeled. Myself, I can't snorkel so am not even going to try diving. So, I'll hang out on the boat, beach, or the ship.

I was going to book through the ship but that excursion is already sold out!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. We will be on the Carnival Dream the week of June 9th.

I can't really comment on the Discover Scuba aspect of your question. But I can say that I dove with West End Divers last year and they were great.

I have been scuba certified since 1989 but have almost always dove with my husband. This trip I was on a "girls cruise" and dove with my SIL and niece. They buddied up, and there was another couple in our group so I was the only single. I also told dive master my situation and not feeling totally confident without dh. He was so sweet and just told me to stick with him. I did and he was great. He kept an eye on us all - but showed me so many things I would not have seen without his "eagle" eye and knowledge of the reef there.

So, if you go with West End - be sure they will be professional and careful with your kids :D

I posted this on the scuba/snorkeling board a few days ago and haven't received a response. Maybe someone here can help me out :)

For Discover Scuba would you recommend Coconut Tree Divers or West End Divers in Roatan? Or maybe a different dive shop?

My husband did Discover Scuba in Grand Cayman last year and is a former volunteer firefighter so is familiar with the tanks and such. Our oldest son, 17, is open water certified BUT has never dove in the ocean, our middle son, 15, did a Discover Scuba with boy scouts last fall but was just in a swimming pool, and our youngest son, 13, has only snorkeled. Myself, I can't snorkel so am not even going to try diving. So, I'll hang out on the boat, beach, or the ship.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. We will be on the Carnival Dream the week of June 9th.

I can't speak directly about any Discover Scuba program in Roatan but would suggest you contact Enomis Divers and see how they could accomodate you and your family. They are a small dive shop in West End that offers very personalized service at a reasonable price. We are relatively inexperienced divers and dove with them during our cruise ship stop in February. There is also a nice beach right across the street from their shop.

Take a look at some of their reviews on other Trip Advis-ing websites and you will see they get great reviews. Lee, Anita and their team will take good care of you from the time you arrive in the port until the time you leave. We felt very safe with them and had a great time.

Have fun and enjoy your cruise!

The reef and diving are what put Roatan in the map.

I have a friend who lives on the island and only goes out with Coconut Tree. Everyone you talk to has a fav dive shop, everyone is happy and healthy upon return. Diving is what the folks on the island eat, live and breath.

With all that said, I agree small dive shop with very personal service is a grand idea. I was out snorkeling with Anemona Divers at Foster's on West Bay beach the March. There has a family of three from a cruise ship out for the discover dive lesson. They had two dive masters go with them. They were so inspired by the experience they decided to start live lessons.

I don't think you can go very wrong no matter who you choose to dive with.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I have contacted Coconut Tree Divers and am working on confirming reservations with them. They suggested using Murphy's Roatan Tours for transportation but I can't find much about them. I used Bodden Tours last year and were very happy with them so will use Bodden again this time.

My question for you, since I don't plan on diving, how safe is it for me to be alone with either the driver and/or being dropped off somewhere - beach, shopping, etc? My husband is already concerned about me being by myself.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for all the suggestions. I have contacted Coconut Tree Divers and am working on confirming reservations with them. They suggested using Murphy's Roatan Tours for transportation but I can't find much about them. I used Bodden Tours last year and were very happy with them so will use Bodden again this time.

My question for you, since I don't plan on diving, how safe is it for me to be alone with either the driver and/or being dropped off somewhere - beach, shopping, etc? My husband is already concerned about me being by myself.

Any suggestions?

If you want beach Sundowners is a bar right on the Half Moon Bay Beach, they offer beach chairs and drinks with some food choices. It is within sight of Coconut Tree.

I can't begin to imagine why you would not be safe walking the village of West End (I am a solo female traveler and am happy day or night in West End.) to do a bit of shopping there will be many tourists, expats and locals wandering the sand road.

I can not comment of the safety of a random driver.

If you want beach Sundowners is a bar right on the Half Moon Bay Beach, they offer beach chairs and drinks with some food choices. It is within sight of Coconut Tree.

I can't begin to imagine why you would not be safe walking the village of West End (I am a solo female traveler and am happy day or night in West End.) to do a bit of shopping there will be many tourists, expats and locals wandering the sand road.

I can not comment of the safety of a random driver.

Thank you for the info. We've secured spots with Coconut Tree. Super excited and will use Bodden Tours for our transportation - used them last year and had great service. Sundowners looks like a great place to hang out - I found their facebook page :) I loved West End when we were there, all except the sand flies:eek:

Archived