Shopping at Pike Place Market before cruise

Just curious if we are allowed to bring goodies purchased at the market onto the ship, then homeward via airplane after the cruise. Specifically speaking of spices, honey, jams. I understand they will need to go into checked baggage for the flight home.

I would keep my receipts to show I had bought them in Seattle and not worry about customs OR I would have them shipped home from the store directly - or get an online address from them (know what you want) and order them when you get home. I always worry about luggage being over my weight limit.

Just curious if we are allowed to bring goodies purchased at the market onto the ship, then homeward via airplane after the cruise. Specifically speaking of spices, honey, jams. I understand they will need to go into checked baggage for the flight home.

As far as I know, the only thing that the cruise lines restrict is alcohol (they want you to buy theirs!) There may be some customs and agricultural regulations about fresh fruits and veggies and meats going into Canada, and returning--I'm still not sure (tried to research it once before I bought some gourmet beef jerky in Vancouver, and I never could find a definitive answer--but they didn't stop me at the border!:D) But I don't think processed or packaged foods like spices, honey or jams should be a problem.

If you don't want to risk it--or to be bothered hauling around it--there are a couple of UPS Stores within a few blocks of the Market (one at 7th and Stewart, one at 1st and Marion). You could take all your goodies there and have them pack it all up and ship it home for you. A lot of the individual Market vendors also ship, but if you're buying at a few different shops, this might be a better option.

anything with seeds will be a problem with Cdn customs. Jams etc are considered liquids so would need to be in checked luggage. Since you stop in Canada on an Alaska cruise you don't want to have fresh fruit, things with seeds. The spices you should be fine with.

Last August we cruised to Alaska from Seattle (pier 91) on Princess. First we stayed 2 nights at the 6th Ave. Sheraton, (very nice hotel - lots of people coming and going and walking everywhere) spent a day walking around/shopping at Pike Place Market. My SIL bought jam to take home to CA, my daughter a poster/magnets, cd, etc. We didn't buy any other fruits or other foods to take on board. We had no problems boarding or departing. I noticed a lot of people bringing their fresh flowers/huge wrapped bouquets purchased from the market with them on the ship - a nice touch for their stateroom and one I didn't even think of, if you're willing to carry the fragile stems around. Have fun shopping - I loved the atmosphere even though it was very crowded. And my husband and teen girls had to see the famous gum wall, alley, near the market and add their chewed up contribution to the art(?) if one could call old chewed up gum stuck on a brick wall art - but the wall had lots of other people doing the same thing and lots of people taking pictures of their unique experience - HA!

Archived