BEST dog sled? - Skagway or Juneau

mommabean

Does anyone have any idea if one or the other is really any better? We are cruising with RCI and they offer the dog sled excursion in both places - just a small difference in price. But Juneau is a longer excursion, I assume because of the distance to the heliport. Am I correct about this? I'm also aware of TEMSCO in in Skagway and Coastal in Juneau. Would either one of these offer an advantage other than price over the cruise line? The price difference isn't that great. Is one area snowier? Is one flight over the glacier or glaciers any better really?

The biggest thing I felt going against TEMSCO is that they offer half price to kids. I'd prefer to remain childless on this, our first trip with no kids in over 1/4 century, so I don't want to end up with little kids belonging to others on my flight because of the price break they offer. I realize that some people may be willing to pay full price for their kids so I may end up on a flight with kids anyway. Just how many people go in each helicopter?

I don't want to waste time on the transportation to the heliport in Juneau if the Skagway trip is just as nice. In Skagway I could fit this in as a second excursion and still get to go kayaking in Juneau. If I take this excursion in Juneau it will be the only one we can fit in there.

Help please.

Thank you for your reply BQ. I'm thinking Skagway sounds more like the place I should go for it. The time for the cruise tour I would like was already booked so I booked the next one a little later than I prefer. I am even going to check with TEMSCO to see if they have something available at an earlier time in the afternoon that I'd like. I just need to wait for a reply from them now - it's not even 6am there yet.

We have something scheduled in each port now with the extra dog sled excursion in Skagway. Since it's such a long stopover, we'll have time for 2 things. If it does by chance get canceled, at least we still have something planned.

You should actually call TEMSCO in Skagway directly. They're number is (866) 833-2900. They seem to be more responsive when you talk to them over the phone. For most of the winter there has only been one person working in the Skagway office of TEMSCO, Craig. I think maybe since we're almost at cruise season, they have more staff. Anyhow, during the winter months, since Craig seemed to be inundated with email, it took him a few days to reply. If you talk to him over the phone he can answer your questions right away and book your trip for you. TEMSCO only requires a $50 deposit that is fully refundable if for some reason the trip is cancelled. You pay the balance the day of your excursion.

However, since we are almost at cruising season, TEMSCO may be booked up independently. I heard somone on another thread back in February say they tried to call TEMSCO directly for their late May sailing and TEMSCO was filled up idependently, but that they could still book through they're ship, which was almost a $50 difference in price.

You realize that TEMSCO is the tour operator that every cruise line in Skagway uses for its helicopter and dog sled excursions, right? So regardless of whether you book through the ship or idependently, you're still going to end up going through TEMSCO.

Thank you jstducky. They did just email me back and said the time frame I was looking for is available. I immediately called them. I had heard they were the company used by the cruise ship and ask this which SHE confirmed. I guess the staff is in. :)

I was very surprised about the small $50 deposit required. And it's $21 cheaper per person than Royal Caribbean. I would have done it through whoever it took to get the time I wanted.

She did say that the discount for children is something they WERE doing in the past but don't plan to continue. There must be enough demand for this that there is no need to offer discounts.

RCI had their first 2 time slots of the day booked with only 4:15 available. I really didn't want to go over our early dinner seating time on the ship. Now we will be back at 4:15 giving us time to see a little in town before dinner or just relax.

Thank you for your information. I'm sure it will be helpful to others, not just to me.

I actually figured out that there is a very effective search feature at this forum. I was surprised it worked so well. But your post really wrapped up some of those bits and pieces into one post.

Mommabean:

Glad to hear that it all worked out for you.

Also glad to hear that they're staff must be in and working and poor Craig isn't stucking holding down the fort on his own!

Anyhow, I booked the Valley of the Glaciers helicopter trip with them, and they were 1) cheaper than RCI by about $20 like you said, and 2) the time slot I got was much better than the one that was being offered by the ship.

I'm doing the train ride in the morning, which should give me just enough time to come back to the ship, have lunch, and then walk to the dock to meet TEMSCO for my helicopter ride. but that also gives me a couple of hours to walk around the town after we're done to do some shopping before my early dinner seating as well.

I too was surprised about the low deposit amount, but was grateful for it!

Enjoy your trip to Alaska! I am sure you will have the time of your lives!

jstducky,

You must be taking the serenade 2 weeks after us. We go on the 12th.

I thought we had to walk to the heliport. Do they have a pick up at the dock? They said it's as much as a 30 minute walk from the farthest dock. Or is the heliport considered at the dock and that is how long it takes to get from one end to the other. Just where is this heliport? We will be docked by the railroad tracks - aft. I bet this is the farthest dock. Do you have any idea about any of this?

They are going to send me info but obviously I can't wait to find out. :)

Mommabean:

My Serenade cruise is July 3-10.

As far as the TEMSCO heliport... it depends on which dock we are at. If we are at the furthest dock away from their operations, its a walk, but I wouldn't say 30 minutes. But when I was in Skagway in July 2003 on a HAL ship, the RCI ship that was docked next to us was also the dock which TEMSCO had their heliport, so I am hoping its the same set up this year. If so, all you have to do is walkoff the gangway and basically you're there!

as for the train, if you purchased train tickets through RCI, that means that RCI charters their own train and there are tracks that lead to each dock. so the train will be awaiting you as you get off the ship right at the dock.

If you are the third ship back on the Railroad dock, it is a walk to TEMSCO. Could take 30 mins. if you are a slow walker. But there is a shuttle that cuts the walk to a few blocks. There is only one ship dock at the end of Broadway- where they are located and I have most always seen HAL docked there. The schedule should say where your ship is docked?

Budget Queen,

Yes, I do believe we will be the last ship all the way back at the railroad dock. That's what the schedule says. I figured 30 minutes would be the slow walker time. I can make it much faster.

Our first excursion should have us back to the ship around 12:30 and the flight is scheduled for 2:15. We wanted to be able to grab something to eat and change and get there.

Does this shuttle that we can take have a name? And where would we find it? Just in case. If we have to wait a half hour for it to come by, we may as well walk...quickly.

The shuttle goes back and forth from the stand in front of the first ship - to downtown, drops off at 2nd and Broadway. May also do other drops? But that is the one you want then a walk down Broadway toward the dock, TEMSCO on the right.

Does anyone know how many ships can DOCK in Skagway? We were on Radiance of the Seas a couple of years ago and we had to anchor and tender in as the dock was full. We sat on our warm sunny balcony and watched the helicopters and float planes take off and land right in front of us. We didn't mind being anchored out at all! We had rented a car there and drove to Emerald Lake. It was a great day at our leisure. Along a dirt road off the main highway we spent about an hour following and observing a bear right next to the car. We would rent a car again there. The highway takes the same route as the train for some of the route.

Archived