Renting a car in Moorea

I have found that all the lookouts are called Belvedere.

We rented a car last year for the first time. Automatic from Avis Pacificar - Sandrine . Did it by email and it worked out well. She was at the dockl. I think all day 8hours cost us $80 or so.

We first drove towards le Petit Village to do some shopping then to the Belvedere with a stop at the agricultural station for icecream and vanilla and jams. Then to Temae Beach and then to Sofitel. We have always loved the Sofitel beach. Really enjoyed lunch there then enjoyed the beach and back to the port.

There was no need to go to the Petite Village but we went there as I wanted to visit a particular shop. Unfortunately the shop was closed down.

If you go to the Hilton after it is a lot closer.

Makes a nice day.

Yes, I think the word "belvedere" is French for "scenic lookoout", or something similar.

I'm pretty certain the road up to the lookout on Moorea is paved, we've also rented and driven around. We had booked with Avis, but they didn't show up, so we used Albert's, who were right at the dock soliciting customers. 4 hours was plenty for us, although we didn't get all the way around the island.

We spent considerable time in a tattoo parlour, and almost got tattoos, but pooped out at the last minute.

Rented a car a couple of months ago through Albert's. Worked out great and we drove around the entire island, up to Belvedere, the agricultural school, etc etc. 5 hours with insurance and gas was around $100.

I am sure ALbert will give you a map. Avis gives a map. Honestly there are not many roads so hard to get lost. If you dont have much time I wouldnt drive around the island - just up to Belvedere and then to either Hilton or Sofitel for snorkelling. Arrange your snorkelling with the hotel in advance. In the old days Princess guests were too many in number for the hotels so they had some difficulty using the facilities. Times are tough in FP now so likely different. Sofitel can still be fussy so one needs to pre arrange.

For PG travellers Sandy in the travel concierge area kindly arranged for us to visit the Sofitel.

We'll be doing the car rental before the cruise and just using it to see the sights on land primarily. Take some photos, go up belvedere, do some shopping then head over to the ship. We will have just stayed 3 nights at the Hilton and will have done a lot of snorkeling (and diving) during that time. We might stop to look at the Sofitel and IC, but wouldn't be "using" the facilities.

Nothing special about the Sofitel but if you are driving past Maharepa then stop by at Temae Beach - turnoff is opposite the airport. Its the only long beach - stretch of sand in the area and is used by locals. The Sofitel is at the end of temae beach. IC used to have turtles and I love the shop there.

Temae beach is spectacular. No trees though so make sure you have plenty of sunscreen. Only ONE other person was there when we were. I think this is the best spot on the island.

Also I parked at the IC and just walked up to the pool and beach. I don't think anyone would have stopped me from using the facilities. However there were a few people from the ship there that had paid so maybe that's why I was not approached.

I was just thinking, we can't go swimming as we won't have towels-- we will have checked out of the Hilton and not yet checked into the ship, and we wont be packing towels as luggage space will be at a premium. But we can still stop by and take some photos.

Wendy I love your idea....we don't actually NEED towells huh? Looking forward to finding the beach mentioned above when we spend our 3 nights post cruise in Moorea at the IC. Almost done with my insane hours... 9 more days! Then I can get serious about planing our trip. I can't believe its actually getting close now!

Archived