Ring of fire or Katmai for Bears in Homer?

Liz315

Has anyone done the ring for fire volcano flight tour? It looks amazing but I am torn between the volcano and the bears flight tour to Katmai, only time for one of these.

Other than flying directly over and around the volcanoes, you can see the volcanoes going for the bear tours. A lot of the pilots fly over the "valley of 10,000 smokes" which is a very old volcano and you can see the layer of ash.

Bear tours in the Katmai, particularly those run by Hallo Bay, are simply spectacular. You don't want to miss the chance to see huge salmon fed brown bears up close and personal. Mid-August-September is the best time to see the bears. They literally spend entire days feeding in the ocean and streams during the silver salmon spawning season power feeding to get ready for winter. They take short naps on the beaches and go right back to feeding.

Enjoy-I have been to Hallo Bay numerous times-always in late August-September. Always something different. And watching two 4 year old bears play for well over 1/2 hour 20 feet in front of me was a highlight of my life.

That is great news to learn that I can see/do both together. My trip is already planned for the last week in June, what are my chances of having a similar experience? Thanks so much for the info.

Chance of bear encounter is in direct relation to the Salmon runs.

According to the official stats from the Katmai National Park, the Salmon Runs usually starts from late-June then peaks throughout July each year, and also salmon spawns in September. So any visit within these days are expected to have a good chance to view bears in Katmai.

Hope this helps.

Hallo Bear trips are spectacular....You WILL see bears any day you go from the time they get up from hibernation until they hibernate. The tours know exactly where the bears are going to be....(This is not the tours to Brooks Falls)....in the early spring they are on the coast getting roots and clams, in the later spring they go back into the interiors and during the salmon runs they are in the streams. I have been as close as 7' to some big "brownies" and have had as many as 18 bears surround me. You may have to walk a mile or 2 on swampy land or on sand but if you can do that....do it....I have been lucky enough to have done it several times at different times of the year...and each was special. It is expensive...but the katmai bears are absolutely wonderful....They are better than the bears that cross my yard....:)

Chance of bear encounter is in direct relation to the Salmon runs.

According to the official stats from the Katmai National Park, the Salmon Runs usually starts from late-June then peaks throughout July each year, and also salmon spawns in September. So any visit within these days are expected to have a good chance to view bears in Katmai.

Hope this helps.

You info is ONLY relevant to Brooks, the part of the Katmai that is controlled by the US government. There are private enclaves in the Katmai that know where the bears are every single day. As laughing husky posted, Hallo Bay does not restrict their bear viewing to a few viewing platforms as does the National Park. You may see bears in the meadows, in the streams or in the ocean, particularly in late August/September when the bears literally spend entire days doing nothing but power feeding in the ocean to get ready for winter.

Brownies are brown bears that are coastal bears...sorta exactly like Grizzly bears...They tend to be bigger because there is a better food supple for them...and yes, I have been able to count 18 bears around me....and yes they have come within 7' of me....Quite spectacular and very safe as long as you are with one of their guides....NOT safe if you are hiking the coastal trail in Anchorage or going up on some of the trails....

You info is ONLY relevant to Brooks, the part of the Katmai that is controlled by the US government. There are private enclaves in the Katmai that know where the bears are every single day. As laughing husky posted, Hallo Bay does not restrict their bear viewing to a few viewing platforms as does the National Park. You may see bears in the meadows, in the streams or in the ocean, particularly in late August/September when the bears literally spend entire days doing nothing but power feeding in the ocean to get ready for winter.

What you say is correct. We were at Kulik in September 2010, and the restrictions like those at Brooks did not apply, with bears and people basically commingling (well, sort of) around the waters. During our stay, I think there was a minimum of 3:1 ratio in terms of the visible bear population to the number of people in and around Kulik River. It was amazing. See below for my wife's "commingling" with da bears in the Kulik River. ;)

232323232%7Ffp63388%3Enu%3D3337%3E65%3B%3E3%3B8%3EWSNRCG%3D3554%3C2%3B452336nu0mrj

Archived