1st Timers to Alaska

rcymmolly

Oh thank you, thank you! I could hardly wait to get on CC this morning to see if you had responded:D! I'm really leaning toward NCL now if we choose to change our plans from a 2 week land only trip to a one way cruise/1 week on land trip.

I have heard many, many things about the wonderful suite perks on NCL, but unfortunately, that won't be in our budget - the reason for switching to one week on a cruise was how much cheaper it would be to have one week w/all our accomodations, transportation, and meals included vs. blowing the bank on just the RT flights from PA to Anchorage. So for us, no matter which line we choose to sail on if we go this option, it will be an inside cabin, or an oceanview if we choose to "splurge." Actually, that is more than fine for us - we spend ALL our free time up on deck, and only use our cabin for sleeping and showering.

I appreciate your insight, thanx again. Your enthusiasm for NCL and the laid back product it would offer is right up our alley. Now I feel more confident moving forward with doing a cost comparison based on NCL's prices. I'll be working up some cost comparisons this weekend so DH and I can make a decision as to whether we want the 2 week land only trip vs. the 1 week cruise/1 week land trip for 2013.

Again - much appreciated!

The main thing I've learned because we've cruised 6 different lines now, they are really more alike than different. Don't get me wrong - there are differences BUT go into each with an open mind and try to experience/enjoy the differences. Some may be to your liking, some may not. I wasn't a huge fan of our HAL Alaskan cruise, but there were things I did like. And it wasn't really HAL - more who they attracted (as a whole, but pretty prevalent). But loved that the ship went to Sitka (though we did miss not going to Skagway). NCL is a really good product if you are looking for a casual atmosphere and formal nights 100% optional. And I cannot say enough about the wonderful officers - if they learn your name, they will call you by name the whole trip. They are not HAL and don't pretend to be. As long as you don't expect the different lines to do everythng the same, you should enjoy the Sun.

We also enjoy Celebrity but we a non-smokers so we welcome their smoking policies. We do the formal thing when sailng X because we do enjoy the MDR and having DS use all those table manners we work on at home, but give the option of no formal - we'll take it in a heartbeat!

We have booked ourselves a cruisetour! We are going with Princess.

We will fly into Fairbanks, then to Denali, then on to Whittier to get on the ship!

We have stops in Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau.

What do yall recommend for excursions? Especially doing with Native Americans, history, dogsledding and wildlife. I don't think we will be able to swing any plane rides or heli tours. Any other ideas?

Thanks for all your help!

That's the itinerary we did with Princes in '08, except we went north instead of south. I suggest the following:

• Fairbanks: Riverboat Discovery Cruise & Gold Panning. Fun & informative.
  • Denali: The Park Service long bus tour. Great sights & the buses are better than in years past. Rafting on the Nenana River Canyon is wonderful too. I suggest the "quiet" run, rather than the :thrilling" run.
  • Talkeetna: Just walk around & enjoy the town's shops and restaurants.
  • Skagway: We did a horseback ride (disappointing) and the town tour by "old time" car (fun). However, based on feedback from others I suggest the White Pass Rail trip.
  • Juneau: Whale watching. A must.
  • Ketchikan: Based on feedback from my DW, I suggest the Lumberjack Show. I fished when we were there. :)

Alaska is an incredible place and whatever excursions you choose I am sure you'll have a great time.

Juneau - I'd suggest whale watching independently. I've used both Harv & Marv and Alaska Galore - both of which I'd recommend highly. Small boats (12 people or less - H&M have a couple of small boats holding only 6 passengers but they do not take kids under 13).

Skagway - I second White Pass Rail Road - but book independently with Chilkoot tours. We did the 7 hour Yukon trip and love it. Have a friend who went with us on this tour. He & his wife have cruise well over 75 times, probably 10 to Alaska, and he still raves about this tour and recommends it to everyone he knows going to Skagway.

We've been to Ketchikan twice. The first time, DH felt he had lost control and wouldn't let me book anything. So we walked to the salmon hatchery/eagle preserve. It was interesting, but not awesome. We also walked to the little museum about the Alaskan Indians. The 2nd time, I booked the DUCK tour. They are always fun and interesting and you also get a water perspective. Just a note so you can be prepared - been there 2X, both times raining (it's a rainforest) so keep that in mind.

Research a combo cruise/land vacation with Princess. They own a lodge in Denali that is used as part of the package.

However, for what you are wanting, I don't think you can use the word "budget"' :)

Also check Holland America (HAL). Many times HAL runs deal where the third person is $99 or even free.

HAL and Princess have been doing Alaska longer than anyone else and have their own infrastructure. Our teen DDs liked HAL for Alaska.

Archived