Upgraded?? - When do you find out?

midime

I just booked the 14 night cruise for Sea Princess (April 8, 2006) out of Fort Lauderdale. I went through the Princess website and was told I was being put on the 'upgrade list'. I don't know if the same company that owns Princess also owns Carnival, Royal Caribbean or Celebrity, but we have sailed on those ships also, and I think because we have sailed on another ship that the company may own, we were put on the upgrade list. Just a guess.

I have never heard of an "upgrade list" in those terms. There is a place for your TA or Princess to leave you open and available for upgrades or decline all upgrades as you like where you cabin is located and really don't want to change it.

It is still the luck of the computer fairy no matter in which terms it is stated.

If any TA explains it like there is a special list that they can put you on, they are pulling your chain, sorry!

I have received an upgrade 10 to 14 days:D before sailing and once the day before.:eek: There is no telling. It all depends if the upgrade fairy is in a good mood or happens to need your cabin to make more money.:rolleyes:

We had booked a BC cabin for the June 11 sailing of the Golden. About 8 weeks ahead I phoned our TA because I had read on the boards that several groups on the cruise just prior to ours had been upgraded. TA phoned Princess and they told him they'd upgrade us to an AC minisuite. Great news! Maybe it helps to ask. We had been told that we were on an upgrade list, too, but I'm not sure it would have happened without the intervention of our TA.

We were upgraded about a month and a half before our upcoming cruise. TA said he really went to bat with Princess to get us all upgrades. The prices had dropped an awful lot and the minis can now be had for less than what we paid for a balcony. I would imagine that would have factored into Princess's decision to upgrade us to a mini.

Well I hope we get upgraded anyway. Ours were the last few inside cabins available and they're on Caribe 105, 109 at the very front of the ship. I'm tempted to change them if I can at a reasonable cost (Xmas is mucho dollares).

I had no idea holiday cruises would book up so quickly. So, if I change them, then maybe I'll get upgraded from that!!!! Here's hoping.

Fifteen Princess cruises and never an upgrade; sixteenth it happened...........................at the pier when checking in we were upgraded from Dolphin obstructed to Aloha Balcony........................................yea................it was fabulous on the long journey from Venice to Ft. Lauderdale last October,,,,,,,,,a transatlantic repositioning. Was a wonderful cruise weatherwise and ports were uncrowded and easy to check out without Princess tours,,,,,,,,,hooked up with others and rented taxis for the day or just did ports on our own from the dock.........................next cruise 2006, Alaska.

We got our documents yesterday and we asked for an upgrade to a balcony, that we would pay within reason, now that we havenot been upgraded, are we not going to be, since we got documents and cabin number. I go on line and see plenty of balconies left, we are cruising in four weeks. I ooked thru a TA and she says we are in the Princess system for an upgrade.

Wondering how it all works

Thanks

Even though your documents have arrived, there is still a chance for an upgrade. BUT............many don't realize that the chances of upgrades are always slim. Maybe 1% of the entire ship (maybe less) receives an upgrade to a higher category cabin.

Best to always book the category cabin you want and not gamble on a free upgrade, that way you will never be disappointed.

Our second cruise last Christmas/NY was almost fully booked when we took an inside cabin 10 months earlier. Once an outside cabin became available we upgraded ourselves then at final payment we changed from an obstructed view cabin on E deck to a guaranty.

Someone had told us we would have a much higher chance of being upgraded if we did this and since we had nothing to lose as we orginally had one of the lowest category of OV cabins we did the switch to gty. They gave us our new cabin number two days later, another cabin on E deck but not obstructed so already we had done better.

A week before we sailed we were upgraded to a balcony cabin on Baja deck. The cabin they had given us on the gty was a quad cabin and they needed it for a family of four... we were just two so we got to move... :D

So... even though holiday cruises book out early there is still a chance of an upgrade. I really don't think it has anything to do with status, your TA or dollars spent either, just luck of the draw. Good Luck to you!

Kim

So if I understand correctly, you just go to your profile on the Princess website and your cabin number is suddenly a different cabin?? For example I am currently booked D600 for an October cruise. I could go on-line and suddenly see a different cabin number? I assume at that point if I liked my original cabin better I can call and get it switched back?

SLU-The answer to your question is MAYBE. If you booked a guarantee or not, sometimes your original cabin is no longer available once you see the new cabin number. IF you definitely want a certain cabin, have your TA or Princess mark your booking NO UPGRADES.

Archived