Another Cozumel Car Rental ?

TPFilm

Ok, I know that there have been tons of posts from people like me looking for info on car rental in Cozumel. However, I noticed that most of the posts are three to four years old, with answers from the same time period. So...

Coming in on Miracle in September. I am aware of the vaguries of marine travel and understand that the Miracle could put into the same pier as she has for months, but she could also put into a pier that she has never gone to. That being said, and understanding that you MAY pay for the convience of renting at the pier (let's see... rent at the pier or... take a cab to the city - time and money - pick up car. Later, get gas, use gas getting backk to town, return car, get cab, get back to pier - time and money! Rent at pier... get off ship, walk to stand drive away, return car walk to ship.) Anyway...

I actually wanted to rent one of two types of cars. One I have only found through one company: the VW Safari (Thing to us yankees.) Less Pay seems to be the only co on the island (or the world as far as I know!) that rents these. Question for you Cozumelenos: are you familiar with this company. Have you heard anything about them? Are they reputable? For the other cruisers checking these boards... Have you used them? What was your experience? Would it be possible for one of the exPats to wander over to their office and check them out? Do the employees look trustworthy? Do the cars appear to be in good working condition? Do you notice a lot of happy/angry customers? Would YOU rent from them? Why? Why not?

The other is the VW Sedan (Bug to us Yankees.) I think it may be fun to drive a newer model Old VW Bug (I know they quite making them recently.) I see the web sites offering "topless" VW bugs. Are they convertibles or if it rains are you SOL?

Also, the road to the northern point of the island... Is it hard pack or loose sand? Would a VW Safari make it down the road to the lighthouse? Would a rental Jeep or Tracker (are they 4X4?)

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

We rented with Avis 10/4 & 10/03. We made are reservations prior to sailing & just went to the pier location to get our car ... very convenient.

As far as the lighthouse goes, none of the rental agencies we looked at would allow the rental cars to drive on the road to the lighthouse. Guess it is a dirt road that is hard on the cars.

Hello,

We used Avis too. They were great. $35 total for the day. 4 door with a/c. If you come into a different peir they will bring the car to you. It takes about 10 minutes. They were really great. Take Care. Just go up to their web site and book it.

Archived