Sending Salmon home from Alaska

islandgals

You want packaged smoked salmon?? I really like Taku Smokery Sockeye Salmon, in Juneau. just superb. There are a lot of "products" in gift shops that are so so in my opinion. :)

OR are you talking about smoking salmon you catch??

For those in the know - Isn't there an issue shipping salmon into Canada? From what I remember in past years, you could not ship any 'fresh' items (fresh frozen salmon, crab, etc) to Canada. From what I remember the smoked/canned salmon was fine but there was an issue with anything not processed.

Is that info still correct?

For those in the know - Isn't there an issue shipping salmon into Canada? From what I remember in past years, you could not ship any 'fresh' items (fresh frozen salmon, crab, etc) to Canada. From what I remember the smoked/canned salmon was fine but there was an issue with anything not processed.

Is that info still correct?

You are correct. FRESH salmon being imported into Canada needs both a USDA and a Canadian ag certificate. There are only a few processors in Alaska who can comply with both requirements (Coalpoint in Homer is one). One big reason why so much of the commercial salmon out of Alaska is flash frozen and sent by barge/ferry to Seattle.

Canned/smoked is OK.

Archived