RC COBA Mayan Ruin Tour??

Has anyone recently done the RC Coba Mayan Ruin Tour in the past few months? Would like to know if you had enough time to see and climb the ruins with the added lunch and Mayan show? Would like anyone's opinion please. We are sailing the end of May and would like to know a few details. Thank you.:o

• 1 month later...

I did on Carnival the Tulum tour(7 hours give or take) I thought there was way too much travel time and yes we got to explore but didn't have enough time to shop(real disappointed), they gave a bag lunch on our excursion. I liked it but I felt rushed. Don't let my opinion sway you. The views and ruins are awesome.. So worth the visit. Then again I'm a history buff. I'm not sure how RCCL does it. I know others can chime in with more info and experience

We did the COBA tour with RC. And we would do it again. The experience of climbing and seeing the ruins is an experience we won't forget. We had no issues on the ferry ride over nor any problems on the bus. The ride to the ruins went fast because the guide was talking about the Mayan history which was very informative and interesting. We had another guide at the ruins who was excellent and very knowledgable about the Mayans. We love history like. We got to climb on some of the ruins and look in areas that at other ruins you can't even get that close to them. Once we got to the temple and it came into view it was awesome to see it. We climbed the 142 steps to the top and we could see out over the jungle. When we were at the top a thunderstorm rolled in and we just got down from climbing and it downspoured. Needless to say everyone on the tour was drenched to the bone. But it did not put a damper on what we saw and did. The bus ride back to the restaurant was pretty quick and we ate at a place called Aluxia which was down inside a cave. They did a Mayan purification rite and dances in costume. It was interesting and neat. The food was good and plentiful (I am not much of a Mexican food person but the rest of my family really liked it). We would defintely do it again. Yes it is a long day, but if you never seen or climbed ruins before it is so worth it. They are still planning to close the climbing part down soon.

We have a family home in the Yucatan, we have visited most of the Mayan ruins over the years. ANY trip to the ruins is worth it. Coba is spectacular. The ruins have become really beaten-down by tourists, it is worth the hours in the bus to see them while they are still magnificent.

Anyone who visited 20 years ago and does so regularly knows what I am talking about. Parts of Chitzen Itza are closed off ( you would not know it if you have never been there) and in many sites the pyramids are restricting climbing. SO GO WHILE YOU CAN!!!!

We have a family home in the Yucatan, we have visited most of the Mayan ruins over the years. ANY trip to the ruins is worth it. Coba is spectacular. The ruins have become really beaten-down by tourists, it is worth the hours in the bus to see them while they are still magnificent.

Anyone who visited 20 years ago and does so regularly knows what I am talking about. Parts of Chitzen Itza are closed off ( you would not know it if you have never been there) and in many sites the pyramids are restricting climbing. SO GO WHILE YOU CAN!!!!

I agree with go while you can. We also agree about how the ruins are becoming beaten-down. My whole family feels that the stone tablets that have the dates and pictures on them should be in a museum or some sort of building on site, instead they are outside. It was neat to see them in their natural habitat, but you can see they are being ruined by the elements. It is so worth it to see and climb the ruins.

Have seen many Mayan ruins. Some, of course, I just loved. Being a senior, is there much walking to the ruins? Also, how much has been excavated?

It is a mile walk to the actual temple you climb, but on the Royal Caribbean tour you will see other ruins on the way to the temple. It is not a strenuous walk to the ruins, but if you climb the temple it will be. There are several ruins not excavated yet and you can see where they are. I think money is an issue for COBA to unearth more ruins. Overall if you are somewhat in good shape and do walking you can do this tour. Use your judgement to climb. It is well worth it.

I just booked (literally last night) a four night cruise on Liberty of the Seas in November specifically to see the Mayan ruins (been on my list of "must dos" for a long time).

In the line of the OP, for those of you who have seen both - is there one that is a must see over the other? Right now, I am completely torn. Actually, my prior sentence probably came off wrong - I value opinions for anyone who has seen either of the sites. I'm just torn between the two.

The length of the excursion, is not a factor (I don't mind how long the day is). I'm happy to walk on uneven ground, slather on sunscreen, carry an umbrella, beat away bugs, etc etc - whatever is needed to see the best Mayan ruins (I'm sad I can only pick one for this cruise).

Tulum with its coastal perch seems like such a unique landscape. I have read from other sites that many of the ruins are roped off, is this true?

Coba sounds amazing, deep in the jungle. If anyone is taking this tour between now and November, please feel free to come back and update if you could still climb the temple. To me that would be a massive highlight of the tour. The pictures I have seen are breathtaking.

- Overall, on the RC excursions to the place, are you allow to separate from the guide and wander on your own once your reach the ruins? Do they set up a "return back to the bus" time? While I certainly value an experts opinion and commentary, sometimes I tend to get caught up taking pictures and lag behind.

- My understanding is that Tulum is a bag lunch, and Coba is a lunch in a ... cavern? How were either of these? (not a huge factor - I'm really about the quality/interest in the ruins, I'd eat just about anything, but totally curious).

- Any opportunities for shopping? (again, I don't overly care about this, but who doesn't love a good souvenir now and then). Anything actually locally made?

Thank you so much for your time!

Archived