Stateroom Changes - Good and Bad

astrocat

We are booked for Silhouette July 5 .. today I called to see if the Europe "2nd guest" deal would apply to us .. it doesn't. However, we have two staterooms booked and for the second of these (an Oceanview, no Verandah), they have upgraded us to a Guaranteed Verandah. Now we just have to wait and see what the allocation is.

That's the good news.

The (potentially) bad news was that in subsequently checking the other stateroom, I found that we had been moved from our beloved 1075 (angled hump, large verandah which we booked more than six months ago) to 1656, which appears to be an 'ordinary' C2 towards the rear of the ship.

Have just rung Celebrity in Miami ($$ when you live in NZL) and they say they are putting us back in 1075. Hopefully it will show up shortly.

The moral of this story? Thanks to Cruise Critic for previous advice to keep an eye on your bookings. And to Alfredo at Celebrity who has promised me he will come through with the desired result!

Hopefully, all's well that ends well but IF I hadn't been watching it, 1075 could have disappeared forever!

I am still wondering why we were changed. Was it just a clerical error? Or was it because 1075 is a 'more desirable' stateroom, and X were trying to 're-sell' it? What do you think?

We are booked for Silhouette July 5 .. today I called to see if the Europe "2nd guest" deal would apply to us .. it doesn't. However, we have two staterooms booked and for the second of these (an Oceanview, no Verandah), they have upgraded us to a Guaranteed Verandah. Now we just have to wait and see what the allocation is.

That's the good news.

The (potentially) bad news was that in subsequently checking the other stateroom, I found that we had been moved from our beloved 1075 (angled hump, large verandah which we booked more than six months ago) to 1656, which appears to be an 'ordinary' C2 towards the rear of the ship.

Have just rung Celebrity in Miami ($$ when you live in NZL) and they say they are putting us back in 1075. Hopefully it will show up shortly.

The moral of this story? Thanks to Cruise Critic for previous advice to keep an eye on your bookings. And to Alfredo at Celebrity who has promised me he will come through with the desired result!

Hopefully, all's well that ends well but IF I hadn't been watching it, 1075 could have disappeared forever!

I am still wondering why we were changed. Was it just a clerical error? Or was it because 1075 is a 'more desirable' stateroom, and X were trying to 're-sell' it? What do you think?

I am not sure of their motives for the cabin move. Maybe they thought it was an upgrade to a better deck or something like that, but I am glad it has worked out well for you.:D.

We are also on the 5th July cruise (2 ocean view rooms booked, 5 passengers, UK flights). What is the Europe "2nd guest" deal you are referring to? Can't see any mention on Celebrity site. We are making final payment this weekend so want to look at any potential upgrades/deals before then. Thanks.

Aristocat... what happened to you is very interesting. The same thing happened to us. Two years ago we booked an Australian cruise in December/12. A little while ago, I just happened to look at our booking and found Celebrity had changed our cabin! When I called they gave no explanation for the change, but put us back in our original room. Its a good thing it was still available. I wonder how many other people this has happened to. They might get a surprise when they board.

We are also on the 5th July cruise (2 ocean view rooms booked, 5 passengers, UK flights). What is the Europe "2nd guest" deal you are referring to? Can't see any mention on Celebrity site. We are making final payment this weekend so want to look at any potential upgrades/deals before then. Thanks.

Hi Netherton .. here is a link .. on the Celebrity page, it is called the Europe Summer Savings Special.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/genericHtmlTemplate.do?pagename=summer_europe_savings_bogo_event&ICID=CEL_12Q2_BOGO_Summer_Europe_savings

And it could well be worthwhile to ask about moving up to a Guaranteed Verandah while you are on to it. See you on board!

M&D ... yes it could indeed be a bit of a shock to get onboard and discover the change. I understand that (like an airline) Celebrity is ENTITLED to switch rooms, but WHY they do it remains a mystery.

When booking early, one of the perks is having a wider selection of rooms to choose from, and there are usually very valid reasons why bookers chose a particular room. Other posters have previously said that you can request your booking not to be changed, but I have never got around to actually doing this.

One of the issues is that guests (such as myself :D) take a proprietry interest in 'THEIR' rooms. Of course, you can REQUEST a room, but in the end, it is always Celebrity's room to do with as they wish.

In our case, a C2 with such a big balcony is what we wanted. This change saw us remaining C2, with a smaller verandah. But even being 'upgraded' to a C1 would not have really been welcome, unless it too had the larger balcony!

Cant wait to cruise!

Archived