Medi Vac

misterchatter

as a paramedic, and from experience working offshore, i can tell you it is EXPENSiVE!!! I always purchase trip insurance, and keep my DAN insurance up to date, just in case something was to happen. I would estimate an average medivac would be between $8-$15k, depending on location and type of injury or illness.

A year ago, an elderly woman had to be helicoptered off the Crystal Symphony and the captain told me it would cost the woman in the range of $25,000 to $27,000. This was an evac from the Atlantic Ocean to the Canary Islands. My insurance agency told me that depending on where in the world you're located, and how far the evac is, the price generally starts at $10,000 and goes up from there.

• 1 month later...

My husband may still be on coumadin when we go on Westerdam Sep 8. Do you know anything about Medical on Westerdam?

Going to talk to our TA today about i. May be just a weekly blood test. Hopefully don't have to go to hospital for it. Will be away from home 12-13 days.

my email is emmalbrent@juno.com

Medivac's are usually charged on an hourly basis so the cost depends on how far it has to go. My sister (a nurse) said that the Medivac from her hospital costs $10,000/hour from the time they leave the hospital. That's why I now buy insurance.

I cannot speak to the Westerdam, but in 2003 on the Amsterdam, I took ill and was running a fever and the med facility there did urine and blood work in a matter minutes. Both tests showed I had an infection and the ship's doctor provided me with antibiotic. Our bill was about $350. Luckily, we had taken out travel insurance and I was reimbursed with no hassle. So, at least the Amsterdam had some ability to so some blood work, but I don't know if they can test for what your hubby needs--call HAL and find out! Even if they can, it won't be for free! :)

Most ships today have the equipment necessary to deal with most emergencies from cuts to heart attackes. However, they will disembark you or send for a Medivac if you have a critical or potentially critical condition such as a heart attack.

TA just called and HAL told her that the Westerdam can do the Protine/INR test for blood clotting.

Emmalbrent:

You might want to talk to your physician before you go and get him/her to give you a scale to change dosage based on protime/INR results. I'm guessing you'll also need a prescription. Make sure you have appropriate alternate dosages of coumadin with you as well. It's possible if his levels are well controlled before you cruise, you may be able to forego the bloodwork on the cruise and follow up as soon as you get home. Good luck.

DON'T cruise (or travel overseas) w/o travel insurance. The downside risks are just too great. You can typically get good coverage for about $125 a person for a 10 day cruise. Against a risk of $10k or more, that's pretty cheap.

Archived