Looking for a camera!!!!

Consider that cameras with large LCD screens and NO view finders will require

much more power, more power=less battery life. A bright LCD screen is still not bright enough in the sunlight to see fine detail.

Yes the large screen is nice but use the optical view finder to frame your image whenever you are able to, it's a trade.

Consider that cameras with large LCD screens and NO view finders will require

much more power, more power=less battery life. A bright LCD screen is still not bright enough in the sunlight to see fine detail.

Yes the large screen is nice but use the optical view finder to frame your image whenever you are able to, it's a trade.

New LCD's are pretty efficient. I have a very small P&S camera with a really nice 3" LCD display. I've never had the batteries run out on me with it. I don't even bother carrying the spare around any more. Admitedly I don't shoot hundreds of photos a day while traveling but I do shoot dozens. And while I try to remember to charge my battery every night on a cruise I don't always remember.

As far as optical viewfinders, very very few cameras have these. Most that have viewfinders these days have electronic viewfinders so you can see all your settings and the exact image and focus in the viewfinder. Intuitively I'd think the electronic viewfinders don't use up as much battery life as the larger LCD's but I don't know this is the case or if it is a meaningful difference.

Well let me say I am surprised, things have changed alot since I bought my last camera.

I was trying to find info on the photobank device, it looks like it has been discontinued. What else is out there to accomplish the same need, ie. I don't want to lug my laptop?

What else is out there to accomplish the same need, ie. I don't want to lug my laptop?

Probably a netbook or an android tablet that has a USB port to connect your 2.5" external drive.

Honestly you need to go into a good camera store and ask what they have that might suit what you want it to do. That way you can narrow down exactly what type of camera you might want. There are some amazing camera review websites including http://www.dpreview.com which you can then assess the cameras against each other from an experts point of view. Dont be fooled into getting one of the cameras with all the bells and whistles if you wont know how to use it, or its not user friendly. At the end of the day you have to be comfortable holding the camera, and the photos taken are as much about how good the person taking the photo is as to the camera in the end if you know how to use them properly.

you might have the best camera in the world, but in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use it, the photos can be horrible .... I know from experience, my university graduation photos taken by my family last year using my DSLR camera were all out of focus and was only five minutes before leaving when I went to take a photo I realised it wasn't focusing as it was on Manual focus, and not one person picked it up!!!!!! Was not a happy girl.

Honestly you need to go into a good camera store and ask what they have that might suit what you want it to do....

...you might have the best camera in the world, but in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use it, the photos can be horrible .... ...

Camera store: Easier said than done. We live in Chicago suburbs and there are no Camera stores within an hour's drive of our house. We'd have to go through city traffic to get to one near downtown. Most cities don't even have that option any more. The camera stores with knowledgeable salesmen who've spent years specializing in cameras have almost all been driven out of business by discount chains like Best Buy, Target and Wal Mart where all the cameras are tethered to a counter - and there are also the online retailers. The only camera stores left around here is a national chain with sky high prices a slim selection of mostly out of date cameras and salesmen who are only a little, but not much, better than the young guys at Best Buy.

If you're lucky enough to have a decent camera store a reasonable distance then go there and buy your camera from them.

On your second point - you are dead on - don't bother buying a high end advanced system camera unless you intend to learn photography instead of just snap shooting like I do. Although as I indicated above I am considering the lower end of the new Micro Four Thirds line of cameras (Panasonic and Olympus make them) as these have features more like a point and shoot and are designed as a bridge camera for those who are only familiar with point and shoot type cameras.

Check Bea's Allure of the Seas review. She told someone what camera she has... and her pics are amazing! I think her CC name is Kubanita or something like that.

She uses a Nikon D300, mentioned it in a recent Barbados post.

we recently got a DSLR camera, and we chose the Canon Rebel T3I. It is fantastic!! interchangeable lenses are great, and the fact that it take the picture super quick, we don't miss out on any moments =) I'm still trying to learn the camera, but hopefully will have it figured out before our cruise in July!

I use my Canom Eos 5D and save pictures in RAW and the Highest JPG resolution possible. This allows you to do more with the picture later. Later you can use a program like photo shop or elements to do more with the photo.

I use at minimum 8gb cards so I get around 350 shots per card. I have 3 cards with me and when I'm done for the day I download to my laptop. This lets me see the pictures on a larger size. I do not delete unless I didn't like the shot. If my cards are full I then will clear on card for more use.

Canon makes a good DSLR, but my choice in camera was based on I have an EOS 3 35mm SLR so I already had many lenses.

Digital is nice. My honeymoon cruise in 1993 I took my EOS 3, and Leica M3 and about 30 36 exposure rolls. Got some great shots but it was a lot to lug around. We spent a lot developing the film since my bride wanted to see all the pictures as soon as I took them. Digital lets lets you see if you like the picture right away. For film I learned long ago to take two shots of each picture in case something messed up one.

Archived