Discount parking in New Orleans?

• 2 weeks later...

This is sort of a hard area to park in. There are plenty of hotels around this area including two Wyndhams (one on Convention Center and one at the foot of Canal Street)and I would tell you to call and ask especially if your spending one night there before your cruise. There is also a Hilton close by as well. I don't know if they will allow you to park 24 hours a day but if they do, it is possible it may be more costly than the cruise parking or at least close the same amount. There is an open parking lot behind the Hilton that is really close to the cruise terminal but I don't know if they will let you vehicle stay there 24/7 and I don't know which company owns the lot (Central Parking, Park ONe, Parking Co. of America). You can always attempt to call them.

I can tell you from personal experience that as they are working on the N.O. terminal, the parking area is a complete mess. We took the Conquest out May 1st (just last week) and we were being dropped off and took quite some time to get to the area to be dropped off and then took our family member nearly 25 minutes to work out the area after dropping us off. The parking lot is no longer under the Crescent City Connection. The lots are now located off of Convention Center and your bused from the parking lot to the terminal (a few blocks away). Have fun on your cruise.

What DW & I did when we went out NOLA last fall was stay at the La Quinta close to the airport. They will let you leave your car in their lot for free. Then took a taxi both ways. With fare and tip ended up about half the pier parking. Be sure to ask them and give them your car description. They also will say they are not responsible for, etc. We have done it in other port cities so it must be a standard practice but I would call and ask first always.

If you are staying in the heart of the French Quarter and need to park down there, it appears that port parking is 10 bucks per day......cheapest I've seen anywhere in the Quarter. If you're just going in and finding a place to sleep for the night, out by the airport would be better if you have to save money. We got a free room through harrah's, so the 70 bucks at the port came out cheaper. :) Whatever you decide....don't sweat it.....after all, it's your vacation! :)

We're cruising from NOLA in a little over a week and a half. We're using: http://www.machupicchutours.com/Cruise%20ship%20transportation%20and%20parking.htm

I've heard excellent things about this place. They offered us a rate of $72 for a seven day cruise. That was paying for six days and getting the seventh day free. They offer a shuttle bus to and from the lot to the ship. Hope this helps.

Bob

Thanks for the link to that site...this would help us to avoid the cruise lines' lot...one question, though...isn't the New Orleans cruise lines' lot $70.00 for a week-long cruise? That is the cost in Galveston--just wondering if it is the same in N.O.??

Thanks!

--Susan

It's my understanding that the cruise lines lot in NOLA is $12 per day which would be $84 for a 7 day cruise. I think Macchu Pichu is now $84 a day also but you have the convenience of not getting caught up in all the traffic....trying to park while your family waits on you at the curb. I don't know it's up to the individual whether you think it's a good deal/idea or not. We have a group of 14 going and Macchu Pichu is putting us all on one shuttle and taking us to the terminal at the same time. So for us it seemed like a better deal than trying to park all together and meet at the curbside. Hope this helps more than confuses!

Bob

This thread is confusing. Some keep referring to the "cruise line's lot".....there's no such thing. The port authority lot, next to the cruise ship berths, is no longer. A huge parking garage complex is being built, and won't be completed until late fall or early spring (varying reports).

Before that lot was torn down, it was $12 per day (raised from $10 in 2003) - payable in advance, cash only.

Fulton St. Garage is about 2 blocks (as the crow flies) from the terminal - also $12 per day, payable in advance, cash or credit card. Not walker-friendly, if you have luggage. They do have comp shuttles to and from the terminal.

Manchu Pichu, as mentioned above, seems to be a good deal if you can't get into FSGarage.:)

Thank you for letting me know that there is no lot run by the port. I have bookmarked the site for Macchu Pichu so I can use them if I decide to cruise out of NO...however, my first choice is always Galveston!:)

Susan,

I just found a hotel {thru another thread} for 1 night before and 1 night after and they offer $5 a day parking while on cruise (it's $14.98 per night with stay).....The Maison St. Charles Hotel and Suites... and they offer free transportation to the port.....their number is (800) 831-1783 (Code: Bon Voyage)

Archived