Magens Bay

FERDI

1st Time Cruiser,,need Help Signed Up For Rcc Shore Excursion Magens Bay Beach Getaway 12:30 (3hr Excursion) Were Beach Lovers..anybody Taken This Excursion Is It A Good One..any Info Appreciated...

Hi Ferdi,

We have been to St. Thomas three times before and this July will make the 4th time. First time went to Magen's Bay thought it was beautiful. It was So So clear and the beach was very long and we had to problem with crowds at all. Second time we went to Sapphire Beach

and we didn't like it near as much as Magens. The third time we went to ST. John's and went to Trunk Bay-it was nice but still liked Magens "more better!!!! This July it is back to Magens for us. As you read these boards it seems like everyone has their favorite beach-which is good. Ours is Magens ,I guess because of how beautiful it is, how clear the water is, how calm it is, and it is a good size beach so it didn't seem crowded.

In July ,we are taking Sunny Liston's tour-2 hours shopping, 2 hour tour of the St. Thomas and 2 hours at Magens Bay all for $20.00. If you decide to do it on your own don't hesitate. When you get off the ship there are cabs everywhere wanting to take you anywhere you want. !!!! The cab ride to Magens is $6.00 a person and when you want to come back from Magens, cabs are there waiting for passengers. The admission to Magens is $3.00 per person. There is a food stand at the beach too. Be glad to answer any other questions you might have. Take care, Knarf (Frank backwards)

For what it is worth dept. Take care, Knarf (Frank backwards)

I don't know what all is included in the shore excursion, but if you just want to go to the beach, it might be better to just take a cab. while I and DD1 dove in St Thomas my wife and DD2 and DD3 hopped in a cab right off the cruise dock. $6pp each way plus $3 beach admission and they could stay as long as they liked. If your just looking to go to the beach this might be the better way to go.

Everyone has their favorite beach on St. Thomas. For us it was Sapphire Beach.

Magen's is also nice and you won't go wrong by taking that excursion. The scenery is spectacular. The day we were there it was on the crowded side. But the crowd seemed to be on the "right" end of the beach (as you face the water). When we walked toward the left, the crowd thinned and it was much nicer. The water is calm with very little wave action. It was not as clear as at some other beaches I've visited there, but it was still very nice.

Just finished uploading some Virgin Islands beach photos to my photo web site and am posting a link for you of ones I took at Magen's. On the day we were there, the sun was playing some hide and seek with the clouds, but you can still see how beautiful the area is:

http://lrichters.photosite.com/vibeaches/magens/

Enjoy!

Fabulous website of all the beaches!!!!!

I wish there was a clear cut decision to be made! I've been to Megan's bay - years ago. I'm responsible for making the decision regarding which beach me and my party of 10 goes.

I really think that Sapphire is the way to go but... then I see where someone said that they didn't like Sapphire WHY???? I need to know! I've only got one shot at this and if I make the wrong decision...do you know what 10 angry people can do to me!!!! (It makes me shiver just thinking about it)

So if anyone out there can help me...tell me which one is the best choice, and be completely frank, Frank!

Hi mamax4, I am always "Frank", well- sometimes my wife calls me some other things !!! Well now you got me in trouble with her, because I hollered in to her and asked her what we didn't like about Sapphire and lo and behold she was watching her favorite show "CSI" AND I bothered her !!!!!(just kidding). She was willing to share . So we exchanged thoughts and this is what we remembered about Sapphire. Very crowded, very little shade, I remember the water was quit "wavy." Could have been just a windy day, but Sapphire wasn't as sheltered as Magens. Magens sits back in a little "Bay" (surprise) and I think is more protected. Sapphire had more "things around then Magens. Sapphire had a bar( I think maybe it was part of a hotel(not sure) and a few other little shops around for a plus for them. Sure hope I am right. I don't want to be the reason that "those" 10 people hurt you. Good luck with your decision. Knarf (Frank)

What you may want to do is find out what activities your friends are interested in and base a decision on that. For example, if the majority of the folks want to snorkel, then you may want to consider something other than Magen's. I was told that there's no reef there, so you really won't see all that much fish. I donned my snorkel mask there and didn't see a darned thing. :(

To get an idea of what beaches are good for snorkeling and other activities, check out http://www.***** .

We found just the opposite to be true at Sapphire. We had no problems finding shade, but (and that's a big BUT) there were no cruise ships in town that day. Perhaps Frank was at Sapphire on a day when there were multiple ships in town. Remember, one large Royal Caribbean ship will have 3000+ passengers traipsing around the island. Add to that a few more ships and the crowd situation can get quite interesting. The water was like glass the day we were there but I have seen photos of Sapphire when it was quite wavy. Godfrey of Godfrey Tours says he takes people to Secret Harbor when the waters at Magens, Sapphire, or Coki are rough.

If you're cruising in the summer months, you shouldn't have a problem at all with crowds because that's the "slow" season down there.

I know that doesn't help. But what might help is putting together a list of beaches based on available activities and amenities and then take a vote. ;)

Linda and Frank (and Frank's wife!)

Thanks so much all your feedback, I really mean it. I think your right, I need to get them the information I've received and let them join in on the decision.

Linda I have to tell you again, your website of the beaches is fantastic!! And Frank, tell your wife I truely appreicate her taking the time. I know how it feels...my DH always wants my attention during Without a Trace!

Thanks again, Kelly

Kelly,

I'm glad you found the photos helpful. :)

Regardless of where you wind up going, you will all have a nice time. After all, even a bad beach day on St. Thomas has to be better than a good day at work. ;)

Hi,

Went to Magens Bay last November and I was not that impressed with it.

It was very, very crowded, although there were 7 cruise ships in that day so thats probably why.

I have been to a much nicer beach, sapphire IMHO.

I think Magens was like a party beach so if that is what you want to to then this is the beach for you.

Regards,

Lisa

The vote is in! After reviewing the beaches on the website the group thinks that Sapphire Beach is the play to be. Who knows. If we don't like it we'll have to go AGAIN so that we can try an alternative one! Ha Ha!!!!

Hi,

Went to Magens Bay last November and I was not that impressed with it.

It was very, very crowded, although there were 7 cruise ships in that day so thats probably why.

I have been to a much nicer beach, sapphire IMHO.

I think Magens was like a party beach so if that is what you want to to then this is the beach for you.

Regards,

Lisa

When you say Magens Bay is like a "party beach" do you mean more adult-oriented? Not as quiet and relaxing?

Also, are there plenty of bars where I can get a frozen concoction on Magens Bay?

BTW, for you experts, there will be 2 very large ships in port the day I plan to go to Magens Bay...is this bad news?

Magen's is not a wide beach but it is a long one. When you come in through the gate, there is a concession stand near there. Between the concession stand and where the water toy rentals are is where it was the most crowded. The water toy rentals will be to the right of the concession area. We almost regretted our decision to come to Magen's because that scene reminded us too much of the crowds at the Jersey Shore on a summer holiday weekend.

The day we were there, there also were two large ships in town. We just started walking toward the left and noticed that the beach got much more tranquil and it was quite pleasant. You could lay down, relax and not get sand kicked all over you. :D The drawback would be the longer walk to get that cold beverage, but they did have a young lady bringing drinks out to folks. ;) And yes, some of them were of the frozen variety.

When you say Magens Bay is like a "party beach" do you mean more adult-oriented? Not as quiet and relaxing?

Also, are there plenty of bars where I can get a frozen concoction on Magens Bay?

BTW, for you experts, there will be 2 very large ships in port the day I plan to go to Magens Bay...is this bad news?

Hi,

When we went, remember 7 ships in port, it was very loud, with lots of drinking. there were girls walking up and down the beach taking your drinks orders so you didn't have to leave your spot. There was a bar and place to get pizza, ribs etc to eat. A fun day if that is what you are looking for, but not what I would call relaxing.

I don't think 2 ships in port would be that bad.

Enjoy whatever you choose to do,

Lisa:)

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Megan's Bay looked very pretty standing on one of the hills looking over it, but once we got to the beach I was disappointed in the sand. First it was covered in dead leaves, and second the beach area was small (from line of trees to water). We preferred Orient Beach in St. Maarten.

To me a nice beach has to have "clean" sand, free of seaweed and leaves.

Why do you have to pay admission to Megaens Beach? Do you have to pay admission to Sapphire? We are planning to take Godfrey's tour in December. Originally we wanted to go to Coki, because of the water park, but we won't be there long enough to use the park. Thanks for all the info.

Stuffic - Magens Bay can be quiet and relaxing and can be a party beach - depends on the crowd, number of people, day of the week. On Sundays a lot of local families have parties there so it can be loud on that day. On weekdays its primarily cruise passengers and not typically party/loud. As to whether its adult oreiented - I would say not necessarily... its actually a great family beach as the water deepens gradually so is great for kids. There is only one bar at Magens Bay; usually the crowd/adults gather around there. 2 ships in port is a slow day for us.... during the winter we have 6,7,8,9 ships.

lbfluffy - Magens Bay was donated to the people of the Virgin Islands to be used as a public park. To help cover the costs of maintaining the parking, cleaning the beach everyday, keeping up the roads, having lifeguards, bathrooms etc.; a fee is charged. No other beach on St. Thomas charges admission. On St. John the only beach with admission fee is Trunk Bay (part of the National Park).

Michelle - Magens Bay has chairs, floats for rent. No umbrellas that I have ever noticed.

--Islander

http://www.*****

We went to Meagan's Bay when we were there last, and were not impressed. Too crowded, too commercialized. On our next cruise we are going to St Johns, where most of the other cruise passengers said they had a fabulous time. Did not hear as many people raving about any of the beaches on St Thomas.

Archived