Caribbean Princess Sanctuary

nostalgiaguru

• 1 year later...

My father needs a walker to travel from place to place onboard. He can walk for a short distance or go up a few stairs too if neccessited. On the princess website, they tell us that the sanctuary is not accessible for wheelchair. Can someone explain me what it means?

When my mother and I will be on excursion, we think of reserve the sanctuary for my dad. Does it worth it? Will someone bring him some food? Is there a place to go to the bathroom not far from his lounger?

Again, sorry for my limited english....

Thank you for the help. It will be may 2nd cruise on the caribbean princess but never been to the sanctuary (only the pool).

Just off the Caribbean Princess, and I tried the Sanctuary for the first time. I found it to be quiet, comfortable, and the staff quite attentive. Especially liked the tea service each afternoon. On our trip, the weather was crappy most of the time, but the staff was quick to bring blankets if you'd like, and would keep the loungers covered to keep them dry.

On this ship, the Sanctuary is not accessible via wheelchair. You have to navigate at least one flight of stairs, either on the open deck or via the spa through the Lotus Pool. The nearest restrooms are down the same flight of stairs back in the spa. I believe there is a small surcharge for food delivery off their menu, but not 100% sure what was offered as I didn't take advantage of that benefit. I had an intense workout that turned my legs to jelly, and at times I found it tough to force myself up that single flight of stairs! There aren't any other options to get up to that part of the deck.

Is the Sanctuary worth the surcharge? What were the highlights for those of you who have experienced it?

We were on Crown a few weeks ago, which is similar to Caribbean Princess. Single and two person loungers with soft mattresses. You can sign up for morning or afternoon or all day each morning, or can book the same chair for the whole cruise if you head up there as soon as you get onboard. Was not open on sailing day - just did reservations then. Had about 5 staff getting you towels, water, fruit when needed. They will deliver light sandwiches for a small fee. Generally you can't move the loungers, so pick sunny, shady or less wind when you sign up. On our cruise it was windy (60+ knots across deck) and rainy for over half the cruise and we were the only ones in the area most of the time. They also have MP3 players with noise-cancelling headsets you can borrow.

Advantage is quiet (maybe, if not too windy) and you always have a reserved soft chair. Location is Deck 17 forward of the pool in the spa area. This pool is adults only and has stair entry rather than ladders. In our case the pool was slopping into the spa, so they eventually drained it and then varnished the rails, so it was closed most of the cruise.

As others have said, the Sanctuary isn't accessible by elevator, although we did see someone with a scooter in the public area aft of the Sanctuary. No idea how they got it up there.

When you buy the whole week they do warn you that they don't refund if the weather is bad. For the first couple of years this area was the basketball court and pingpong area on Caribbean Princess, and wasn't used much due to the wind. They have closed it in some since then, but it can be very windy. Nicer when in port if you are a person that stays onboard.