Detailed Review of Triumph w/ Lots of Pics, 4/28 Sailing!

GRTKJ

Just returning to reality from a wonderful time aboard the Carnival Triumph cruise ship. Our ship left Galveston on Saturday, April 28th and returned on May 3rd. This is an older ship, but none the less fun! There were a couple areas that showed the age of the ship but overall it was well hidden. Lots of areas had new flooring, etc so unless you already knew, you would probably have no idea the Triumph has been around for several years.

So, this was my 4th cruise. I normally travel with my husband but this time mom and I took a trip just the two of us. I just turned 30, and she will be turning 60 in June. So we called this our birthday cruise!:)

We live in Arkansas, so we drove to Galveston on Friday, April 27th. The time before I have always stayed at the Hilton Galveston Island resort (right off of SeaWall Blvd) and they keep your car the entire time you are on the cruise. So I went with what we had done before. Our last cruise was in September, and the rate was pretty good, seems like it was around only $120, but I assume since its peak beach season, thats why our rate was so much higher this time. It was $189 this time, but that is ok. I justify it with atleast we get free parking in a secure area for while we are gone.

Here is our hotel from the outside:

DSC02182.jpg

Hotel from inside our room:

DSC02184.jpg

DSC02185.jpg

Since it took us 8 hours to drive to Galveston, we decided to eat close by and went to the Rainforest Cafe that night for a drink and dinner. Here we are enjoying dinner...Look at the couple in the background!! LOL!! :p

DSC02192.jpg

We had fun that evening at the Rainforest, had some good laughs too. We walked out the cafe and had to pose for a picture, here we are:

DSC02196.jpg

Here is a view of the hotel as we walked back to it:

DSC02197.jpg

Saturday, April 28th:

So today was the day we had been waiting for!! We had a fun evening in Galveston the night before. Today we were to meet the bus to take us to the port at 11:30am. We knew there would be tons of food on the ship, so we skipped breakfast. It was a very windy day today. Here is our bags, all ready to go! We carried one roller suitcase each and a backpack:

DSC02187.jpg

We walked down to the beach for a minute, and you can tell the Galveston beach is NOTHING tropical. It was pretty brown water and it just made us look even more forward to getting on the ship. Here you can see just that:

DSC02199.jpg

It was getting close to 11:00am, so we head back to the hotel and got our bags and sat and waited for the bus. Now last year, we met in the same area and there was probably 20 people also waiting. This year there was only mom and I, and 6 others. We were kindof suprised there were not more waiting. Here we are waiting patiently:

DSC02200.jpg

The bus was on time! So basically mom rode in the bus and I drove (along with others that had vehicles there) to follow to the secured parking area. In no time we were at the port! So, we got our bags, tipped the porter and we were off to get in line with the other millions of people! LOL :p

Here was our first sight of the Triumph!!!:

DSC02201.jpg

We arrived to the port at probably noon, and by around 2:00 we were on the ship! It was a pretty long wait, but I think I was just spoiled from our last trip that was less than 1 hour wait to get on the ship. Normally we try to get to the post as early as possible. If I recall, last year, we were able to take an earlier bus, but the hotel said its been the same times, so maybe I just thought we got there earlier. Anyway but at 2:00 we were on the ship!

Since we didn't have breakfast, we were pretty hungry, so we went directly to the Lido to get some food. Here is mom :):

DSC02203.jpg

and here is both of us:

bonvoyage.jpg

After enjoying lunch, we thought we would go see if our room was ready! I was REALLY excited to see our room. The reason is, it took me 3 weeks to decide for sure if this was the room I wanted or not....it was a great decision!!!

So, we booked room#7419. It is an extended balcony room but its in the corner of the ship on the 7th floor. I love the 7th floor because below you is all rooms only and above you is rooms only, so to me this is the perfect floor. The reason I wasn't so sure about the room, is the layout is totally different from a normal balcony room. So I said lets go for it! We were so glad we did! So, when we got to our room, it was ready, here are some pics:

DSC02204.jpg

DSC02205.jpg

DSC02206.jpg

DSC02207.jpg

This was taken later on in the cruise, but it shows how large the balcony was!!

DSC02379.jpg

Here I am, anxious and ready to leave Galveston!:

DSC02213.jpg

A couple more room pics:

DSC02214.jpg

I couldn't get the picture to turn, so apologize you have to break your neck to view it! :) Here is the bathroom:

DSC02215.jpg

After enjoying lunch, we thought we would go see if our room was ready! I was REALLY excited to see our room. The reason is, it took me 3 weeks to decide for sure if this was the room I wanted or not....it was a great decision!!!

So, we booked room#7419. It is an extended balcony room but its in the corner of the ship on the 7th floor. I love the 7th floor because below you is all rooms only and above you is rooms only, so to me this is the perfect floor. The reason I wasn't so sure about the room, is the layout is totally different from a normal balcony room. So I said lets go for it! We were so glad we did! So, when we got to our room, it was ready, here are some pics:

DSC02204.jpg

DSC02205.jpg

DSC02206.jpg

DSC02207.jpg

This was taken later on in the cruise, but it shows how large the balcony was!!

DSC02379.jpg

we were in 7419 in February of this year, it was an awesome balcony, we leave this coming Saturday for our free cruise we won while on that cruise, we will be in an ocean view this time but will still have a great time, I am enjoying your review, keep it coming

Nice Review so far, I loved your last review, i'm sure this one will just as good, by the way you and your Mom look a lot alike.:)

Thanks! Yes, I LOVED writing the last review (Bermuda cruise) for those wondering! :) Lots of people say we look alike, someone even went as far to ask if we were sisters on the cruise! LOL, of course mom liked that! :p

We have never sailed out of Texas so i am looking forward to the review :)

Galveston is a good, organized port. We have sailed from here twice before and usually we are on the ship in an hour or less. I was quite suprised this time it was 2 hours, but they made up for it on debarkation, less than 30 minutes if you can believe it. It was super fast! More on this later......:)

Can't wait to read this review! Looks great so far!

BTW: you guys look SO much alike!!!!!

Thank you so much! I always enjoy re-living my cruise through writing, so hope you enjoy the rest! :)

Yes, we hear that alot about looking alike! Someone on the ship actually asked if we were sisters! LOL Of course, mom loved that!! :cool:

The Carnival Triumph was the first cruise our first cruise. I am looking forward to this as I haven't sailed from Galveston nor have I seen the Triumph since 2004. ***DW was wondering why I held my laptop up sideways.***

That is so cool that it was your first cruise! Galveston (compared to Ft. Lauderdale and Baltimore) seem to have it together better. I may be wrong but it seems that way to us. ***LOL, yes sorry about the sideways pic, you made me laugh, thanks!!!***

Hope you enjoy the rest of the review, a couple ship pics coming up next!

Archived