problem with going solo

mygrace777

I ate solo in Windjammer and when I wanted to get some desert, I simply left an item, like a book with reading glasses to show I had not left. I think a newspaper is too generic to leave (obviously not in a ship) as so many cafes provide them for free.

I would never expect to sit on my own, at a table for 4 when on my own. If I was forced to do so, then I would expect to have to share it. But isn't that exactly what happened to the OP? I really don't see the problem.

I also wouldn't sit in a busy buffet just to read a book. That is not fair to others who are using the area as it is intended.

I'll be bringing my Tarot cards with me on my solo cruise in November, and leave a card spread while I'm back for seconds..

Maybe it'll scare the idjits way and attract some interesting folks.

Or maybe leave the Death card showing????

dk

I ate solo in Windjammer and when I wanted to get some dessert, I simply left an item, like a book with reading glasses to show I had not left. I think a newspaper is too generic to leave (obviously not in a ship) as so many cafes provide them for free.

I would never expect to sit on my own, at a table for 4 when on my own. If I was forced to do so, then I would expect to have to share it. But isn't that exactly what happened to the OP? I really don't see the problem.

I also wouldn't sit in a busy buffet just to read a book. That is not fair to others who are using the area as it is intended.

Personally, I dont see this as a really big deal. I would have just sat down and finished breakfast, and if the man needed to get out, I would have stood up to let him out

Thanks for these contributions. These are the sort of easygoing attitudes which make vacations enjoyable for everyone.

Well, almost everyone icon_smile_tongue.gif

This thread is fascinating to read and I'm enjoying all of the suggestions. I have only sailed on very small river cruises, about 140 guests or less, and the vibe there was definitely different. But I would typically leave a book and a pen, or a small travel journal and a pen, placed in the middle of my spot while at the buffet. (Something about the pen makes it seem more intentional that you plan to return, than say leaving just a magazine or a newspaper behind.)

If it was a larger ship and I had more trouble keeping an eye on my table, I would probably combine some of the tactics people have mentioned here, like leave a book at the table and also tilt the chair. Or tilt the chair and also tell a waitperson nearby or a nearby table mate that I was planning to return and would they mind keeping an eye on my spot.

I like the idea of the table card that says you plan to return, but can understand that the language barrier may not make it fully understood by other guests or waitstaff.

Someone else mentioned the crowded bar, and I encounter this more often than cruise buffets, but I tend to have a quick chat with the bartender and let them know that I'm just excusing myself to the restroom and would they mind holding my spot. I don't like to leave a drink with a napkin or coaster on it, because I get nervous that someone is going to put something in my drink. So sometimes I finish what I'm having, let the bartender know I'll be right back and to get another drink ready for me in the meantime. Once in an airport bar, I actually had to leave the bar area to use the restroom. So the bartender was nice enough to put my beer behind the bar and save my seat until I could come back. :) There are good people out there!

It's great that so many people here seem to just roll with it and what happens, happens. There will be the handful of people you meet who are just plain rude and insensitive, but on the whole I think people are nice and look out for one another. Looking forward to hearing more tips from the group since I'm heading out on a larger cruise ship than I'm used to (1000 passengers) in three months.

--Penny

I've always leaned the chair. If dining alone, I try to set close to the buffet, although I know some folks would rather be by a window. ONe time with a leaned chair, book, and my sign and sail card by my glass I came back to find two women moving my things. When they saw me they said we thought you left. I know I shouldn't have left the sign and sail card. Sometimes not matter what you do if someone wants a table they'll get it.

I'll be bringing my Tarot cards with me on my solo cruise in November, and leave a card spread while I'm back for seconds..

Maybe it'll scare the idjits way and attract some interesting folks.

Or maybe leave the Death card showing????

dk

If you did this on a cruise I was on, you'd come back to find me patiently waiting for a reading! So I suppose I'd be saving your seat for you at the same time. Win/win.

If you did this on a cruise I was on, you'd come back to find me patiently waiting for a reading! So I suppose I'd be saving your seat for you at the same time. Win/win.

I have in the past and look forward to meeting you!

Cheers!

dk

I thought the MDR was only open for breakfast and lunch on sea days? Am I incorrect? Thanks :)

The MDR is open for Breakfast every day...Lunch is generally served there only on Sea Days though...

First I must admit that I did not read all the posts but went to the end. A way of indicating you are returning to your seat after leaving for some reason is to tip the chair you are using up against the table.

It was not rude of you to sit at your table for 2 and read, there were other tables available. It was rude of the couple to expect you to move, could they not open their eyes & see it was a table for 2 not 3? :confused:

I travel with an eighty pound Service Black Lab. When I leave the table, he saves it for me. Kind of hard to miss him and even harder to move him!

Can you imagine the instances I run into when traveling? You wouldn't believe some of the comments; mostly positive but I've had a few that would injure the most secure of personalities. I've learned to ignore them and just move on!

I try to sit alone but sometimes it's just not possible and unless you're a dog lover I've had some pretty insulting words thrown my way. I keep my boy very, very well groomed and his manners are impeccable!

We'll be cruising solo on October 6th and look forward to meeting some wonderful folks onboard.

Archived