Booking Question

Baileygirls

We are planning next years cruise holiday and have narrowed it down to three. As it's a family holiday, the kids get a large say in the decision. They have chosen the Itinerary and we have found the ships to match.

2 of the possible sailings are with Celebrity on Reflection/Silhouette. The 3rd is with NCL (No comparisson to X but has been shortlisted simply due to its fabulous itinerary). All 3 are in a similar price range.

My questions are really, a) I've read people posting about price drops, when does this start to happen? (It's a big factor when booking for a family of 5!)

b) Is there a best time to book?

c) We are sailing on Silhouette in October (Kid-free), Are there benefits to booking another X cruise whilst on board? Had considered the future cruise vouchers but I can't see how it benefits us?!

Thanks for your help x

We are planning next years cruise holiday and have narrowed it down to three. As it's a family holiday, the kids get a large say in the decision. They have chosen the Itinerary and we have found the ships to match.

2 of the possible sailings are with Celebrity on Reflection/Silhouette. The 3rd is with NCL (No comparisson to X but has been shortlisted simply due to its fabulous itinerary). All 3 are in a similar price range.

My questions are really, a) I've read people posting about price drops, when does this start to happen? (It's a big factor when booking for a family of 5!)

b) Is there a best time to book?

c) We are sailing on Silhouette in October (Kid-free), Are there benefits to booking another X cruise whilst on board? Had considered the future cruise vouchers but I can't see how it benefits us?!

Thanks for your help x

a) There is no way to know if there will be any price drops, so I wouldn't count on them. Another thing with the price drops is they would need to come before final payment, after final payment your only option may be to upgrade if rooms are available. Also some times the price drops are specials for new bookings only, so again you would be out of luck. Lastly, just based on what I have read on the boards it seems price drops are more common for the European sailings than they are for those in the Caribbean. There were no price drops for our last cruise and there have been none so far for our cruise next year, in fact that price has only continue to go up on that one.

b) There is going to be no perfect time to book. So I would just say you should book when you are comfortable with the price. The price may go up or it may go down, there is no way to know as its all about supply and demand.

c) We booked next last cruise while on board. You only have to put down a $100 deposit per person. You will also receive an OBC based on the length of the cruise and the category of room you book. I believe the max is $300. There is also a two category upgrade you can take advantage of however this does now include AQ or suites. So you could book a C1 for the price of a C3. I believe with the future cruise voucher you only get a set OBC and the lower deposit, however I'm not sure as we have never done that so I may be wrong.

Thanks Prim8keeper.

I wondered if there might be pattern to price changes? Or if they are more expensive so far in advance? Won't be making a decision until after our October cruise anyway.

It is a European sailing, and we'd be booking from the UK if we don't book on board so I don't know if that makes a difference. Though it sounds like that booking on board may be beneficial, especially as we probably need to book insides for this trip :eek:

Thanks Prim8keeper.

I wondered if there might be pattern to price changes? Or if they are more expensive so far in advance? Won't be making a decision until after our October cruise anyway.

It is a European sailing, and we'd be booking from the UK if we don't book on board so I don't know if that makes a difference. Though it sounds like that booking on board may be beneficial, especially as we probably need to book insides for this trip :eek:

We booked our Feb 2013 cruise on board our cruise last December and the price was the lowest then for AQ that it has ever been. It was the same way for our December cruise as well. This is just what I've noticed but it seems as though prices are the lowest initially and then go lower if it doesn't sell well or after final payment to fill up the ship. There are certain websites that track the prices you can watch. We can't post them here but if you email me (in my signature) I can give them to you. We like to book further out so we can get the cabin we want and then I just hope prices in the end don't drop too much, some people though now only book their cruises after final payment because of this and because of the change to how X deals with price drops now. I figure either way I'm taking a gamble so I mine as well get the location I want.

We booked our Feb 2013 cruise on board our cruise last December and the price was the lowest then for AQ that it has ever been. It was the same way for our December cruise as well. This is just what I've noticed but it seems as though prices are the lowest initially and then go lower if it doesn't sell well or after final payment to fill up the ship. There are certain websites that track the prices you can watch. We can't post them here but if you email me (in my signature) I can give them to you. We like to book further out so we can get the cabin we want and then I just hope prices in the end don't drop too much, some people though now only book their cruises after final payment because of this and because of the change to how X deals with price drops now. I figure either way I'm taking a gamble so I mine as well get the location I want.

I think that's what I needed to hear. I just have to hope they don't rise before we can book, lol! We'd been watching our upcoming cruise for a few weeks, then went away. When we came back the prices had jumped right up. It worked out in our favour in the end as I kept looking (ever the optimist) and somehow managed to get a CC for less than a balcony!

We need to book in advance simply in order to pay for it, but I also like to choose our cabin.

That website would be very useful, and thank you for the replies. I will email you.

If the price goes down or if they offer "free upgrades" don't expect to get any these.

I booked for FOUR people in February for a European Wine Tour in Nov 2013 and now they are offering free upgrades, lower prices...but only on new bookings - so I lost out on this one.

The TA is of no help either.

So my advice is book when your happy with the price and don't read any offer emails :-)

ANDREW

Archived