Cruising in November or December

jchristie

Hey all,

I am looking at possibly taking a cruise in November or December from either Galveston or New Orleans ports. What is the weather like during those months in leaving either of those ports and going to Progresso & Cozumel? Any advice would be great!

We cruised last year in November and again in Janurary and loved it. We went to Cozumel and Progresso and the weather was perfect! Not too hot like the Texas Summers, but still warm enough to swim, sun bathe and everything else. We are booked again for December this year because this is now our favorite time to cruise. You cant beat the rates, most kids are in school, and the weather is perfect!

We left from Galveston on Xmas Day in 2009 on the Ecstacy. Galveston was windy and fairly cold, but Progresso and Cozumel were perfectly warm, but not too hot.

Don't make the mistake I did though. I got so used to shorts thats what I wore when we got off the ship and I froze.

We cruised out of Galveston last December. It was pretty cold and rainy but once we got out to sea it warmed up. We did seem to have pretty rough seas too. The pools on the ship were too cold for me the entire cruise but it didn't seem to bother the kids. Weather was perfect in Grand Cayman, Jamaica and Cozumel!

thanks all of you! We have sailed in Feb and May and out of those two I prefer Feb. So I was thinking that Nov or Dec would not be that much different. Hubby and I just need a getaway and that is the best time for us.

I will keep you all posted! please continue to let me know what you all think!

As you can see in my signature, we sail in December every year. The best prices will be the first week of December because it is after the Thanksgiving holiday week and before the Christmas holiday breaks....also, means less kids if that matters to you (it does us).

As far as between Galveston or NOLA, I have never sailed from Galveston, but I do recall seeing MANY threads about cruises being delayed because of fog during the winter months. I have cruised from NOLA in December and the weather was fine. It wasn't so cold you had to wear a jacket, but it was cool. Being a little cooler for embarkation day is fine for me b/c being on the ship's decks enjoying the sail away party with all the drinking DOD's and dancing can get rather warm.

My vote would be to take a December cruise from NOLA.

Hey all,

I am looking at possibly taking a cruise in November or December from either Galveston or New Orleans ports. What is the weather like during those months in leaving either of those ports and going to Progresso & Cozumel? Any advice would be great!

New Orleans weather in November or December is just like the weather in Alexandria. After all you are only about three hours away from New Orleans so it shouldn't be that much different. I only said it this way because I remember the 19 years my sister lived in Alexandria when she worked England AFB and our brother lived in the New Orleans/Slidell area at the same time.

When leaving from Galveston in November we found that the weather can be cold, raining and miserable at times. But when we wake up the next morning at sea we have beautiful warm sunny weather.

New Orleans weather in November or December is just like the weather in Alexandria. After all you are only about three hours away from New Orleans so it shouldn't be that much different. I only said it this way because I remember the 19 years my sister lived in Alexandria when she worked England AFB and our brother lived in the New Orleans/Slidell area at the same time.

When leaving from Galveston in November we found that the weather can be cold, raining and miserable at times. But when we wake up the next morning at sea we have beautiful warm sunny weather.

oh yeah - I figured leaving out would be about the same in New Orleans... I guess I was more wondering about the Gulf once you get out of New Orleans. LOL!

We've done the November sailaway from Galveston and it was lovely- crisp and in the 60's on embarkation- and soon got warmer as we got into the gulf. Sunny and summery all the way through Mexico and just comfortable enough to see ruins without sweltering completely. Shorts for the entire trip- then, back to crisp weather on debarkation.

Fog is more of an issue when the weather is changing from cold to warm in the early Spring. Benefits of a November departure is that your chances of encountering a hurricane in the gulf are greatly diminished as well. Although ships skirt around them, they wreak havoc with itineraries during the summer months.

Hey all,

I was in Coz in December a few years back and it was, in a word, WONDERFUL. I think it was showering when we first pulled into port, but soon the clouds parted and the sun shown down -- strongly -- upon us the rest of our visit.

Archived