Ushuia: Martial Glacier, chairlift tour

TiogaCruiser

has anyone done a trip (shorex) to the chairlift at Martial Glacier?

If so, what Was it like? If one were to "build" a tour, how long should one plan for the trip? What was the cost for the shorex? Chairlift? Entrance to the National Park?

Thanks,

~TC

I spent a couple of days in Ushuaia in conjunction with a cruise, by missing part of the cruise (long story). I didn't go to the glacier, but heard that it wasn't really very big, and I'd already been to the much, much bigger Perito Moreno glacier in Argentina. Folks I talked with took a taxi to the chairlift and then took that or hiked to the glacier. 1/2 trip total, I think. My best tour was a full-day tour to the main penguin island, involving a long bus ride to a ranch and then a Zodiac inflatable boat to the island, where we walked around for a while. Most people, with less time, took boat tours from the port (you can book those upon arrival0 that take you to just offshore the island, from where you view the penguins.

We did a custom tour in Ushuaia with edgarcalaio@gmail.com in January 2012 that included a tour of the Tierra del Fuego National Park (including several small hikes, one around a lake and one to a viewpoint and the end of the Panamerican highway), the chair lift to Martial Glacier and a lamb barbeque. This tour did take almost the entire time we had in Ushuaia but we like to spend most of our time ashore touring rather than buying souvenirs. We spent about 1 to 1 1/2 hours at the glacier. There were some in our group that were fit enough to hike to/from the glacier in that time. It was a very nice tour and the weather in Ushuaia was wonderful. Let me know if you would like additional information about our tour.

Huskercruiser: thank you!

How many hours was the trip? And how long would you recommend as a MINIMUM at the chairlift/ glacier to make it worthwhile?

What about mobility? ( we have a few that may have a problem with longer walks or climbing ( meaning going up or down hills for more than a short distance d/t knee issues). Do you remember how much the chairlift was? And park entrance? (The Tierra del fuego website indicates there is a significantly higher fee for foreigners- not sure if it is per person or one fee for a vehicle?

Finally, what segments were most interesting to you that you would recommend them? We have a rather short port stop (2:00p to 8:00p) so figuring 4 to 4.5 hours to leave enough time to disembark and return prior to all aboard time, and a few minutes for Murphy.

Thanks,

~TC

We did the park and the chairlift in about 4 hours in 2008. Here is a link to my blog entry for the day with photos. Sadly, I did not record any prices, but as I recollect we paid about $150 for the 3 of us to the taxi driver. I am thinking it was about 20 in local money for the park entrance. I recall it being about $16USD for the roundtrip ticket on the chairlift.

http://circle-south-america-2008-aboard.blogspot.com/2008/01/day-26-january-29-2008-ushuaia.html

You are right that the email should be edgardocalaio@gmail.com

The entrance fee for the park was $US 20/person. I was quoted $US 20 for the chairlift but it was less. I think it was $US 12.

You will have enought time to go to the park and the chair lift if you are in port from 2 to 7. The chairlift only takes 1 hour or less unless you want to walk to the glacier (which most of our party did not do). Views are nice from the top of both the glacier and the bay.

If you have a custom tour to the Tierra del Fuego National Park, you can probably walk as much or as little as you like.

We did custom tours at each of our South American ports (Montevideo, Punta del Este, Puerto Madryn, Puerto Montt and Punta Arenas). If you want information on any/all of those, I'd be happy to share.

We used Forastero Tours (info@forasterotour.com.ar) in Puerto Madryn to go to Punto Tombo. Our tour guide was Diana. She was very good even sharing a thermos of mate with us. (This is a very Argentinian custom that many tourists do not get to experience.) The cost was about half what the cruise line was charging. Also we arrived at the site before all the tour buses. We were just about done when they started arriving and it was a much nicer experience seeing Punto Tombo without the crowds. I would recommend going to Punto Tombo over the Valdes Peninsula especially if you're going in January or later. (The whales are gone from the peninsula after December.) Forastero can do the peninsula also. We also visited the penguin rookery in Punta Arenas (Otway Sound). I can definitely say that Punto Tombo had MANY more penguins. The scenery at Otway Sound was a little nicer. If I were doing only one, I'd recommend Punto Tombo.

In Montevideo, we used Liz Cowley (liz@realenglishtours.com). We used her for a walking tour of Montevideo in the morning and then a bus tour in the afternoon to see the sights further out. She showed us sights in Montevideo we would never have found ourselves. She is very thorough and informative.

Hi TC,

I was in Ushuaia a few years back for work and then stayed a few days afterwards. I found the Glacier to be very worthwhile. I am originally from Vancouver, reminded me a lot of a day trip on Sunday. The Glacier itself is not soo spectactular, it's the location. The taxi ride was maybe 20 minutes (possibly less) The view reminded me of skiing and looking down on Vancouver. Ushuaia is a tiny spec of a town exactly below you and the ship looks like someone's fishing boat. If you do not hike to the tip of the ice then you miss out. There was also a nice ski lodge (of sorts - more of a cabin) where we stopped for hot chocolate. The next day I was there I did a complete train ride into the park that combined with a park tour and lunch. I got this thru http://www.turismonuevomundo.com guides were great, perfect english and last year used them when on a cruise for tours in all ports of South America.

Oh, the weather off the mountains in Ushuaia can give you 4 seasons each and every day. even if the day starts sunny, dress for wind and rain.

We used Forastero Tours (info@forasterotour.com.ar) in Puerto Madryn to go to Punto Tombo.

In Montevideo, we used Liz Cowley (liz@realenglishtours.com). We used her for a walking tour of Montevideo in the morning and then a bus tour in the afternoon to see the sights further out. She showed us sights in Montevideo we would never have found ourselves. She is very thorough and informative.

Huskercruiser - thank you so much for your recommendations. We are following your experience with Forastero in Puerto Madryn to go to Punto Tombo. And, are rethinking our choice for Montevideo - thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
With five other cc's, we arranged for a tour of Tierra Del Fuego National Park with Edgardo Calaio [edgardocalaio@gmail.com]Edgardo is a young, highly professional tour guide with a university degree in tourism and particular interests in nature and photography. His tour was an excellent value and a comfortable ride as we rode (literally) to the End of the World. Highlights were: visiting at a small free museum (at a cafe) where we learned about the original inhabitants; getting our passports stamped at the curious Post Office at the End of the World (which hangs over a bay on stilt posts); arriving at the sign marking the end of the Pan American Highway which runs from Northern Alaska to Tierra del Fuego. We arrived at a lucky moment--when an adventurous Danish couple also arrived on motorcycle after riding the 30,000 mile highway for 7 months. After visiting the Park, Edgardo drove us through the town; we loaded up on chocolate, crafts, and, of course, wine.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did he charge? Thank you for your helpful info...

Archived