Help with Room Selection

smiledocMA

Hello, and thank you in advance for taking the time to read this post and respond.

We are contemplating taking the AmaLyra in August 2013 down the Danube. We are pretty sure that we do not want to be on the bottom deck. Can someone discuss the merits and/or disadvantages to being on the middle or upper decks and back, middle or front of the boat? Is one area rockier than another? Noise issues? Etc?

I would imagine that river cruise boats are similar, so any responses are welcome and it would not have to be specific to AmaLyra.

Thank you.

We were on the middle deck, center of ship on Amalegro, a sister ship, with a French balcony. We experienced no noise from engines or other mechanical things. No matter where you are, you might hear the sides knocking against the locks, and there are plenty of those, however, it does not wake you up. The best views are from the lounge and the outside lounge at the front and the upper Sun Deck (when it is open). We were rarely in our cabin except to sleep and dress. If you are going in summer, you will likely be tied up against other ships and therefore there is no privacy with your curtains open. Doesn't matter what deck you are on. We are travelling this year in the lowest deck so will be able to compare that after we return in the fall. I take inside cabins on the big cruise ships so the acquarium class with a window should be a step up. There is really no movement on the river ships, no big waves, just gliding along.

On my first (and only) cruise, I was on the bottom deck on Uniworld's River Royale and couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised. It had two portholes instead of a picture window, and I never felt it was claustrophobic or dark. I was only there to sleep and change my clothes, so a window was not important. On this ship, the rooms on the lower and middeck are identical except for the window, so why pay more?

I was concerned about engine noise ahead of time, but there was none and I slept like a baby. If I go on a river cruise again, I will book the bottom deck and spend the money I save on souvenirs!

My only experience river cruising is on the new Viking Longboats. Your only choice is a little forward of mid ship to the back. I appreciate a balcony, and while small, the balcony on the Viking Idun was nice. If you happen to be tied up to another ship on your side it doesn't make any difference what level you are on, you won't see anything. The difference between the second and third deck is small, but in some ports if you were tied up on your side, on the second deck you would be looking at a stone wall, while on the third deck you would be at street level. I think the third deck is worth the extra money. We found that on a 14 day river cruise, we needed more alone time than you need on an ocean cruise. We watch our pennies like most people, you have already spent a bundle, I think the extra dollars for a nice view room is worth it.

Whatever ship you travel on I think it is always best to be as close to the middle as possible. On our recent Scenic Ruby Trip we chose the just behind the Royal suite that put us just behind the middle point. Not too far down a very long corridor,but far enough away from the engine noise and vibration at the back and any late night entertainment happening in the lounge at the front. We walked to the very end cabins to check out the noise/vibration factors and were really glad we weren't down there, it was really noticeable.

As for deck levels, the lowest levels would have spent a lot of time looking at slime covered lock walls, we were on the top deck and always had a fabulous view, although we did still have lock walls outside our veranda , but always cleared the top of the lock first:)

In summary, avoid the back third of the boat and get a balcony if you can because you may never do a river cruise again and it is worth the extra money to lie on the bed and watch the beautiful towns pass by or sit out on the balcony with your afternoon tea or wine. The fresh air from the sliding balcony doors is always a consideration for me too, because I don't like constant air conditioning. The lower cabin windows can not be opened.

Hope this helps, we didn't regret spending extra on a balcony. I never heard anyone say they were sorry for choosing a balcony, but I heard a few who were sorry they didn't.

Hello, and thank you in advance for taking the time to read this post and respond.

We are contemplating taking the AmaLyra in August 2013 down the Danube. We are pretty sure that we do not want to be on the bottom deck. Can someone discuss the merits and/or disadvantages to being on the middle or upper decks and back, middle or front of the boat? Is one area rockier than another? Noise issues? Etc?

I would imagine that river cruise boats are similar, so any responses are welcome and it would not have to be specific to AmaLyra.

Thank you.

Have a look at another current thread " Booking a cabin: fore, rear, aft" for more comments.

Archived