Diving - Beginner's Scuba

ladytiger96

Has anyone done the beginner's scuba dive? I did one 15 yrs ago, and it was only like 2 hours tops from instruction to completion. Carnival says 3-4 hours. While I want to do it, my husband and children do not, and I wouldn't want to spend 4 hours of the day apart from them. (This would be in Cayman, MoBay, or Coz)

LT

The class is about 2 hours, then your time to dive. PADI requires certain things to be reviewed/taught before you actually dive, even if you've done it before.

My H and I are both certified, but our college son is not. He has done the Discover program twice in the Bahamas. the guys are booked on a private excursion in Cozumel so they can dive together, they will still be gone almost 5 hours.

Our daughter & I have a different excursion planned that day and we'll all meet back on the ship in the evening.

Have you thought of everyone going snorkeling? Not the same as scuba but enjoyable and you do see a LOT of fish & coral. And you can snorkel even if you can't swim.

We did the 1st time once and learned more ON the ship than the class in Cozumel before the dive. I loved it, my husband hated it. So, now we enjoy snorkeling instead!

Well, scuba divers are often lonely! DW does not dive, and does not even want to try snorkeling. So I generally go off on my own and do my diving. IMHO if you are apart for a few hours one day, everyone will be fine and you will get to go diving. Most people do not appreciate how beautiful it is underwater, and diving is a whole lot different than just using a snorkel.

That being said, I am not a great fan of "resort courses" for divers. First of all, you don't really learn enough, and secondly they will take you out on very shallow dives (generally 15 - 20 feet of water). Then too, you will be nervous, as are all new divers, and will go through your air more quickly. As I said though, all new divers go through their air pretty quickly. Again, it is my opinion, but I would try to take a full course at home, and then go on a dive in port, and have them do your check-out dive(s). They will make you go through a few skills, and then take you on a real dive the rest of the time (in most places). Most of what you learn in a diving class is what to do when things don't go right, and there is a lot of safety in knowing that stuff.

Perhaps the more you rave about it after you come back, the more likely that another member of the family might join you next time. Alas that is not the case with my DW.

a 'resort course' now called a 'discovery dive' does have its place IMO. I recommend anyone considering full certification courses take a DD first. Some folks just do NOT like the experience and finding this out B4 investing in the full course price can be wize.... OTOH not every potential dive student has the op'ty to do a DD......

A Discovery Dive can be credited to 1/4 of a 'scuba diver' or 'open water diver' PADI class . . . IF you can find an instruction facility agreeable to the credit (I didn't find one for DD)

I disagree with the immediate previous post because you are gonna be hard pressed on a cruise to set up your facilities on your own for two - two dive check out trips (4 dives required), in DIFFERENT ports (ports only allow time for 2 dives usually).

Certified in 1973 by a single digit PADI instructor number .... my 250 dive pin is long ago rusted

I agree with Capt_BJ that it would take a good bit of planning and checking to get in all certification dives, but I was suggesting that the OP could possibly get one or two in and have those logged. When my DD did her checkouts in Cancun, the checkout diver would have her demonstrate a few skills, and then have her join the group on the rest of the regular dive. I do not think you would have to do all of your checkout dives, but some in the Caribbean are a whole lot nicer than all of them in some northern city. If you knew of this plan in advance, the location where the OP took the course could prepare a couple of letters for different checkout locations. It makes logical sense to me, but that might mean it isn't possible!

Since the OP has done some diving before, I also assume that she liked the experience.

Thanks you all. Yes, I did that dive 15 years ago in Cozumel and was IN LOVE. Checked into the certification once back home but got knocked up lol. Never started the actual courses. My husband hates the pressure in his ears in the deep side of the pool. He's not interested. I think we may snorkel this time, and I may do the certification here in my own town for a future trip, as we have so much planned for this trip already, and I don't want to be too pressed for time to enjoy my dive!

Thanks a BUNCH!

Always,

LT

Archived