G-20 Summit in Los Cabos during port days

Gwendy914

The summit itself is the 1th and 19th, and we're docking the 19th and 20th. I'm wondering if the tightened security is going to make traveling a pain? Or will things be even better because they'll be hosting dignitaries.

I know a few of the posters on this board live in the area. Thoughts? I'd hate to not see Mexico but I'd prefer a spa day if things are crazy.

All the activity is taking place in San Jose. There is speculation that it will not effect the Marina area all that much as the participants will be at the conference center or at their resorts.

Well actually there will be alot effected in Cabo during that time. I placed a call to the port captain and have a meeting with the port security today to try and find out specifics. I will post what I find out later today I hope.

Well actually there will be alot effected in Cabo during that time. I placed a call to the port captain and have a meeting with the port security today to try and find out specifics. I will post what I find out later today I hope.

Thank you!

I'll be anxious to hear since I'll be there during the summit. The Gringo Gazette keeps making it sound like no big deal.

"Cabo" is the generic term people use "Los Cabos" is the more accurate term meaning "The Cabos", because there are two of them, San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas.

It is likely to have some impact on Cabo San Lucas, but I can't see it impacting the harbor area a lot, but yes I can for the corridor between the two cities where a lot of the delegations will be staying. It might impact the excursions that head up the corridor.

"Cabo" is the generic term people use "Los Cabos" is the more accurate term meaning "The Cabos", because there are two of them, San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas.

It is likely to have some impact on Cabo San Lucas, but I can't see it impacting the harbor area a lot, but yes I can for the corridor between the two cities where a lot of the delegations will be staying. It might impact the excursions that head up the corridor.

Actually "Cabo" is what is used to mean Cabo San Lucas. Most people say San Jose when they mean San Jose del Cabo.

Los Cabos refers to the entire area including some other towns like Los Barailles and Todos Santos.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I did not get back here last week. Yes, due to the summit, the Splendor will be in Cabo Thursday and Friday June 21 and 22 NOT Tuesday-Wed 19th and 20th as originally planned. Day 1 port hours are the same and day 2 they will be here 7-2:30 ship time. There will be numerous road closures and although the bay will be open to activities, nothing will be allowed from the beaches - no water taxis, jet skis, etc. Both Santa Maria and Chileno bays will be closed for access either by land or water. So yes, dispite what the Gringo has "reported" it is a big deal as far as getting around and public access.

Sorry I did not get back here last week. Yes, due to the summit, the Splendor will be in Cabo Thursday and Friday June 21 and 22 NOT Tuesday-Wed 19th and 20th as originally planned. Day 1 port hours are the same and day 2 they will be here 7-2:30 ship time. There will be numerous road closures and although the bay will be open to activities, nothing will be allowed from the beaches - no water taxis, jet skis, etc. Both Santa Maria and Chileno bays will be closed for access either by land or water. So yes, dispite what the Gringo has "reported" it is a big deal as far as getting around and public access.

Thank you for posting here. I just got the itinerary change in my email. I'm glad I purchased shore excursions through the ship this time.

I was emailed the official guidelines from my broker. So is Medano Beach completely closed, that is, the restaurants, or is it just water activities.

We all know the Gringo doesn't know everything!:p I was surprized by the number of restrictions being put on Cabo since the summit is being held in San Jose.

I was emailed the official guidelines from my broker. So is Medano Beach completely closed, that is, the restaurants, or is it just water activities.

We all know the Gringo doesn't know everything!:p I was surprized by the number of restrictions being put on Cabo since the summit is being held in San Jose.

The restaurants and bars will be open as usual, it is just the port that is being closed so no water traffic at all- boats, water taxis, jet skis etc.

The Cabo resorts are being used for the visitors as well as the ones in San Jose, in fact President Obama will be staying just outside Cabo itself. It sounds like it is going to be crazy. My friends that live there say that the security is already started with federales and extra military everywhere, road check stops and just general chaos. Most of the locals will be staying close to their homes during that week.

The port will be open at all boat traffic including the cruiseship, tenders and all others. Water taxis, jet skis, etc will not be allowed to take off from Medano beach side of the bay (from Whale´s Head point to the mouth of the channel by the tender pier) just as it was during Clintons visit several weeks ago. The westside of the bay coastline is open to everything. This goes into effect starting June 12. Both Chileno and Sta. Maria will not be accessible from either land or water until June 21. Road blocks are setup on major roads by the federal police. The toll road to/from airport in San Jose will be closed for public. Everyone is required to have 2 forms of offical ID on them at all times. And the ship will be arriving on June 21 and 22 on LOCAL time.

Thank you for posting here. I just got the itinerary change in my email. I'm glad I purchased shore excursions through the ship this time.

I spoke to the captain yesterday and he is coming in on LOCAL time now. So on June 21 the ship will arrive at 9:30 local (leaving at 6) and on June 22 at 7:00 local and leaving at 2:30.

The port will be open at all boat traffic including the cruiseship, tenders and all others. Water taxis, jet skis, etc will not be allowed to take off from Medano beach side of the bay (from Whale´s Head point to the mouth of the channel by the tender pier) just as it was during Clintons visit several weeks ago. The westside of the bay coastline is open to everything. This goes into effect starting June 12. Both Chileno and Sta. Maria will not be accessible from either land or water until June 21. Road blocks are setup on major roads by the federal police. The toll road to/from airport in San Jose will be closed for public. Everyone is required to have 2 forms of offical ID on them at all times. And the ship will be arriving on June 21 and 22 on LOCAL time.

Hi I have a couple of question maybe you can answer then for me we will be their on the june 21,2012 and want to go Atv rides on the beach how will we get their? Also on the june 22 want to jet ski will the beach be open??

Hi I have a couple of question maybe you can answer then for me we will be their on the june 21,2012 and want to go Atv rides on the beach how will we get their? Also on the june 22 want to jet ski will the beach be open??

The closures and restrictions are SUPPOSED to only be in effect until June 20. So as of June 21, all SHOULD be back to normal. The big shots in charge keep changing their minds!

The port captain said this morning that he doesn´t know what the effective closure date is and referred me to an agency that is setup to coordinate (143-6699). They said that the closures/restrictions will be in effect starting June 15 now not June 12 as they previously announced running through June 20. So everything up until the 15th is as normal. Ahhh geez, I wish they would make up their minds!

The port captain said this morning that he doesn´t know what the effective closure date is and referred me to an agency that is setup to coordinate (143-6699). They said that the closures/restrictions will be in effect starting June 15 now not June 12 as they previously announced running through June 20. So everything up until the 15th is as normal. Ahhh geez, I wish they would make up their minds!

I really appreciate your continued updates. Thank you so much.

It's Mexico. What do you want?:p

I love the chaos.

You have a good attitude. :) Life is what you make it....no sense in getting bunched up about possible stress before it even happens.

It's Mexico. What do you want?:p

I love the chaos.

Chaos is fine as long as you don´t live or work here. How long have they known about the G20 and when did they decide they needed restrictions or rules or closures? "Planning ahead" is not a phrase used often here.

Chaos is fine as long as you don´t live or work here. How long have they known about the G20 and when did they decide they needed restrictions or rules or closures? "Planning ahead" is not a phrase used often here.

That's for sure! And it seems the rules are still changing. It will be interesting times here for the next few days. I've seen tons of Federal Police driving up and down Marina Blvd, looks like they are practicing.

Archived