For all magic and triumph cruisers.......

We've been watching the Galveston Webcams from both the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort (where we are staying) and the Spot Bar (where we love to people watch) and I kept telling my wife it looks like there was a Coney Island style or Malibu Pier style pier between those two areas that we didn't remember before.

Is this what we've been seeing??

Looks interesting.

We've been watching the Galveston Webcams from both the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort (where we are staying) and the Spot Bar (where we love to people watch) and I kept telling my wife it looks like there was a Coney Island style or Malibu Pier style pier between those two areas that we didn't remember before.

Looks interesting.

I would say yes it is. It is built on the old pier that the Flagship Inn was on.

They have a Facebook page.

Looks interesting.

Yes - it is new and exactly what another poster mentioned - on the same pier that the Flagship Hotel used to be. It was destroyed during Hurricane IKE. Meanwhile, the pier is also a semi-replica of an existing pier during the 1900's Galveston Heyday before the great storm!

Lots of fun (yes, will probably be quite expensive - Tillman is the builder) but still - lots of history he is trying to duplicate and I think it's quite COOL!

Just a little history on that pier- it was originally a "fun" pier before the Flagship hotel was built on it... it had an amusement park that was destroyed by Hurricane Carla in 1961. For those of you who remember the naked mermaid hotel across from Fishtails restaurant- in its heyday it was "the place" in Galveston. Been going downhill all through the 90s and Ike finished her off. So the pier has come full circle and is now operated by the Landry's group which also operates the Kemah amusement areas near Johnson Space Center.

sounds fun but once you do the math it will get very expensive.

I read the fine print and lost interest. $10 just to walk the grounds kind of removes the luster...

I lost interest the moment I heard it was a Landry's undertaking. None of us expected Fertita to give us anything that wasn't overpriced.

Generic ID - I happen to agree and disagree with you.

I do believe that for the most part, everything Tillman does is "overpriced"; but I also feel that he has done WONDERS with Galveston and turned it into a place worth visiting, instead of the filth and dirt it had become in the 80's/90's.

I for one love what it is now and enjoy visiting during all seasons. Winter and Summer.

Why are you not supportive?

I do believe that for the most part, everything Tillman does is "overpriced"; but I also feel that he has done WONDERS with Galveston and turned it into a place worth visiting, instead of the filth and dirt it had become in the 80's/90's.

I for one love what it is now and enjoy visiting during all seasons. Winter and Summer.

I couldn't agree more. The beautiful thing about capitalism is the supply and demand rule. If people weren't willing to pay what he charges...his prices would be lower. He charges as much as he does because PEOPLE WILL PAY IT (and DO, judging from the amount of success he has). As a local, I don't 'frequent' his restaurants but I don't boycott them either. I applaud his positive impact on the economy.

Also, I'm half-hoping he is successful in bringing gambling back to Galveston. I say 'half-hoping' because my bank account would not approve.

If you just look at this as one of your "shore excursions" for your cruise it seems pretty reasonable to me and so many that I read on these boards say they hardly leave the ship any more with a "been there, done that, bought the t-shirt" attitude - this will give you something new to do on your vacation.:)

I lost interest the moment I heard it was a Landry's undertaking. None of us expected Fertita to give us anything that wasn't overpriced.

I totally agree and he has ruined the upscale restaurants that he took over. If he owns it we run the other way.

Why are you not supportive?

The one who should get the credit for revitalizing Galveston is George Mitchell, not Tillman Fertita.

So, Texan-folk, how does this compare to the Kemah Boardwalk?

We'll be staying in Clear Lake near NASA, so I was planning an evening at Kemah.

(We got ourselves tickets to a VIP tour of NASA, which I think will make my Geek-ling children happy.)

Regardless of how all the locals feel about this (good or bad) as an outside (Denver, CO) Galveston has become and probably will remain our favorite town to visit in Texas. Anytime a move to Texas is mentioned, I'm always calculating how far the drive would be from Galveston to whichever city the job is in.

We LOVE Galveston so Congratulations to you all for turning that fantastic town, city, community..whatever you want to call her... around.

We arrive next Saturday June 2nd and will probably only pay the $10 access to the pier just to check it out.. but then we will hit The Spot for a couple of beverages before enjoying some time at the Sunspree Resort and then off to Miller's Seafood for our customary dinner the night before we sail.

And so looking forward to it all!!

;)

So, Texan-folk, how does this compare to the Kemah Boardwalk?

We'll be staying in Clear Lake near NASA, so I was planning an evening at Kemah.

(We got ourselves tickets to a VIP tour of NASA, which I think will make my Geek-ling children happy.)

Hi megmo- Kemah trumps the Pleasure Pier unless you are going to use the beach and do some other activities down there- it's because of the proximity of a large choice of restaurants next to the amusement park- estabished parking patterns, etc. Fireworks too at certain times in summer in Kemah. And hey, good for y'all that you scored a private tour!

Enjoy- hope you get to see everything you want to see.

Archived