Cheap Rates/Save Money with Travel Agent

I'm new to the site an assume I cannot reference a specific individual. My comment is on the discount cruise websites. We are now preparing for our 11th cruise. Our 7th was a fabulous internet deal UNTIL the ship had a problem and didn't sail. There were 20 of us-3 weeks before departure and no clue where we would all end up. When I called the site-we were given a number-there were so many people to rebook they were systematically calling each reservation to reschedule. They were just operators rescheduling numbers-and didn't care if we were booked on another ship together or not. Because of their "reschedule according to your number" system. We ended up on 3 different ships for our "family" vacation. To make a long story short, I ended up "chatting" with a T/A I had emailed with a question. We have been with him ever since. I search the web, find the best price and he matches it! Best of both worlds. All the personal service of a T/A-but treated as more than a #. I have no personal or business relationship with him (other than T/A-client)-in fact he lives across the country. I just wish I had read a post about him 15 years ago when we started cruising.

I have used a TA, an Internet site and gone directly through the Cruise company - with only one problem and that was with a TA. We needed to conatct him about getting a price change and he was "on vacation" and we couldn't get ahold of him. The cruise people kept telling me I had to go through him but we never could! After that I'd reaserch and call the company directly - they have always matched the price and are available should a problem come up.;)

• 3 weeks later...

With pricing changing so much its hard to change right then and there. Do check periodically, but I always recommend the client to check in with myself to see how the price is doing. I always give my email address which is the easiest way to get a hold of me.

I don't think clients expect to pay more as a cruise goes up in price, as it often does. So why should I, as a travel agent, be expected to honor a lower price?

Because, that is one of the services we provide. Too many older TA's in this industry are "grumpy" and unwilling to show real customer service skills. Part of being a good agent is finding the best price!

As a TA, our agency prefers to give the best price (often discounted) along with great personal service right from the first phone call. In this age of technology, it only takes about 5 minutes to figure out the best price in even the most complicated cruise bookings.

and trust me, the cruise lines are not giving out the best prices!

What did you really expected after booking a great vacation.. to get a five star ship and penthouse given to you...

Sorry.. if you really want a great family and CHEEP FAMİLY cruise.. you better dont be CHEEP and get a nice cruise with your family...

My advise.. more money better cruise..

Great time...

Great advice from someone who just started posting today! LOL

Seriously, I have booked through TA's and through the cruiseline.

Most of my great deals in the past were through online agents. Since the "no discounting policies" went into affect, there isn't much of a difference in price anymore. The last cruise I booked direct with RCCL since they have no cancellation fees, I can cancel up to final payment date at no charge.

It is great that you have been able to find a TA who will match discount prices. I have yet to find one of those!

Good luck,

Donna

Seriously, I have booked through TA's and through the cruiseline.

Most of my great deals in the past were through online agents. Since the "no discounting policies" went into affect, there isn't much of a difference in price anymore. The last cruise I booked direct with RCCL since they have no cancellation fees, I can cancel up to final payment date at no charge.

LOL! There is a huge price difference, that is only what the cruise lines want you to believe! Many agencies also have the same policy as the cruise lines when it comes to cancellations, ours does. The cruise lines cancellation fees are all virtually the same, after final payment you are under penalty depending on how close to the sailing. We actually apply our cancellation fee to a client's future booking.

INSIDER TIP: You can't find the best deals by looking online! You have to call the agency. It's funny that most people are scared of the "hard sell" and don't want to call an agent. Cruiselines are restricting "advertised" prices, but not actual prices at the point of sale.

Archived