Need to be efficient in Stockholm-need advice!

Thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful! If we do take the bus, where can we purchase tickets? I know that we cannot purchase them on the bus. So, will there be a kiosk or ticket booth at the Gamla Stan stop? We were thinking of avoiding getting local currency and just using our US credit card and Euros on this stop. But, would that mean that it will be impossible to purchase a bus ticket? Thank you so much - these details help so much.

PS. The reason we're thinking of skipping local currency here is that I read that there is no ATM on the pier, and we are going straight to Vasa on a ferry, and I don't know where we'd see an ATM.

We are going to exchange a small amount of money on the ship to have for transportation. They may not offer the best exchange rate, but I am not going to worry about it based on the small amount we are planning on exchanging

VAtravelers100,

We paid cash (SEK) for the boat ticket but I think they also took US$ and Euros. Right when we got off the boat there were several people touting their HOHO boats and buses. They directed us to a couple of little ticket booths to purchase tickets. It seemed like most places we stopped had pricing in local currency, US$ and Euros. For the trip back to the boat with several people maybe a taxi would be easiest. We used our Capitol One non-chip credit card at all ports and didn't have a problem. We just let them know it needed a signature and they would swipe the card and print a receipt for us to sign.

Julie

As far as being efficient, it would help to be able to watch the 25 minute Vasa film before traveling. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be available. I found a pretty good one on YouTube. I wonder how it compares to the one shown at the museum.

I just finished watching this UTube thing, and to be perfectly honest, there simply is no comparison. This UTube thing is just someone telling the story with a bunch of drawings and stills to show you. The actual Vasa video is about 25 minutes long and most of it is the finding and restoring the vessel. They showed how it was brought to the surface and how the restoration was done.

I really didn't know that much about Vasa, and after watching this movie, I was blown away by the entire story.

You MUST see the Vasa movie to really appreciate what this vessel is, and how they made it the way it is. Just remember, they built the museum around the Vasa.

Cheers

Len

Archived