Need to be efficient in Stockholm-need advice!

The HOHO boat between Gamla Stan and Vasa was faster than the bus or walking (and we walk fast.) We were there for 2 days and did all three modes of transport. You can see Vasa from Gamla Stan across the harbor. Allow 2 hours for Vasa. There is a nice cafe there for coffee or lunch. The Swedish Palace in Gamla Stan is outstanding if you have the time. The changing of the guard rivals Buckingham Palace. Whatever you choose, you'll have a lovely day in Stockholm.

Can anybody tell me what is a cash coupon and a pre-paid coupon for the transport system in Stockholm. Is it something we can buy? We are a group of 8 so a pre-paid strip of 16 coupons would work out for us and it seems very cheap comparatively. I understand we need 2 coupons each for a trip in zone 1.

We just got back from our Baltic cruise and this is what we did in Stockholm (9AM to 5PM). We were docked at Stadsgarden 167, at the end of the piers after the Viking ferries. When we got off the boat there were several groups of people with info about the HOHO boats and buses. We followed a painted line a few steps to the end of the pier where we were able to purchase a one-stop ticket to the Vasa (40 SEK). The boat left about 9:30 and we were at the Vasa at 9:45. Just a note about the film, most of the films have English subtitles. We watched the Swedish one that started right at 10AM when the museum opened. We left the Vasa around 11:30 and went to a little Aquarium that was just around the corner. After the Aquarium we walked around to the Palace and visited the Royal Armoury. We then walked through Gamla Stan and back to the ship. Be aware that if you are at Stadsgarden 167 it is a long walk from Gamla Stan. It seemed to go on forever.

Julie

Thanks. Either Princess has no idea what they are talking about or they changed it. There goes my plan of action...will have to alter it a little.

Hi UF G8R, I just called Princess today and they are still telling me Frihamn for August 28th. Are you on voyage E223?

Well, I guess I just better make a game plan for both ports just in case.

Can anybody tell me what is a cash coupon and a pre-paid coupon for the transport system in Stockholm. Is it something we can buy? We are a group of 8 so a pre-paid strip of 16 coupons would work out for us and it seems very cheap comparatively. I understand we need 2 coupons each for a trip in zone 1.

Hello! Cash coupons are awfully expensive. The best I think for you is to prebuy in lots of seven-eleven stores or at the big T-centralen. (Central station) or T-slussen if you arrive Stadsgardskajen. Hope this little info helped a little. /chris58

Hello! Cash coupons are awfully expensive. The best I think for you is to prebuy in lots of seven-eleven stores or at the big T-centralen. (Central station) or T-slussen if you arrive Stadsgardskajen. Hope this little info helped a little. /chris58

Thanks for the information Chris58. We are docking at Stadsgarten 167. I think I read that there is a SL kiosk/centre or something there. So do you think it would be possible to buy a strip of 16 pre-paid coupons there as I think that would be the cheapest option. We're planning to go to the Vasa museum first with the HOHO boat for one stop so would not be in the centre at first. What is in fact a cash coupon and how does it differ from the pre-paid one?

Thanks for the information Chris58. We are docking at Stadsgarten 167. I think I read that there is a SL kiosk/centre or something there. So do you think it would be possible to buy a strip of 16 pre-paid coupons there as I think that would be the cheapest option. We're planning to go to the Vasa museum first with the HOHO boat for one stop so would not be in the centre at first. What is in fact a cash coupon and how does it differ from the pre-paid one?

A cash-coupon is very much more expensive and at some buses you can`t buy with cash. And there are prebought strips for several people to use. They are very helpful at the sl-centre. (Stockholms localtraffic9. What you also can do is to check their web-site. http://www.sl.se They have lots of info is english.

Have a very nice stay and cruise. /chris58

As far as being efficient, it would help to be able to watch the 25 minute Vasa film before traveling. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be available. I found a pretty good one on YouTube. I wonder how it compares to the one shown at the museum.

As far as being efficient, it would help to be able to watch the 25 minute Vasa film before traveling. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be available. I found a pretty good one on YouTube. I wonder how it compares to the one shown at the museum.

In my mind the one on YouTube is actually superior to the Vasa film as it is more informative and goes deeper into the details. But the Vasa film have some sequences of the recovery and conservation while the YouTube one has only stills

Hi! Can anyone tell me what bus to take from Gamla Stan to City Hall? And then which bus from City Hall back to Frihamnen?

Probably bus #3 in the first case, possibly a walk + bus #1 or #76 in the latter case.

See map:

http://sl.se/scripts/kartor-geografiska/7510.Innerstan.2011.html

Note that bus #91 is a night line so you cannot use that one.

In my mind the one on YouTube is actually superior to the Vasa film as it is more informative and goes deeper into the details. But the Vasa film have some sequences of the recovery and conservation while the YouTube one has only stills

That's very helpful to know. Thanks.

Can Anybody tell me which bus to take from gamla stan to Stadsgarden 167 and how much would a bus ticket cost?

the timetables are valid to August 19th so if you are expect to dock

later then that, the timetables are not available yet.

If you visits earlier then that, then Bus #53 should be a good options.

So go to Mälartorget (gamla stan), board bus #53 towards Henriksdals berget or Finnberget.

Its same tour but it sometimes goes all the way to finnberget).

Get off at Londonviadukten/stadsgården.

the timetables are valid to August 19th so if you are expect to dock

later then that, the timetables are not available yet.

If you visits earlier then that, then Bus #53 should be a good options.

So go to Mälartorget (gamla stan), board bus #53 towards Henriksdals berget or Finnberget.

Its same tour but it sometimes goes all the way to finnberget).

Get off at Londonviadukten/stadsgården.

We also will be at S167 STADSGÅRDEN. An earlier poster mentioned that it is a long walk from Gamla Stan to the ship. Is it a nice walk at all or would it be better to figure out transportation? If we want transportation, is the info in the quote above the best strategy for getting from Gamla Stan to the ship? Thanks for any insight...

Also thanks to cougfan for the very informative post. We hope to follow in your footsteps and begin with a one way ferry to Vasa before it opens. Hopefully it will work for us too! How did you purchase the ticket... we have non-chip credit cards. Will that work or do we need to find an ATM before purchasing the ferry ticket?

That is a great video, thanks Ken. If it's any interest to anyone here's one I made from my visit to Vasa

We also will be at S167 STADSGÅRDEN. An earlier poster mentioned that it is a long walk from Gamla Stan to the ship. Is it a nice walk at all or would it be better to figure out transportation? If we want transportation, is the info in the quote above the best strategy for getting from Gamla Stan to the ship? Thanks for any insight...

From the Royal Palace its almost 3km to the ship. From the southern

most part of Gamla Stan its about 2km.

If its a nice walk or not is kinda hard for me to judge for you.

see for your self: https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Skeppsbron&daddr=59.31574,18.103573&hl=sv&ll=59.321209,18.073577&spn=0.016838,0.066047&sll=59.321411,18.083646&sspn=0.008419,0.033023&geocode=FaotiQMd0sgTAQ%3BFRwWiQMdFT0UAQ&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=16&t=m&layer=c&cbll=59.321209,18.073577&panoid=0sqQlFlqulNSjnBswZzaJA&cbp=12,136.8,,0,0&z=15

just look the the right, move forward, turn left at the bottom of

the slope and just continue until you reach the Viking Line Terminals.

Desdichado62 - thank you for that information!

If my husband's parents are not feeling up to the walk, what would be the best transportation option to get to S167 STADSGÅRDEN from Gamla Stan?

Basically you have two options, bus or Taxi.

Buses #56 and #71 both passes by Gamla Stan and S 167 (stop

is named Londonviadukten).

see map: http://sl.se/scripts/kartor-geografiska/7510.Innerstan.2011.html

Basically you have two options, bus or Taxi.

Buses #56 and #71 both passes by Gamla Stan and S 167 (stop

is named Londonviadukten).

see map: http://sl.se/scripts/kartor-geografiska/7510.Innerstan.2011.html

Thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful! If we do take the bus, where can we purchase tickets? I know that we cannot purchase them on the bus. So, will there be a kiosk or ticket booth at the Gamla Stan stop? We were thinking of avoiding getting local currency and just using our US credit card and Euros on this stop. But, would that mean that it will be impossible to purchase a bus ticket? Thank you so much - these details help so much.

PS. The reason we're thinking of skipping local currency here is that I read that there is no ATM on the pier, and we are going straight to Vasa on a ferry, and I don't know where we'd see an ATM.

Thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful! If we do take the bus, where can we purchase tickets? I know that we cannot purchase them on the bus. So, will there be a kiosk or ticket booth at the Gamla Stan stop? We were thinking of avoiding getting local currency and just using our US credit card and Euros on this stop. But, would that mean that it will be impossible to purchase a bus ticket? Thank you so much - these details help so much.

PS. The reason we're thinking of skipping local currency here is that I read that there is no ATM on the pier, and we are going straight to Vasa on a ferry, and I don't know where we'd see an ATM.

Not at the stop but there are several places in Gamla Stan that sells

SL coupons;

• Pressbyrån, Västerlånggatan 19
  • Hjärtpunkten, Järntorget 83
  • 7-Eleven, Västerlånggatan 38

Also if you would need a small amount of cash, an ATM is not always necessary.

If you go to a store/shop/supermarket and etc you can always politely ask if they can charge you extra for the amount of cash you need.

That is if you buy something from them.

However Pressbyrån (and i assume) 7-eleven will accept credit cards.

If it's any interest to anyone here's one I made from my visit to Vasa

I loved your video! There was lots of interesting info. I also loved the sound track. Would like to know the jazz artist/song that played during the last few minutes:)

Susan

I loved your video! There was lots of interesting info. I also loved the sound track. Would like to know the jazz artist/song that played during the last few minutes:)

Susan

Thanks Susan. That was an instrumental of Jimmy Webb's 'Didn't We' and the sax was played by my late uncle, Bob Adams.

Archived