iPhones Rental on-board Allure of the Seas?

I read in a previous thread that there are iPhones for "rent" that utilize the telephonics from the ship, vice "cellular at sea". We're trying to figure out if this is a better way to communicate with-in our "group" and avoid using walkie-talkies.

Has anyone rented an iPhone and if so, can you please provide some details about it? That posting was the first that I had read about it.

Thanks much!

Lady_G

]I read in a previous thread that there are iPhones for "rent" that utilize the telephonics from the ship' date=' vice "cellular at sea".[/color'] We're trying to figure out if this is a better way to communicate with-in our "group" and avoid using walkie-talkies.

Has anyone rented an iPhone and if so, can you please provide some details about it? That posting was the first that I had read about it.

Thanks much!

Lady_G

The iPhones for rent on Allure and Oasis do not use "Cellular at Sea". They use the shipwide pervasive WiFi, so have much better coverage and reliability than either a walkie talkie or a cell phone.

The iPhones for rent on Allure and Oasis do not use "Cellular at Sea". They use the shipwide pervasive WiFi, so have much better coverage and reliability than either a walkie talkie or a cell phone.

This is so cool!!!

Edited by Lady_Gamecock

What if you have your own Iphone 4s can you use them to communicate? I ordered our new Iphones today and am hoping there is someway without paying a fortune to communicate.

I too have an iPhone 4s as well as a member of the party in another room - my concern is that in order to function, the phones will have to be on the ship's network - I do not want to pay a fortune on internet charges and whatnot, just to locate someone in our party.

The GPS Tracking is a nice feature, though. There will be times that we all won't be together and to know where everyone is a great feature.

I must say that I am concerned about the "replacement fee" in the event something happens to it. I DO NOT want to pay for a new iPhone in the event something should happen.......

What if you have your own Iphone 4s can you use them to communicate? I ordered our new Iphones today and am hoping there is someway without paying a fortune to communicate.

The ship's network would cost $0.65 per minute for Internet access. It can be cheaper if you purchase a package, but it's still not going to be very cost effective to use your personal iPhone for communicating on board.

I do not think that it being an iPhone really has anything to do with it. It is just the platform that hey used to make their ONBOARD communications. They could probably just as easy have went with Android Phones. From what I read, these devices, the Royal Connect ones, are simply used for room to room communication along with locating other members with phones, and also locating children that are wearing their GPS bracelets.

I am sure they have a pretty well secured wireless network on the ship that you will not be able to tap into.

The fear of putting your phone on the paid wireless network is that if you leave it on, the phone will most likely burn through the allowance in no time.

If it weren't for my kids being on vaca with us, I would not be getting them. But for peace of mind and being able to find my kids when ever I need to I will probably get one. They are planning on going to the kids club daily.

I too have an iPhone 4s as well as a member of the party in another room - my concern is that in order to function, the phones will have to be on the ship's network - I do not want to pay a fortune on internet charges and whatnot, just to locate someone in our party.

The GPS Tracking is a nice feature, though. There will be times that we all won't be together and to know where everyone is a great feature.

I must say that I am concerned about the "replacement fee" in the event something happens to it. I DO NOT want to pay for a new iPhone in the event something should happen.......

Can you tell me about the GPS tracking part of the phone? Just got the phone in hand 2 hrs ago and have no clue what it does or doesn't do yet LOL

Can you tell me about the GPS tracking part of the phone? Just got the phone in hand 2 hrs ago and have no clue what it does or doesn't do yet LOL

I am assuming you're presently aboard ship.... :)

Anyway, there should be an app on the phone that says something to the effect of "Find Someone" or the like. You will need to have at least two phones and know one another's contact and the feature should tell you where the other phone is. NOW, please note, I have NOT used this yet, I'm just conjecturing; I know there are bands for children utilizing the Kids Club and you can locate your child via the tracking device.

Let me know how it works!! Take a screen shot and show menus if you can (or know how to). :p

• 2 weeks later...

I have read all of the info everyone is posting, but then I googled, and it sounds like it is only available on "Oasis"? Has anyone literally used the iphones recently on Allure?

Royal Connect Phone*

Keep in touch anytime, anywhere onboard with the new Royal Connect Phone. Call, text and view onboard activities quickly with Royal Connect. Plus, find family and friends with the easy-to-use Royal Connect Phone finder feature. The cost is only $30.00 USD per phone for the entire length of the cruise vacation. Rent as many phones as you like, while supplies last. Please check the ship?s daily Cruise Compass for times and location of the Royal Connect Desk. Staying in touch onboard has now been made easier with Royal Connect. Don?t miss a moment of the action!

*Royal Connect is currently available on Oasis of the Seas.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experience/html.do?exCode=805

June 17, 2012 Allure of the Seas!

• 1 month later...

I was just on Allure and did not see any information about them, but I didn't ask either. I did not see anyone using these but it's a big ship. For me, I was with a party of 6 and would have been nice at times to track them down, but we did ok without them.

Wow, looking at the brochures it is only $30 for the entire cruise. If you have alot of people going with you then I think it is worth it.

Especially if you have children that you are trying to keep track of if they are responsible enough.

Happy sailing. :p:p:p

• 1 year later...

Went on the Allure of the Seas in August 2013 and did rent the iphones.

They were great very reasonable for the week. But beware that if you lose them, they will be a $1000 penalty. So we are a family of 4(2 daughters 12 &15) so I rented 2 iphones and handed one to my older daughter.

Again they worked great and well worth it as the ship is HUGE! The iphone even has the delay activities going on in the ship.