Need help with shore excursion (Costa Maya & Cosumel)

Okay, I need help deciding which of the excursions that my family will be doing. We will be sailing in July, (myself 38, husband 50, son 17 and his girlfriend 18)

Cosata Maya (port time 12-7) We had planned on doing a beach excursion that Carnival offers but I have heard bad feedback. I heard the bottom of the ocean was mostly moss or sea grass and I don't think we would like that, any suggestions would be helpful. We have also looked at the atv, but my son will be shy of his 18th birthday by a few months so he can't do that. We did the ruin excursion last year so we would need something different. We don't want to rent anything and drive, a taxi would be okay.

Cosumel (port time 8-5) We were planning on doing the catermeran excursion there, but the only one listed by Carnival is at 8 am. Alittle early for most people, or for us anyway. Last year we did this and it was the best thing we did the whole trip, but last year they offered a morning and afternoon trip and this year they only offer a morning trip out. I don't understand why they don't offer the afternoon trip because we are in the port the same amount of time as last year. Also most of the excursions Carnival offers starts at 8 or 9, does anyone have any suggestions.

Terri

We spent our day in Costa Maya at Mahajual. We had our 14 year old son and his friend along as well as a few other friends. We took a cab ($3 per person there, $2 back) into the fishing village, walked until we found Tapas (a restaurant with tables and chairs (free) along the water) and spent the day there. IT WAS THE BEST DAY OF OUR CRUISE! We met up with people I had chatted with on this forum and spent the day getting to know them better. The water was gorgeous and clear. The boys walked in town for a while and got a chance to see lots of iguanas and a way of life they have never experience before!

In Cozumel we rented a car and drove around the island. It is pretty much uninhabited on the west side.....the beaches are breathtaking...but swimming is discouraged. The riptides are very dangerous! There are restaurants every few miles right on the water. We stopped at Senor Iguana and had some great tacos. This was our second best day....time spent seeing more of the country than just the port. And...we had the roads to ourselves! I think swimming is permitted behind Senor Iguanas. They had boards for rent. Whatever you decide I hope you have a great cruise!

Cosumel (port time 8-5) We were planning on doing the catermeran excursion there, but the only one listed by Carnival is at 8 am. Alittle early for most people, or for us anyway. Last year we did this and it was the best thing we did the whole trip, but last year they offered a morning and afternoon trip and this year they only offer a morning trip out. I don't understand why they don't offer the afternoon trip because we are in the port the same amount of time as last year. Also most of the excursions Carnival offers starts at 8 or 9, does anyone have any suggestions.

Terri

Hi Terri,

Enjoy your cruise! We just got back from Cozumel/Playa Del Carmen. We took a taxi from the port in Cozumel to Chankanaab (?sp) park. It's a combination of beach, park, miniature ruins, zoo, and has places to rent scuba, snorkel equipment, etc. We had a fantastic time there. We did not book through the cruise ship. We got off the boat at about 9 a.m. and took a cab van (5 of us) for $18 one way. Park does have an admission (? $12). Beach is GREAT for snorkeling and scuba. If you do a beginning scuba with Chankanaab Sports (3rd hut I think), it's $55 which includes a lesson, an hour dive, and use of snorkel equipment for the whole day. The cruise line will charge you $90 for this same excursion. My hubby, daughter, and son did this (kids age 16 and 21), their first time, and they absolutely loved it. Got a great picture of them underwater too.

Beach has plenty of waiters running around offering drinks, etc. Nice gift shop to buy snacks, etc.

Another beach close by is called Paradise Beach. I've heard that's beautiful as well.

Plan on easily being able to spend an hour or two shopping in Cozumel too. You can bargain quite a bit ~ don't pay what they offer at first. They will more than likely go down by more than half by the time you're done. I got a tri-color gold chain that started at $125 and I ended up getting it for $40, which I wanted to spend.

hey terri!

in costa maya last year we stayed in the area at the end of the pier. from what i understand it was built up specifically for the cruise ship passengers. there are a bunch of shops and places to eat, and we caught a little show with mexican dancers. we rented waverunners and rode them at a beach about 10-15 minutes away (by cab).

in cozumel we did the beach buggy/snorkel combo. the buggy fits 4 people, and you need to know how to drive stick. we drove in a line down the road, and snorkeled off the side of the road. then we drove to this amazing place to take pics, where the waves crashed against the rocks. it was so gorgeous!! then we drove to a little beach where there was an area roped off to swim, we had a mexican lunch and played beach volleyball. they also had umbrellas and blankets set up for us on that beach.

when we got back we still had enough time to shop down by the dock.

Archived