Seattle or Vancouver?

sametu

That's a new expression to me. What does it mean?

-Monte

Airports where you are required to remove your shoes at security despite the fact that it is not a federal regulation. Some airports let you walk shod through the metal detector (and if your shoes make it go beep then you get the secondary examination) while others like SEA just make everyone take 'em off, resulting in considerable delay at peak times. And we're a hiking-boot kind of place, so the hassle can be really annoying sometimes.

I always expect to get strip searched at SeaTac. I find a suggestive smile when they tell me to take off my belt ususally gets a command to keep it on and proceed. ;)

Seriously, it might be more than just SeaTac. Even Yakima (long know as a hot bed for terror activities) always makes everyone take off their shoes.

-Monte

For those of you who have sailed to Alaska, any opinions as to departing from Seattle or Vancouver? Thanks.

;)

Both cities are great. Seattle and Vancouver are pretty much toss ups as far as scenery goes. They are both beautiful and , green surrounded by water, forests and mountains. Vancouver has managed to preserve much of its traditional architecture whereas Seattle has managed to remove it and replace it with controversial sculpture art. Vancouver gives you more of a cosmopolitan feel.

I have sailed to Alaska from both Vancouver and Seattle and enjoyed each cruise immensly.

If this is your first cruise I would definately recommend Seattle. There is no border crossing delay and long drive to Vancouver. No currency exchange hassles.

Unlike Vancouver, you get the complete Alaska experience by sailing out of Seattle because no other North American city is as closely associated with the history of Alaska. Seattle is the place where miners were outfitted and sailed to the Alaska gold fields... where the steamer Portland docked with the famous "ton of gold"..the site is marked with a plaque adjacent to the Pier 66 cruise terminal.

Seattle is a fun city to explore before or after your cruise. I live in Seattle and am sailing the Diamond Princess for my third Alaska cruise next month. I doubt I will ever sail out of Vancouver again unless I come across an exceptional bargain cruise that would justify the time consuming border crossing=customs, currency exchange issues that come with sailing out of Vancouver.

In defense of Vancouver ..if this should be your choice for port of debarkation.. once you have run this obstacle course it is also a fun place to explore and you will be in for a fine experience and a delightful Alaskan cruise.

For those of you who have sailed to Alaska, any opinions as to departing from Seattle or Vancouver? Thanks.

;)

Both cities are great. Seattle and Vancouver are pretty much toss ups as far as scenery goes. They are both beautiful and , green surrounded by water, forests and mountains. Vancouver has managed to preserve much of its traditional architecture whereas Seattle has managed to remove it and replace it with controversial sculpture art. Vancouver gives you more of a cosmopolitan feel.

I have sailed to Alaska from both Vancouver and Seattle and enjoyed each cruise immensly.

If this is your first cruise I would definately recommend Seattle. There is no border crossing delay and long drive to Vancouver. No currency exchange hassles.

Unlike Vancouver, you get the complete Alaska experience by sailing out of Seattle because no other North American city is as closely associated with the history of Alaska. Seattle is the place where miners were outfitted and sailed to the Alaska gold fields... where the steamer Portland docked with the famous "ton of gold"..the site is marked with a plaque adjacent to the Pier 66 cruise terminal.

Seattle is a fun city to explore before or after your cruise. I live in Seattle and am sailing the Diamond Princess for my third Alaska cruise next month. I doubt I will ever sail out of Vancouver again unless I come across an exceptional bargain cruise that would justify the time consuming border crossing=customs, currency exchange issues that come with sailing out of Vancouver.

In defense of Vancouver ..if this should be your choice for port of debarkation.. once you have run this obstacle course it is also a fun place to explore and you will be in for a fine experience and a delightful Alaskan cruise.

Archived