Returned from Hawaii on Pride of Aloha

Bunie2

This was our first time cruising with Norwegian and our 1st time to Hawaii

We departed 4/22 stayed at the Marriott on Waikiki for 2 days. The Marriott was very nice. Got on the ship on 4/24.

We have cruised with RCL and Princess before. Pride of Aloha does not compare to RCL but is much better than Princess. This is a smaller ship, small buffet, all the bars are not open all day long. The dress code is casual, which is refreshing after so many cruises of having to "dress up" every night. The food was good, the service was good (if you have certain waiters). The shows were entertaining. The bartender Melanie at the Atrium Bar was the best they had, a big asset to the ship. We always had a clean room, fresh towels, ice and if you ask for a coffee maker in your room you will get one.

I did not have a problem with the bed being too hard as some have said.

The music was a little old for my taste in the disco. The ship overall was clean. They still need to work on training some of their employees at the front desk. Some did not have a clue when asked about excursions. They do have a Kiosk where you can buy your excursions and get the ticket right then. One excursion I DO NOT Recommend is the sunset dinner sail in Maui. We paid 71.00 each for it , it was horrible.

We took a snokeling excursion in Kona with Body Glove, I highly recommend them, worth more than they charge. Molikini Crater Snorkel in Maui was awesome, beautiful place. We also went on the Vocanoes National Park Odysey in Hilo, I recommend. There's one excursion in Hilo that takes you to the Lava flow, I heard from several people that wnet, it is like walking on hot glass, very rough even for people in shape. Several people fell and got cut up, 1 person fell and broke his wrist. I am glad we did not do that one.

We went to Pearl Harbor, words can't describe the feeling you get when you go there.

Also there's an old Whaler's Village on Maui called Lahaina, it is a must see.

There's a free shuttle to Walmart on almost all islands, take it, go get bottled water, cokes, etc. and put in your fridge, it saves money (although we didn't do it this time, many people did)

Hope this wasn't too long just trying to give some info.

Just go have a good time, do not expect to be on the Queen Mary II, and you won't be disappointed. You are in Hawaii, it is beautiful there.

Thanks very much for the review. It definitely wasn't too long. Details are generally appreciated.

You stated, "Pride of Aloha does not compare to RCL but is much better than Princess." Can you tell us which Royal Caribbean and Princess ships you're comparing POA to? Knowing the specific ships can give us a little more insight to your perspective.

Thanks for the review Bunie2 !

2 questions: what was the tipping program...was there a daily fee added to your charges, or, was it strictly tip-as-you-go?

And, how stable was the ship when at sea? Some people have mentioned at can be rough enough between the islands to have dishes slide off tables...

It is strictly tip as you go and feel like tipping. This ship since it is an American ship the people get paid hourly and overtime as well. They dropped the add on tip to your bill.

We never had problems with the seas being rough,the tables were always stable.

RCL

Explorer of the Seas- Voyager class

Serenade of the Seas - Radiance Class

Princess

Grand Princess - which was their biggest ship at that time.This ship was so dirty in all areas. We had a balcony and we ordered room service every morning for breakfast, we never rec'd it once, even after calling. The food was so mediocre. Staff not friendly at all.

Thanks for the info -

I'm in the process of being hired by NCL, and I was shocked that the recuiter at my interview didn't know the current tipping program.

By the way....you liked the Marriott at Waikiki Beach?? Did you happen to order room service there? What did you like/not like about the hotel?

They had just changed the tipping program before we got there which was on 4/24. I did hear that POA is a "training" ship for employees. Many didn't know things, it is 5 month "contract" some make it some don't. We talked to many staff about how NCL works. We had always been on International ships and they are much different.

We never ordered room service at Marriott but we ate at the restaurant there

and eating in Hawaii is very expensive, unless you eat at Mc Donald's or comparable in which the prices are the same.

At the Marriott we had a sampler platter and 2 alcoholic drinks it cost us 58.00

Waikiki Beach was just beautiful

I certainly agree with you about the expenses of Waikiki. I've been living here for a year now, its pretty excessive. I've found a few cheap places to eat though, other McDonalds. I'm glad you liked the hotel, since I work there! I might have seen you!

RCL

Explorer of the Seas- Voyager class

Serenade of the Seas - Radiance Class

Princess

Grand Princess - which was their biggest ship at that time.This ship was so dirty in all areas. We had a balcony and we ordered room service every morning for breakfast, we never rec'd it once, even after calling. The food was so mediocre. Staff not friendly at all.

Thanks for the clarification. I just figured out that your signature contains your cruising history. Unfortunately, I had that feature (keeping signatures visible) turned off in order to minimize clutter in the threads.

Archived