9 Reasons not to take a baby on a cruise...breathe as you read....

deniuh

I think the author sabotaged herself, and her child, before she even got on board.

If your baby has to nap at 10:45 (not 10:30? not 11:00?), make sure the baby gets that nap in before you leave for the ship. And don't choose an itinerary with port stops that don't coincide with her schedule. Or a cabin that doesn't have a balcony or cannot be divided in some way. And bring the damn pool - it was one of the first things I read on these boards.

Yes, cruising is more difficult with a small child - that's because life is more difficult with a small child. Really, what vacation would have been better? One that required a plane ride? If you think being in a cabin is confining, try sitting in a plane seat for several hours with an active baby. And don't even mention how restricted you are in what you can bring with you. How about a condo? All the work of being at home - cooking, dishes, sweeping, picking up, making beds - without all of the conveniences you have at home. An all-inclusive resort? The same restrictions on not being able to use the pool and the same formal dinners. And you still have to wash sippy cups and bottles, pack a lot of clothes and some baby food - unless you know of a really, really all-inclusive one.

And by one, that baby should be mostly done with baby food.

I realize that a more controversial,less well-balanced, hair-on-fire piece will be printed just because it is controversial; I just think it's sad that some people who would really enjoy cruising with their babies and toddlers would be dissuaded from doing so by articles like this.

It does get easier. My two are less than a year apart and their were times where I questioned my sanity. They are 7 & 8 now and they are best friends. It got easier around the time they were 4 & 5

4 & 5 sounds like music to my ears! I have 3 girls, a 4 year old and twins that *just* turned 3. We are going on our first family cruise in September! :eek: I am so excited and a bit nervous. :D

Taking 1 kid on a cruise sounds like CAKE. :p

4 & 5 sounds like music to my ears! I have 3 girls, a 4 year old and twins that *just* turned 3. We are going on our first family cruise in September! :eek: I am so excited and a bit nervous. :D

I dont know, my youngest who will be 4 in December does not seem to be getting any easier. In fact the tantrums seem to be getting worse. # is certainky much worse than 2 was, lol. Im hoping that 4 is the magic number :)

If your baby has to nap at 10:45 (not 10:30? not 11:00?), make sure the baby gets that nap in before you leave for the ship. And don't choose an itinerary with port stops that don't coincide with her schedule.

I know, isn't that ridiculous? Even if you knew nothing about cruising/embarkation, letting the baby nap before going to the pier is a no-brainer.

An all-inclusive resort? The same restrictions on not being able to use the pool and the same formal dinners.

Where? I agree with everything else you said, but AIs (like most every other land-based pool) don't care about diapers. Now, we generally won't take ours is a pool that isn't kid-friendly (ie. walk in) but that's a personal preference.

Also, I haven't been to an AI that requires (or even has) formal dining. Maybe they are out there, but I doubt they stay in business long. :D

It's probably easier with twins. There are obviously downsides to have 2 separate bodies, but generally they keep each other entertained a good part of the day. Who wouldn't want to have a full time play-pal? We don't have an older one, but I suspect they'll keep her busy too.

Of course, we have B/G twins and I understand that they tend to get along much better than twin girls or even twin boys.

Good Luck with photos! :D

LOL! Okay, good to hear. It was really rough having him as a newborn when she was 16 months (especially becuase he had severe colic), but then it got a little easier but now its gotten worse with him climbing on everything and her 2 year old attitude/tantrums. Taking them both out somewhere is almost impossible because i cant chase both kids in different directions. I cant wait until they start playing together! Thanks for answering!

If it makes you feel better, at the time my twins were born, I also had a 1 year old, 4 year old, and 6 year old. It was tough, but went by quickly, and even though I don't remember all of it (I think I blocked it out - lol), it seems like yesterday. My twins are 9, everyone is totally independent, and it's just all of the driving to activities that drives me nuts! Once they're 3+, you will be good.

All- inclusive resorts do allow babies in the pool in swim diapers. When we did the Caribbean I took my then 6month old and 13 month old in pools at the Westin Hotel in Grand Cayman and the Hyatt in St. Lucia.

So if you go to the Caribbean on a cruise- check out the area hotels. I have found them to be more than happy to have cruisers come and you rent a chair for $25 per person and can use their resort for the day.

If you do a land based vacation- just call the front desk to make sure that babies are allowed in the pool.

Archived