Mendenhall Glacier walking distance

ChelseaSailor

I didn't walk to the glacier - that would be quite a walk. It is about a 45-50 minute easy round trip walk to the falls. I just went walked down by the lake in front of the glacier, went through the visitor's center and walked part way to the falls.

d1d01731.jpg

It is not as close as it looks here, but you can get good pictures.

0d2ef466.jpg

How far do you have to walk from the Visitors Center to the Glacier? Is there a lot of elevation in the hike? What would you consider an adequate time to view the Glacier?

ChelseaSailor

I am in process of planning something similar myself, so I can’t help you if you are looking for someone who has been there (I welcome corrections of my thoughts from people who have actually hiked to the glacier), but this is what I found so far:

You can’t get to the glacier itself from the trailheads at the Visitor Center. The main problem is crossing the Nugget Falls. If you can find a way to traversing them, perhaps climb up the mountain a bit to find a fording place, or perhaps swimming around them in Mendenhall Lake, then you might be able to do it. We’ve dismissed it.

But there is another way. Get yourself to the parking lot at the end Skater’s Cabin Road (58°25’05”N 134°35’25”W), which is 4.0 miles driving distance from the Visitor Center, and do the West Glacier Trail. Some websites describe that hike as 3 to 5 hour of moderate to intermediate difficulty. As far as elevation goes, the Juneau B-2 quadrangle 7.5 min map shows the trail crossing 400 m contours.

I didn't walk to the glacier - that would be quite a walk. It is about a 45-50 minute easy round trip walk to the falls. I just went walked down by the lake in front of the glacier, went through the visitor's center and walked part way to the falls.

d1d01731.jpg

It is not as close as it looks here, but you can get good pictures.

Hmm, I wish I hit a refresh button before I posted.

'Sailor, those falls on the right in the Pitty's picture above, emptying into the lake, is what you would have traverse, and climb the steep mountains for several km. It does not look like a good option to me. :(

there is an excellent view of Mendenhall right from the visitor center, and open viewing from the side walks.

Photo Point trail offers even a more expansive look, and is an easy walk for more.

Thanks BudgetQueen

I clicked on a link you had put on another thread , that had info on the visitor center and maps. I would post the link but can't find my way back to the tread.

Thanks again it was very helpful.

ChelseaSailor

Archived