Riviera queston

hlperez

I have booked stateroom 8061, which is just behind the front elevators. When comparing the deck plans it looks like it's over or almost over the entrance to the ship on deck 5. Does anyone know if we'll be disturbed by noise when arriving in port, or maybe the "pings" from the machine? I am wondering whether to change to another stateroom (if still available).

Thanks for your help.

Hazel

I have booked stateroom 8061, which is just behind the front elevators. When comparing the deck plans it looks like it's over or almost over the entrance to the ship on deck 5. Does anyone know if we'll be disturbed by noise when arriving in port, or maybe the "pings" from the machine? I am wondering whether to change to another stateroom (if still available).

Thanks for your help.

Hazel

Not only would I NOT change my stateroom, but get ready for a lot of ENVY from your shipmates! Those cabins nearest the forward Elevators are FABULOUSLY convenient, you are going to LOVE it!

We just spent 9 days in similarly situated 11027 and I have not done so little walking since I was on an R ship! You won't hear anything from the elevators or the people out there, but you are going to love having your cabin so convenient to just about everything that you do.

Have a wonderful Cruise!

SITraveler- "Seeing In" from the elevators is an issue on the Holland America Vista class, not the Marina or Riviera:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=647465

Maybe I wasn't being very clear (or maybe it's my British English). I was worried about noise from the entrance to the ship from the gangway into the lobby on deck 5 (its almost below). Will we hear the gangway being put out on arrival at port or the "ping" when people put their cards in the machine when getting on and off the ship?

Thanks, Hazel

Maybe I wasn't being very clear (or maybe it's my British English). I was worried about noise from the entrance to the ship from the gangway into the lobby on deck 5 (its almost below). Will we hear the gangway being put out on arrival at port or the "ping" when people put their cards in the machine when getting on and off the ship?

Thanks, Hazel

Four decks above the embarkation lobby, you are not likely to hear much at all, and attaching the gangway is not a very loud procedure.

110342.jpg As I say, we were just above you and slept through it all continuously.

The security machines don't "ping" loudly enough to be heard anywhere else on the ship.

We were on the May 16th sailing in stateroom 8065, just 2 aft from your room. We never heard any noise. The gangway and concomitant security is either on level 5 or 4 depending on the port. A long way down from your room.

Your room is very convenient to the forward elevators giving you easy access to all the amenities. But then the ship isn't that big so getting to the aft portion isn't that long a walk.

One thing to note; make sure your balcony door is locked (handle down) at night otherwise you will hear some noise, ie wind or especially when the ship docks early. Seems the gasket only seals completely if the door is locked as opposed to just being closed.

enjoy

Thanks, Hazel

On the Regatta we were in the cabin right next to the entrance and the pursers desk (Deck5?) No noise at all at any time.

~Doris~

You might hear the gangway being moved over or back, but that is extremely brief -- a few bangs at the worst. As quiet as the cabins are, you will not hear the "pings" as you referred to them.

We were in 6001 on Regatta -- facing the bow -- and we enjoyed the noise of entering port, as it told us it was time to get moving! There was a lot more noise there with the winches, etc., but even that wasn't bad. In that case, we knew it was time to watch us enter port. In your case, if you do hear the gangway (it might be on the other side), it's just your signal that you are in port and it's time to see someplace new.

Archived