Cannes to Antibes

Poppet1964

I've decided to DIY when we dock at Cannes by taking the train to Antibes. I love outdoor markets and beaches and good restaurants. How far is it from the train station to the key sites of the city (walking distance?). Would I be better off taking the bus?

Any tips or recommendations? I may be going all by myself, although I am going to see if anyone from my roll call is interested... I think my daughters will still be sleeping about the time I'm on my way!

We have never used the bus to Antibes (from Cannes) but know that the #200 line of the Rapides de Cote d'Azure line does have a route. But since it goes along the coastal road you can expect the usual delays if there is traffic. The trains are quite convenient and the Antibes Station is in a good location not to far from the marina and best part of town. It will take you appproximately 30 min to walk from the tender pier to the Cannes train station and it can be a fun walk since you can route yourself through much of the best part of Cannes (until you get near the station). You should have no trouble (or concerns) about going by yourself in these two cities. Antibes has a pretty nice market (its in a covered open building not far from the main marina and within easy walking distance of the station.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We docked in Cannes last week on the Thomson Dream and took the #200 bus to and from Antibes. Took about 20 minutes each way, little traffic, very easy. Bus stop in Cannes is between City hall and small park just outside the port. Cost was one Euro per person each way and you can pay the driver directly.

Antibes is a nice place to spend the day, we walked around, shopped, had an outdoor lunch, weather was lovely,enjoy.

Poppet, After reading the prior post from Richfromhaw we would revise our recommendation and say take the #200 bus. You will save 15 - 20 min in not walking all the way to the Cannes train station and the bus fare is cheaper then then the train fare. Once you get to the bus stop you can check the schedule and if it seems to work just wait for the bus. If the schedule is not convenient you would still have the option to continue walking to the train station. For those who have never been on the regional French buses they are really nice vehicles (clean and modern) and we have always met some interesting folks while on the various buses.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you both! I should have read this closer before I added my question to another post... you answered where the train station is in Antibes... what about the bus station? Still close to market/beaches/etc?

We did this our last trip on cruise last year - took the train. The train station in each town was about a 10 to 15 minute (relatively enjoyable walk). Kind of got lost going into Antibes though.

Antibes is our favorite French Riveria/Provence town - if I could live anywhere in France it would be Antibes. There's something "real" about it. Nice daily market. Also have traveled there on bus from Nice and onto Cannes - but it was about 6 years ago on a land trip so don't remember quite the logistics. Do know that we had no long walks.

You made a great choice for an easy pleasant non-stressful DIY day from Cannes. You'll have time to check out a bit of Cannes when you get back. Didn't think much of it our first land trip - but walked the old section, had a nice late lunch in the main part and ended up with a much better impression of Cannes on our port visit.

• 2 weeks later...

An update on our trip to Antibes: We did indeed 'do it ourselves' from Cannes to Antibes. It was a great day and a great adventure! I would recommend however, that you take the train and not the bus to Antibes. We had a very unhelpful bus driver who did not give us any guidance on what stop to get off at (even though we asked multiple times) and ended up on the other side of Antibes.

Had to take the train back into Antibes anyway :p. Everything worked out fine though. Found our way into town easily, shopped, visited the market (get there before 1:00 PM), had a wonderful lunch near the market, went to the beach near town and took the train back to Cannes (leave some time, the trains were running late due to some sort of issue).

It was a wonderful day and I would highly recommend it! Remember, I'm a first time cruiser and first time to Europe and we were able to do it just fine!

Edited by Poppet1964

Just wanted to comment on the previous post that talked of a bus driver not being helpful. That is always a possiblity (that nobody will help) but it may well be that the bus driver did not speak a word of English. Sometimes folks expect that people in any country must understand some English...but it's not always true. Another possible factor in France is that some French (especially in and around Paris) will not be responsive to folks that simply ask them a question in English or start out with "do you speak English?" In France it is expected that you will start off any conversation with a greeting in French! Approach somebody with a pleasant "Bonjour monsieur" with a smile and then ask "Parlez vous Anglais?" This will often be enough to get a response (ever if its non) and often some help. It does not always work, but this simple rule has done us well as we drove all over France. The French are very proud of their beautiful language and culture and are simply looking for a little respect.

Hank

Just wanted to comment on the previous post that talked of a bus driver not being helpful. That is always a possiblity (that nobody will help) but it may well be that the bus driver did not speak a word of English. Sometimes folks expect that people in any country must understand some English...but it's not always true. Another possible factor in France is that some French (especially in and around Paris) will not be responsive to folks that simply ask them a question in English or start out with "do you speak English?" In France it is expected that you will start off any conversation with a greeting in French! Approach somebody with a pleasant "Bonjour monsieur" with a smile and then ask "Parlez vous Anglais?" This will often be enough to get a response (ever if its non) and often some help. It does not always work, but this simple rule has done us well as we drove all over France. The French are very proud of their beautiful language and culture and are simply looking for a little respect.

Hank

Agreed... we may very well have had a culture/language barrier! I speak a little (VERY LITTLE) french, but not enough to ask for a specific bus stop. The fact that he kept say 'oui,oui' just led me to believe he knew what we were asking, but he probably didn't. However, I am sure he knew we wanted to go to Antibes.

Anyway, it was a memorable experience, when I went to the close by winery to ask about getting back to Antibes they didn't speak english, but we had a fun 'conversation' about going to the train station... walking finger gestures were involved :D! Bottom line, it only made for more of an adventure!

I was however able to use my little bit of french to ask where the beach was, since I remember the french word for beach!

OH, and also, we were very spoiled in Italy, it seemed everyone spoke some english there, so France was definitely a different experience.

Edited by Poppet1964

We salute your ability to handle the set-back and turn it into an adventure. For years we have tried to explain (on these boards) that DIY does involve using some "travel sense," keeping your sense of humor, and turning set-backs into positive events. Sounds like you met the test and more! But if we had been in your situation we certainly would have tried to taste some of the wines at that winery :)

Hank

Poppet

Thanks for coming back and giving feedback. You did what I planned last year, but basically we were too lazy and just walked around

D Cannes. I ended up with some great second hand postcards from the flea market - and as an avid postcard collector I am not complaining, we also got smelly cheese which I loved. however I like to hear about 'the trip I should have made" because it goes down in my notebook for next time - and there must be a next time :)

• 2 months later...
We docked in Cannes last week on the Thomson Dream and took the #200 bus to and from Antibes. Took about 20 minutes each way, little traffic, very easy. Bus stop in Cannes is between City hall and small park just outside the port. Cost was one Euro per person each way and you can pay the driver directly.

Antibes is a nice place to spend the day, we walked around, shopped, had an outdoor lunch, weather was lovely,enjoy.

I'm looking at google maps and I am having trouble finding where the bus stop is to get to Antibes, can you point out where got on from?

We stepped off the cruise boat and vered slightly right and walked towards the town to the City hall. To the right of that was a small park. On the street separating the city hall and park was the bus stop. It's clearly marked and has a shelter with the bus line number & schedule posted, Hope this helps

• 2 years later...

Poppet or Richfromhaw,

Thanks for your tips on Antibes! We are going to try a DIY to Antibes as well, and I'm liking the cost of the bus much better since there are 5 of us. I'm feeling confident in finding the bus stop in Cannes, but can either of you give specifics on which bus stop we should exit in Antibes? We are looking to tour the fort, visit Picasso museum and stroll around the old town area.

Thanks in advance!

Poppet or Richfromhaw,

Thanks for your tips on Antibes! We are going to try a DIY to Antibes as well, and I'm liking the cost of the bus much better since there are 5 of us. I'm feeling confident in finding the bus stop in Cannes, but can either of you give specifics on which bus stop we should exit in Antibes? We are looking to tour the fort, visit Picasso museum and stroll around the old town area.

Thanks in advance!

http://www-sop.inria.fr/mascotte/adhocnow/bus200-airport-antibes.pdf

Place de Gaulle would be the best stop.