To upgrade or not!

*Libby*

Hi - am looking for some info from all you experts out there :)

We're cruising the Jade (Adriatic, Greece & Turkey) in September. We booked an inside cabin (4551) on Deck 4 and got a very nice $150 OBC from NCL at time of booking. I booked it just more than 12mths out with my local TA.

I've been watching the price of the cruise, which until recently stayed above what we payed. However it would seem prices have dropped, our inside cabins have been selling as G'tee for months, and I'm now wondering what to do. Final payment is due within the next 3 weeks and I'm not sure whether to ask my TA to call NCL and price an upgrade (am more than happy to spend a few extra ££££££'s) - or whether to just hold out till nearer sailing and see if we can grab a bargain upgrade? Not sure I've got the patience for that though! I'd be happy to bag another inside further up the ship, say on Deck 9, or even an oceanview. DH's not to keen on a balcony incase we get sandwiched inbetween rows of smokers - I may have to work on him there!

Can anyone help me out with my dilema? Is it possible to do such a thing? Looking forward to your replies :)

If you are firm on going in Sept, I would wait to see if your cruise prices go down. Cruises to Europe this summer are way underbooked and the cruiselines are drastically cutting prices at the last minute. Your cruise is still too far away to see much reduction now, but if you wait you could probably get NCL to give you an upgrade to an oceanview or even a balcony when they do eventually cut the prices.

I would keep checking daily as Mystic cruisers said the European cruises are underbooked due to high airline fares a lot of Americans are not flying to Europe. Case in point I received a special from princess yesterday that not only took 50% off of certain cruises but then reduced them again by hundreds of dollars.

Hi Mystic & Duchess, thanks both for your replies. I'm checking the price daily (if not twice :p), have earmarked a couple of cabins further up the ship, and will see how it goes over the next while. Will also let my TA know I'd be interested in an upgrade and see where that takes us. I guess it's a balancing act between waiting for the right price, but also not wanting to miss out on a better cabin. That said, we're low down & midship & I won't give that up for a cabin in a noisy location etc.

Thanks again for your help!

Hi Mystic & Duchess, thanks both for your replies. I'm checking the price daily (if not twice :p), have earmarked a couple of cabins further up the ship, and will see how it goes over the next while. Will also let my TA know I'd be interested in an upgrade and see where that takes us. I guess it's a balancing act between waiting for the right price, but also not wanting to miss out on a better cabin. That said, we're low down & midship & I won't give that up for a cabin in a noisy location etc.

Thanks again for your help!

If you decide to upgrade your cabin, confirm that you'll retain your OBC before you make the change.

If you decide to upgrade your cabin, confirm that you'll retain your OBC before you make the change.

Thanks for that tip, to be honest I probably wouldn't have thought about that! My TA's a really decent guy so I'm sure he'll do the right thing by us.

I'm wishing this year away waiting for this cruise lol!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks - just thought I'd give you a quick update.

I've made final payment, but before I did so I got my TA to phone NCL and see what we could do in terms of an upgrade. Prices still remain higher than what we've actually paid, but I did manage to get a move to an interior cabin on deck 9 (9519) for £40 total, which I thought was a great starting point - and I still retain my $150 OBC! :)

At the minute we're both more than happy with the location etc of this cabin, so I guess it's back to watching the price over the next 99 days to see if an actual upgrade can be achieved.

Thanks for all your help and advice :)

Archived