When to whale watch

VickieAnn

We are cruising mid July and are trying to decide which port would be best to go whale watching, Icy Strait Point or Juneau. There seems to be more to do in Juneau so thought we would go with Icy Strait but wanted opinions on this plan. Thoughts please, thank you.

Both are excellent, but since you already know there are more things to do in Juneau, I would choose ISP for whale watching. We went last August w/Capt. Dan from Misty Bay Lodge and had a fantastic excursion. We were so lucky - saw lots of breaching (even from the tenders from the ship to the port!) and bubblenet feeding. Wonderful hours on the water w/Capt. Dan - didn't want it to be over! Would highly recommend - small, 6 passenger boat, great interior and exterior viewing areas, and just some really great people to deal with. Dan's wife Hope was a joy to deal with on the phone and via email while booking. I also did a bear watch with them after the whale watch, and again, jackpot! Saw one brown bear feeding on fat salmon in the stream for about 45 minutes, then another huge old brown bear on the hillside eating his way thru a berry patch. Again, we watched him for about 45 minutes, and it was just awesome. I usually go to AK in late May/early June (tho once in late Sept. as well), but last year, went specifically in August to see bears. I was not disappointed!

Enjoy your cruise, hope you have a successful whale watch! Tell Capt. Dan that Lynda, Allie and Bill said "Hey!":p

We are cruising mid July and are trying to decide which port would be best to go whale watching, Icy Strait Point or Juneau. There seems to be more to do in Juneau so thought we would go with Icy Strait but wanted opinions on this plan. Thoughts please, thank you.

We did the best whale watching in Vancouver on a day trip.

Thanks for your replies. I think ISP will work well. I am trying to get everything booked before we get there and I tend to book with independent companies instead of through the ship. :)

Archived