Formal Night/dinner ?

timsgrl

My husband and I will be going on a Carnival cruise (Destiny) in a few days and have some last minute questions. What exactly is involved in formal night (dinner, dancing, etc.)? Also can we change dinner times while on the cruise? Thanks in advance for your help!

You may change dinner time by seeing the maitre d' in one of the dining rooms before dinner the first day, but whatever you select will be your dinner time for the week. You cannot change from day to day. If you want to eat on your own schedule, you can use the buffet or try to get a reservation in the specialty restaurant on board.

Formal night features a fine dining menu (lobster, filet mignon, etc.) and a "formal" dress code in the dining room, which is not strictly enforced. We were on the Glory last month and saw only 30-40% of the men in the stated formal dress of tuxedo or dark business suit. The rest were in lighter suits, sports jackets with or without neckties, or some in dress shirts, with or without ties. Even the dress uniforms for the dining room staff are not as formal as on other cruise lines. More women passengers than men tend to go "formal." On the first formal night there will be a captain's cocktail party one hour before dinner. Dancing and entertainment is the same as any other night. There is no requirement to stay in "formal" wear for the balance of the evening

The formal night dinner features lobster tail and/or prime rib, as well as other entrees. Filet mignon is on the menu another night.

Dress code - I have observed that MOST folks on formal night ahere to the dress code in the dining room, and I would say that it would be more like 75% of male diners are wearing either suits (some tux), or at the very least a jacket and tie.

Also - in the Capers on ONE cruise - the announcement was: "The captain suggests that guests remain in formal dress for the entire evening." I had never seen that in print before, nor since.;)

The formal night dinner features lobster tail and/or prime rib, as well as other entrees. Filet mignon is on the menu another night.

Also - in the Capers on ONE cruise - the announcement was: "The captain suggests that guests remain in formal dress for the entire evening." I had never seen that in print before, nor since.;)

I have seen this 'dress code' in print several times. Alas, 'formal night' does not always promise filet or lobster. That being said it does normally promise an enjoyable atmosphere. john

I was VERY disappointer to read that only 30-40% of the men respected attire recommendations for formal night on the Glory. I hope Cotton is correct.

I do know that in my personal experience on many lines, there are more people attired like they are at MacDonalds on Carnival than on any other other line. This is one of the things that turns me off about this line.

I live in FL. I see enough shorts and flip flops here to last me a lifetime.

I think American society as a whole is just getting lazier and sloppier. It is dismaying.

Archived