What to do in Ketchikan?

Guest enjoycruises

Guest enjoycruises

Hubby was thinking about taking a tour called "Lighthouse, Totm and Eagles Excursion". Has anyone ever done this? The cost from RCI and an independent tour company was $85pp. What do u think? He has tennis elbow and my son broke his shoulder a year and a half ago so canoeing is out for us.

Go to Southeast Aviation. My wife and daughters have booked with him on Aug. 10th to go on a floatplane to Misty Fjords. He is very nice and very helpful. He helped me get a boat to go fishing on all day. His infomation is:

Jim Kosmos, Co-Ownerd

Southeast Aviation, LLC

PO Box 5797

Ketchikan, AK 99901

Toll free: 888 Fly Misty (888.359.6478)

Fax: 907.225.2902

He was great for us. He is a tour provider I would HIGHLY recommend. Please let him know that Louis gave you the recommendation.

Not to offend anyone or to be flamed. I find it interesting that tours are recommended before they have even been taken??

I have gone with Southeast Aviation and several trips with them when they were another company. They run excellent tours, but so do other venders I have gone with Island Wings and Carlin Air. So with a short port time which most have in Ketchikan, book who fits your timeframe best. It is an excellent top notch tour. As for the city bus- I think the above poster is referring to Saxman Village? You used to be able to get a guide from the gift shop, which is my recommendation here since it isn't self guided. The commentaries really add to this attraction.

Not to offend anyone or to be flamed. I find it interesting that tours are recommended before they have even been taken??

Many people rely on the recommendation of others whose opinion they value(friend, family member etc) for tour recommendations just as many of us also do when choosing restaurants, hotels, etc. -- so why not tours?? This is a message board after all and just about everything posted re any tour, ship etc. should be considered in light of the fact that is IS after all only a recommendation or a "negative" based on one person's experience or, as I said, recommendations of others.. I have not been to Copenhagen but based on recommendation of son who has visited several times and a friend from Copenhagen I know exactly what hotel I will stay at and would recommend to others with that caveat..... same goes here..

Caroline, Very well said. I was reading a thread the other day from about a year ago. It was a review. It was a very good review but in it she said she had received false information on the CC board. Actually, after she had done the tour that she chose to do, her opinion was different from some of the other posters. We all need to remember that these are only opinions and everybody has one. :)

Exactly AND what is right for one is not going to be appealing to another.. after 8 years on these messag boards it constantly surprises me how many people make very expensive vacation choices based on these "recommendations"... it's what is appealing to you and works for your lifestyle, not what someone else "tells you" is better!

We have the option of flying to Misty Fiords for 20 minutes and taking a boat out

or

Flying in with a 10 minute stop and flying out. Total flying time 60 minutes.

Which would you recommend?

Buyer beware. How do you know that the excursions sold by the cruise ships are that great? They don't guarantee that they are good. My wife and I have talked with each of the private sellers of each of the excursions. From this and the recommendations on cruisecritics, we chose what we thought we the best excursions. Once we come back on Aug. 12th, we will know for sure.

Archived