Epic - Rome to Rome Review (Is Rome the Red-Headed Stepchild?)

jaegan2

Used AirBerlin to Rome leaving from JFK. Convinced hubby at last minute to use Supertrans shuttle instead of driving and that was a good choice since traffic was terrible on the way. Pick up and drop off worked out fine (although this company has had some negative reviews). Supertrans did leave without a pick up from New York but they waited until 9:00 p.m. (last pick up time), they checked and there were no flight delays and no call from the people who I hope were not stranded. So keep that in mind.

We stayed a few nights in Rome prior to cruise - Downtown Accomodations - a B&B near the Forum. Area worked out well. Plenty of restaurants and stores, more importantly plenty of wine. Enjoyed sitting by a neighborhood fountain, bottle of wine from nearby store (they open and provide plastic cups) as well as roasted chicken flavored potatoe chips (you have to try them). We did get ripped off by a cab driver after taking the bus from the airport. Probably worth the cab fare of $40.00 and save the aggravation. Booked a Vatican garden tour which worked out great since we avoided hugh lines (we walked right on in). Vatican very impressive and nice lunch in their center courtyard area. Coliseum and Forum right down the street and managed to get to Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps.

For transport to port from Rome used Pleasant Travel with 15 others. Very easy and embarkment was very fast. Since many on ship were touring Rome that day the ship was relatively quiet. BUT be forewarned - if you embark from Rome you will have very little services available to you when the majority gets off in Barcelona. Did'nt mind so much the hassle in the morning with everybody leaving but we ended up with very limited breakfast (actually only an Express breakfast at O'Sheehans by the time we left the ship - could not even go to buffet) but when we got back on board everything was closed to us - muster drills. We had a long day and wanted a cocktail by the pool - we were with with a couple from cruise critic (Toni & Mike who were our besties for the week - they came to the port with us from Rome and were with us on an excursion to Florence the next day - we ran into them everywhere even though there were 4000 people aboard - we enjoyed many laughs, drinks and meals - fingers crossed that we can get together in the future for another vacation). We only got service in Barcelona (and this included no food) after getting an officer to insist that the bar serve us. The officer actually seemed a little put off that the staff was refusing. We had stickers identifying us as Rome but they did'nt do anything. Also problems when leaving - we had an early flight and transport (again Pleasant Travel) and disembarked with our luggage. My husband managed to get off but I got trapped on the elevator. Apparently only starboard goes to ramps (floor 4) that morning. I was also stopped by staff who told me I could not get off with my luggage. We all managed but fellow cruise critic people (Nancy etc.) had a lot of trouble with the kids not being able to get off.

We did enjoy the ports although there is a lot of travel to get to popular destinations. We were glad to have joined roll calls because we ended up meeting some very nice people. Hello to UKJay and Debbie; Brandy and her gang who we joined on excusions - Mindie & Mike from transport. Special hello to another very nice couple Gary and Stef who were with us on an Italy excusion, drinks at O'Sheehans and table mates at dinner at Taste. Everybody was very interesting and I am especially glad to have come away with a newfound knowledge about jewelry (wink). Thanks again Gary and Stef - hope to keep in touch if you ever stop going on cruises.

I will say I thought the food was very good - especially the buffet which my husband generally avoids. Great selections and fresh. Try the fruit soups and Indian station.

We thought the staff was very good (other that middle management). Had some issues with onboard credit - my TA is adamant they we were lied to. Also photos apparently are destroyed each week when Barcelona boards - so we only purchased 2. The clerk wanted us to use a special 3 for BUT can't do when they destroy the photos and don't know why he kept insisting when we only had limited to choose from. Also many were wrong people so their face recognition sticks.

Enjoyed the martini tasting (5 for $15.00 - can't beat that) and the ice bar (again Fun with the aussies Mike and Toni).

I am usually a cruise cheerleader but I really did'nt like Norwegian Epic (sorry to their fans). I knew ahead of time about the balcony set up but it was a pain in the butt to climb over each with that bed set up. (I tried to get the bed by the window but TA did'nt do). I really did not mind the bathroom set up - just keep the lock on your cabin door.

Did enjoy Europe and especially the really great people we met from cruise critic. The food and drink were good - just a lot of hiccups with the Rome embark that hopefully Norwegian will work on.

P.S. Did take a look at interior rooms when leaving and really - save a few bucks if you really don't need a balcony - they looked pretty roomy for interiors.

I was wondering what other Rome-Rome cruisers thought about the whole thing. We are so glad we got to spend 5 days pre-cruise in Rome, was well worth it, but did feel like 2nd class citizens several times on board. When we got back on after seeing some of Barcelona there was a staff member ushering (herding) people into a line to get a pic taken. We always skip this anyway, but esp. since we were just trying to get back to our room and go to the pool, and he was very insistent that we AHD to get in the line. We had the stickers that they gave us to show that we were Rome cruisers, not Barcelona, and when I showed it to him he looked at me and said, "I have NO idea what that is, but ok."

If you are going to give out the stickers and tell people to use them, then you should advise all staff (esp. the ones greeting passengers) what they are.

We were also a little irked that on Barcelona day things were closed during the drill and the services were open based on a typical embarkation day and not a port day. It wasn't a huge deal, but again made us feel a bit second-rate. Also noticed that internet is turned off most of the day so if you plan on paying the (ridiculous, IMO) fee you won't get to use it on that day. We didn't find the service to be as excellent as we would have hoped so by this day we were kind of over it and it got old to be treated differently.

Still, seeing Rome on our own for the 5 days prior was well worth the inconvenience.

Thank you for the review.

I hope NCL fixes these problems/glitches soon. A couple of other members have also mentioned the same problems regarding the ship services in Barcelona for the cruisers who board in Rome.

I really hope they resolve the Rome debarkation issue also, because we will have two small kids with us and my in-laws. I don't want to end our cruise by arguing with cruise employees regarding us debarking in Rome, especially since we plan to take our luggage off with us.

This brings up a question, if we leave our luggage outside our room the night before, do you think it will be available if we debark as the first group and pick up our luggage outside? We have car service for 7:30 AM for a flight at 11:30 AM.

I really hope they resolve the pictures issue also, we were looking forward to getting a CD for the whole cruise, but not if they keep wiping out their database of pictures in Barcelona. It doesn't help the cruisers who get on and off in Rome.

7:30 a.m. is a little early even for first off - I would suggest that if you decide to take down your own luggage that you have someone go with just the kids to disembark (with no luggage) and then you take luggage down and meet up with them (even if 2 trips). We had a 11:40 a.m. flight and had plenty of time using an 8:00 a.m. transfer - even with some delay in getting going we were at the airport before 9:00 a.m.. Just remember to listen or check before time which elevators to use when you have luggage. With Rome there are not so many people disembaring at one time (like Barcelona) so I think either way (leaving luggage for port pick up or taking it yourself) would work.

I always find it funny how some attitudes change from embark to disembark. I guess everybody is a little cranky (crew and passengers).

I am going on the same cruise on August 8th and was hoping you caould tell me if the packaged food (cereal, cream cheese, peanut butter, etc) were American brands or European (or American Brands in European packaging). I need to know for purposes of religious dietary restrictions (i.e. Kosher)

Archived