Upgrading but booked through a TA

Yes, the upgrade fairy (who is making fewer and fewer appearances these days) can visit you whether you booked through a TA or not. Generally, RCI will notify the TA, who will then notify you. However, sometimes people are upgraded without notification (we didn't find out until we were on the ship and our key didn't work in the door). You can look at your reservation under "my cruises" to see if the cabin # changes

I'm not expecting an upgrade, but I would like to know the "rules." If I book with a TA for a specific inside room, can/will the RCCL fairy god mother still do a surprise upgrade?

Can she? Yes

Will she? Highly unlikely, and absolutely NO WAY to predict

The rules? The rules say that cabins available for upgrade will be assigned in descending order to C&A members with the most points.

The reality? UG's appear to be randomly and rarely assigned. Ships sail at or near capacity most weeks so upgrades are rare. There are high level C&A members who have never had an UG, yet numerous reports of first time cruisers getting a random UG. Still rare though, so don't count on it.

Bottom line? Pretend they don't exist, and if you miraculously get one, consider it your lucky day. :)

Yup...not planning on it at all, and I like the location of my inside cabin so all is good. I have never been willing to pay for the "luxury" of having one, but I did spend a little bit hanging out on my friend's balcony to check it out. It was ok, but I didn't think it was worth the price especially since I prefer the pool deck. I did like the extra sq footage though. Maybe one day, I'll pay for an outside view, but those rooms tend to be the same size as the inside cabins.

Yup...not planning on it at all, and I like the location of my inside cabin so all is good. I have never been willing to pay for the "luxury" of having one, but I did spend a little bit hanging out on my friend's balcony to check it out. It was ok, but I didn't think it was worth the price especially since I prefer the pool deck. I did like the extra sq footage though. Maybe one day, I'll pay for an outside view, but those rooms tend to be the same size as the inside cabins.

As a C & A member, just make sure your "upgrade preferences" are up to date on your profile. And yes - it does happen from time to time (it has happened to us twice - both through our TA). So whether through a TA or not, you will be notified. Also ask at check in - they occasionally also do "on the spot" upgrades.

As a C & A member, just make sure your "upgrade preferences" are up to date on your profile. And yes - it does happen from time to time (it has happened to us twice - both through our TA). So whether through a TA or not, you will be notified. Also ask at check in - they occasionally also do "on the spot" upgrades.

Thank you! I actually found this the other day under My Cruises so that is what made me think to ask. :) Congrats on the two upgrades.

Sometimes you can be your on upgrade fairy for a price. Watch for price drops and call to see if you can upgrade on the cheap. This is more likely than just a random upgrade and it is something you can make happen occasionally. Good luck.

Sometimes you can be your on upgrade fairy for a price. Watch for price drops and call to see if you can upgrade on the cheap. This is more likely than just a random upgrade and it is something you can make happen occasionally. Good luck.

I check the prices every few days. So far it is several hundred dollars more for the same category than what we paid. Balcony, and outside cabins that will hold 3 people are the same price right now.

Archived