Please critique my choice of excursions

kaswife

Hi CC'ers:

I need your Alaska excursion expertise. We are a multi-generational family of 5, all first-time cruisers, booked on the HAL Volendam, 7-Day Inside Passage, departing Vancouver Wednesday, August 15. I haven't booked any excursions yet but here's what we are thinking (all to be booked through HAL). My husband is 41 and I am 38. We will register our daughter, 3, for Club HAL, plus my parents are booked on the cruise too, so she can spend time with the grandparents while my husband and are I are off the ship. Please let me know your thoughts especially if you favor one departure time over another.

JUNEAU - Friday, 8/17, 1:45 or 2:45 pm - Dog sledding on the Mendenhall Glacier by helicopter. From what I understand this is the most cancelled excursion, due to weather, so hopefully if that happens we might still have opportunity to do a dog sledding excursion out of the next port, Skagway.

SKAGWAY - Saturday, 8/18 8:15 am or 12:45 pm - White Pass Summit Scenic Railroad. We are considering bringing our daughter (possibly the grandparents too if we can convince them to leave the ship) on this excursion since it is a manageable 3.5 hours and she loves trains.

KETCHIKAN - Monday, 8/20 Neets Bay Bear Watch by Floatplane, 2:00 pm only. Other, less expensive excursions we considered were a visit to the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary or a kayak adventure with Southeast Sea Kayaks.

Thanks for your valued input!

I did the Neets Bay Bear Excursion thru HAL last August on the 14 day Amsterdam itinerary. OMG - was one of the highlights of my trip! Loved, loved, loved it! Being that close to all those bears was an amazing experience! (and no, didn't bother me one bit that they were all black bears, w/no browns - I would see browns later in my trip on a bear search in ISP). The flight over to Neets is like an excursion in itself - amazing view of the mountains, waterfalls and thru Misty Fiords. Highly recommend!

@AIP: Thanks! We are treating this as a "once-in-a-lifetime" trip so your positive review helps validate the (gulp) expense!

We did our once in a lifetime trip in 2009. Took the kids, did everything we could, spent lots of money.

Loved it so much we're now doing our twice in a lifetime trip just 3 years later! :)

You have a nice variety of tours. If you decide not to take your daughter on the train, I recommend the longer train/bus combo trip all the way to Carcross. Fabulous scenery!!!!! I booked with a private vendor, Chilkoot, mainly because their buses are much smaller and you get to stop more often on the bus portion than you would on a large cruise ship tour bus. If you do want to take your daughter on the shorter summit tour, I still suggest going on the combo trip.....train in one direction and bus in the other. It will give your daughter more variety and you will get to make some stops on the bus portion and get off and let her run around a bit. Chilkoot does a combo trip for the shorter tour. I am not sure what the cruiseship offers.

http://www.chilkootcharters.com/summitrail.htm

For Juneau, it is possible if the dog sledding is cancelled, they might offer you just a helicopter tour without the dog sledding. Be prepared if you are willing to take this option. If not, make sure to have back up plans. The trip out to Mendenhall, its visitor center and the hiking trails are all well worth the time and effort. Whale watching is another well liked activity out of Juneau.

Enjoy your cruise, whatever you do. You definitely chose an outstanding itinerary if scenery is a priority. From what you have said, it doesn't sound like your parents are into going off the ship. This itinerary will be perfect for them with all the scenic sailing that they can view right from the comfort of the ship.

We did our once in a lifetime trip in 2009. Took the kids, did everything we could, spent lots of money.

Loved it so much we're now doing our twice in a lifetime trip just 3 years later! :)

We too made it back to Alaska last year after our once in a lifetime trip in 2008. I would go every year if I could. There are several on this forum who do just that. How lucky they are!!!

You have a nice variety of tours. If you decide not to take your daughter on the train, I recommend the longer train/bus combo trip all the way to Carcross. Fabulous scenery!!!!! I booked with a private vendor, Chilkoot, mainly because their buses are much smaller and you get to stop more often on the bus portion than you would on a large cruise ship tour bus. If you do want to take your daughter on the shorter summit tour, I still suggest going on the combo trip.....train in one direction and bus in the other. It will give your daughter more variety and you will get to make some stops on the bus portion and get off and let her run around a bit. Chilkoot does a combo trip for the shorter tour. I am not sure what the cruiseship offers.

For Juneau, it is possible if the dog sledding is cancelled, they might offer you just a helicopter tour without the dog sledding. Be prepared if you are willing to take this option. If not, make sure to have back up plans. The trip out to Mendenhall, its visitor center and the hiking trails are all well worth the time and effort. Whale watching is another well liked activity out of Juneau.

Enjoy your cruise, whatever you do. You definitely chose an outstanding itinerary if scenery is a priority. From what you have said, it doesn't sound like your parents are into going off the ship. This itinerary will be perfect for them with all the scenic sailing that they can view right from the comfort of the ship.

Thanks! Do you recall the approximate cost pp for the shorter train/bus tour with Chilkoot?

Our back up plans for Juneau in case of cancellation are to try to do dog sledding in Skagway.

Kaswife (& all)

I can't critique your choices because I've done exactly none of them. It seems you are a wildlife/mammal lover and they all sound great. I've been reading reviews and comments extensively and if you also like waterbound mammals, I've read great things about whale watching in Juneau. I'm posting because I have a similar question for the crew on this site.

This my first trip to Alaska and also my first cruise since 1978...prison sentence and all....jk...really.

I'm also looking at this as a bucket list trip and from what I've read, I may have to add Alaska 2 to the list. To the point though, we've cruising the NCL Jewel on 7/14 to Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway, with somewhat limited time in each port (7-3, 7-1:30, 7-5). We were looking to experience Alaska by land, sea and air. Our tentative choices of excursions are:

Ketchikan - Float plane over Misty Fjords

Juneau - Group canoe to Mendenhall glacier and if time allows the Roberts Tram

Skagway - White Pass Train up & bike ride down

Much agonizing over other options like the boat ride to Misty Fjords, Whale Watching in Juneau, Float plan to Glacier Bay in Skagway.

If anyone has experiences with any of the above, or others options they believe rate better, your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Also (and I hope I'm not asking too much), the catamaran up Roberts Passage to Tracy Arm sounds stunning. But, the ship traces the same route, and I read the chances of actually seeing one or both of the Sawyer glaciers via cruise shipis hit or miss.. and not necessarily based on when you go. Any clues out there on whether you would spend the $ on that excursion that sounds so similar?

Finally, the cruise also passes Auke Bay where I believe the whale watching in Juneau occurs. Would anyone have experience on whether you 'normally' see whales there?

I appreciate any comments, advice etc.

Thanks All

We did our once in a lifetime trip seven years ago, and are returning this year for the third time. The train in Skagway was wonderful, however our son-in law and 4yr.old grandson slept through the entire trip. It was an expensive nap. The Misty Fjords float plane was a highlight - we took the excursion with the plane to the fjords and the boat returning. Mary

I do hope your parents get off the ship and on some tours. They aren't even getting half a trip if they don't. :)

I suggest you look at other "plans" in Juneau to occupy your time. There is plenty available, and you may not want to waste the day doing "nothing"??

IF you are canceled on the Juneau flight, immediately call TEMSCO direct and inquire IF they have any space- problem is, they are the only vendor, and it's not surprising they frequently sell out, so be prepared for that. As mentioned determine, ahead of time, IF you would go out on a regular glacier helicopter landing- if offered.

I have been to Neets twice. A "negative", now compared to my first trip, is the viewing time is less, and the tours, more tightly scheduled. Traitor's is a better option with an independent as you have much more time. I don't recommend the Rainforrest Sanctuary, high costs and low sighting stats.

Thanks! Do you recall the approximate cost pp for the shorter train/bus tour with Chilkoot?

Our back up plans for Juneau in case of cancellation are to try to do dog sledding in Skagway.

I am sorry, I do not know the current prices and Chilkoot does not post their prices. Click on the "contact us" link at the top of their webpage and email them. They will get with you.

By back-up plans, I mean I would think you would want to have some idea of what else you can do in Juneau while you are there if your dog sledding gets cancelled. It would be a shame not to see/do anything else and just head back to the ship or just go shopping. (IMHO) As I mentioned, a trip over to Mendenhall Glacier by shuttle would be one option. A whale watch would be another great choice. You are in Alaska and are spending a lot of money to see it. You might as well make the most of it if you can. Have some phone numbers programmed into your cell phones so you can be quick and line up other choices. That would be my recommendation.

With your priority of dog sledding, you might not be able to book the train in Skagway ahead of time. (Unless timing allows you to do both, which is possible) Even Holland America has a stricter cancellation policy now for their pre-booked excursions. Last year I believe it was 3 days. Check on their current policy to be sure. If that is the case, you would not be able to book the train until you completed your dog sledding in Juneau. By then you don't know for sure if you would find availability, especially on the combo trips.

In researching the bus/train option, I emailed Chilkoot, and here's what they sent me:

White Pass Summit Bus & Rail Excursion (lunch is not included with this

excursion)

Duration: 3.5 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM & 12:00PM (Train first)

Departure: 8:30AM & 1:00PM (Bus first)

Cost: $123.00 Adult $73.00 Child (12 & Under)

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser & return to Skagway

Hope this helps!

We just got back, so I can tell you everything you're looking at is wonderful!

Here's what we did:

Ketchikan: We had booked a Misty Fjords seaplane at 8 am, with plans to then take the bus over to Totem Bight Park in the afternoon. Unfortunately it was rainy & foggy, so our flight was cancelled and our tour operator made no attempt to rebook us for later. So I went inside the tourist building (the green one by the large "thermometer" that shows annual rainfall) and found another company that took us up 2 hours later. It was a great flight, beautiful scenery, but we got back without enough time for the park.

Skagway: White Pass railroad. We were not in Skagway long enough to go all the way to Carcross. We used Chilkoot Charters and took the bus up and train back down. I can highly recommend them - the smaller bus is more intimate and gives you more attention from your guide, and the bus makes a couple of "photo op" stops. Then the train coming back was wonderful! Just make sure if you want to do this that everyone has a passport - you will be crossing into British Columbia and going thru US Border Control. Once you get to the train, you can actually stamp your passport (which we did).

Juneau: We pre-booked Temsco Helicopters directly (not thru the cruise ship - same trip, but cheaper) and flew onto the Mendenhall Glacier. Definitely the highlight of the trip for my mother. I would not recommend taking the city bus out there, because it only takes you to the very base and you'll end up looking up watching where the helicopters are going. One of the guys on our ship was regretting that he chose to do that. He said you really didn't get a sense of the majesty of it, didn't get a chance to really walk on the ice, etc.

Icy Straight Point/Hoonah: We went whale watching with Misty Bay Lodge. Captain Dan is wonderful. Only 1 cruise ship a day is allowed there as it's small, and some of the people took a wildlife tour and got to see bears, eagles, etc.

Whatever your priority is, you'll find lots of options!

We just got back, so I can tell you everything you're looking at is wonderful!

Here's what we did:

Ketchikan: We had booked a Misty Fjords seaplane at 8 am, with plans to then take the bus over to Totem Bight Park in the afternoon. Unfortunately it was rainy & foggy, so our flight was cancelled and our tour operator made no attempt to rebook us for later. So I went inside the tourist building (the green one by the large "thermometer" that shows annual rainfall) and found another company that took us up 2 hours later. It was a great flight, beautiful scenery, but we got back without enough time for the park.

Skagway: White Pass railroad. We were not in Skagway long enough to go all the way to Carcross. We used Chilkoot Charters and took the bus up and train back down. I can highly recommend them - the smaller bus is more intimate and gives you more attention from your guide, and the bus makes a couple of "photo op" stops. Then the train coming back was wonderful! Just make sure if you want to do this that everyone has a passport - you will be crossing into British Columbia and going thru US Border Control. Once you get to the train, you can actually stamp your passport (which we did).

Juneau: We pre-booked Temsco Helicopters directly (not thru the cruise ship - same trip, but cheaper) and flew onto the Mendenhall Glacier. Definitely the highlight of the trip for my mother. I would not recommend taking the city bus out there, because it only takes you to the very base and you'll end up looking up watching where the helicopters are going. One of the guys on our ship was regretting that he chose to do that. He said you really didn't get a sense of the majesty of it, didn't get a chance to really walk on the ice, etc.

Icy Straight Point/Hoonah: We went whale watching with Misty Bay Lodge. Captain Dan is wonderful. Only 1 cruise ship a day is allowed there as it's small, and some of the people took a wildlife tour and got to see bears, eagles, etc.

Whatever your priority is, you'll find lots of options!

Thank you so much all for the input and info! I have not booked yet through the ship so I will be calling Temsco, Chilkoot Charters and Island Wings directly to inquire and will post an update. Of course if anything gets cancelled we will be as adventurous as possible and seek out sightseeing alternatives. I am certainly not missing Mendenhall so if we dont see it by air/dog sled I will see it by bus, tram or foot or a combination thereof! Love the advice and tips, please keep it coming. We are beyond excited for this trip!

I do hope your parents get off the ship and on some tours. They aren't even getting half a trip if they don't. :)

I suggest you look at other "plans" in Juneau to occupy your time. There is plenty available, and you may not want to waste the day doing "nothing"??

IF you are canceled on the Juneau flight, immediately call TEMSCO direct and inquire IF they have any space- problem is, they are the only vendor, and it's not surprising they frequently sell out, so be prepared for that. As mentioned determine, ahead of time, IF you would go out on a regular glacier helicopter landing- if offered.

I have been to Neets twice. A "negative", now compared to my first trip, is the viewing time is less, and the tours, more tightly scheduled. Traitor's is a better option with an independent as you have much more time. I don't recommend the Rainforrest Sanctuary, high costs and low sighting stats.

Budget Queen, I hope you are right. My father, who loves being on the water, has an extreme fear of flying and great heights so will not be taking any helicopter/flightseeing trips. But I am sure I can convince him to do some hikes, a train ride, or historical tour as he is quite active and social. My stepmother is more solitary, less active but will enjoy easy walking tours and shopping on her own. She has visited Alaska before (albeit not via cruiseship) so is a bit jaded. They are reviewing their choices now but my husband and I are not waiting for them to dictate our itinerary. If they choose to join us, great!

In researching the bus/train option, I emailed Chilkoot, and here's what they sent me:

White Pass Summit Bus & Rail Excursion (lunch is not included with this

excursion)

Duration: 3.5 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM & 12:00PM (Train first)

Departure: 8:30AM & 1:00PM (Bus first)

Cost: $123.00 Adult $73.00 Child (12 & Under)

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser & return to Skagway

Hope this helps!

This is very helpful, THANK YOU!

I would not recommend taking the city bus out there, because it only takes you to the very base and you'll end up looking up watching where the helicopters are going. One of the guys on our ship was regretting that he chose to do that. He said you really didn't get a sense of the majesty of it, didn't get a chance to really walk on the ice, etc.

I wouldn't recommend the city bus to Mendenhall, because of all the stops and because it drops you off about a mile from Mendenhall. However, there is a shuttle you can take that delivers you right to the park.

I LOVED our time at Mendenhall. The visitor center is worth the trip out. (at least for me it was). We took several trails and would have taken more trails, but my DH was getting a bit tired after an already long day. Everyone is different, and I understand that. However, I am one who would disagree with the guy on your ship. The view from the air will be different experience, but it is still well worth the trip out there. IMHO.

My once in a lifetime trip in 2009 was just the start. In 3 weeks I go back for trip #4, just can not get enough. In Ketchikan I went flightseeing to Misty Fiords with Island Wings, great trip, have been to Tracey Arm on the add on excursion off the ship, whale watching with both Harv & Marv, & Orca Enterprises in Juneau, & in Skagway have taken the train to the summit, & also rented a car & drove to Emerald Lake. Would do any of these excursions again, as I want to be out viewing wildlife & scenery as opposed to shopping or spas. Have back up plans & phone numbers ready if any of your tours get cancelled.

Booked the White Pass bus/train trip with Chilkoot and bearwatch in Traitor's Cove with Island Wings. That takes care of the excursions! I'll be sure to post a post-trip report. Thanks All!

Booked the White Pass bus/train trip with Chilkoot and bearwatch in Traitor's Cove with Island Wings. That takes care of the excursions! I'll be sure to post a post-trip report. Thanks All!

Thank you for the update. We will look forward to hearing all about your trip upon your return.

Archived