Alaska Excursions for 10 & 12 year old boys

juliejoe

We will be taking our 10 & 12 year old grandsons to Alaska next year. Having been twice, we love it. We want them to have special memories of going to Alaska with their Nina and Popa, so we're leaving their mom and dad at home.

This trip will be all about them and what they will enjoy. They may not have the same appreciation for the beauty, so we'll probably need to wow them in other ways. What excursions do you recommend, or have taken your kids on that were a big hit? Floatplanes and helicopters are probably not an option.

We'll be in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway and Victoria.

All suggestions appreciated!

Julie

In Ketchikan you may want to take them to the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show. It's an open air show located near the cruise ship docks that offers chopping, sawing, log rolling, speed climbing etc. Huge amount of cheering and action that boys this age would enjoy. Here is a link to their website.

http://www.lumberjacksports.com

Also located near the cruiseship docks is the Deer Mountain Tribal Hatchery and Eagle center. You can view Eagles up close. They raise salmon and trout there. During Salmon run season you can see Salmon ascending the rapids. For a free brochure call toll free 1-800-252-5158

They may enjoy the "Duck Tours" http://www.akduck.com

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

We are taking our 12 year old grandson to Alaska in June of this year.

We are going whale watching with Cap't. Larry in Juneau and on a floatplane trip to Misty Fjords from Ketchikan.

Since we haven't been yet, I can't tell you how he liked them, but I am sure we all will!

Although, the are not going to Alaska with us, I thought about excursions they also might enjoy

In Juneau I would agree to Whale Watching. We also have Capt Larry booked and is tour is about The adult is $110 and the kids are $82.

http://www.orcaenterprises.com/1-schedule.htm

They also have the Mt. Roberts Tram in Juneau up the mountian they might enjoy. Skip it if it's a foggy day. There is also gold panning and the Mendenhall Glacier.

In Skagway there is gold panning, dog mushing (non-glacier, on a wheeled sled) and the WHite pass train, but bring along the Game Boys toys to prevent the "I'm board" whines! Scenery just isn't their thing!

In Ketchikan, agree with the lumberjack show, see the totem poles at the park. We went on the "duck tour" in Boston, MA and one of my son's got to "drive" the boat! They might really enjoy that.

We are not going to Victoria, We are doing the Anan Bear Observatory in Wrangell. The Victoria excursions on the cruise sites show a Orac Whale and Wildlife excursion Jet Boat Tour. Boys LOVE to go in fast boats! (even the BIG BOYS do too!)

I don't know what cruise line you are going on, but most have a Kids program on board. Get them involved in that and they will also have fun!

Have fun on your cruise!

Jacquelyn :D

I think it's most important to involve them in the choice of tours rather than picking it for them. They may surprise you. :) Offer a selection and let them do a little research and choose? My son went with me on many Alaska tours, sometimes the only kid but they were his choices that made the difference. :)

Archived