Will We Regret Not Doing Capt. Larry Tour?

Sailme2heaven

We are going to be in Juneau on Sept.20 from 7:00am to 10:00pm. We have scheduled to do the Taku Glacier Lodge Flight and Feast, leaving at 8:30am. ,lasting until 12:00. I wanted to leave time to have lunch, see Mendenhall Glacier, the tram, and explore town. I was afraid with all of that to do if we did a whale watching tour that we wouldn't get to see all of those things. Wasn't sure what time it would be getting dark, and what time frame these things would all fit in. We have been on a whale watching tour on the Oregon Coast. Would the Juneau tour be completly different? Would we have time for a tour with Capt. Larry? Will we regret it if we don't?:confused:

Lots of questions, can anyone help?:D

It depends on what you hope to see on your whale watching. My husband was thrilled. I was less than thrilled. Once you see one humped back slightly out of the water and a fluke hit the water you've seen them all as far as I'm concerned. But, he has the best smoked salmon snacks in the world! I was hoping for a breach like you see in that insurance company ad. No such luck charlie, a bent back and a fluke is all you get. :confused:

Dusk will be by 7pm. Your lunch is included at Taku Lodge isn't it??? Anyway- only you can decide on your interests. Whale watching is a top priority for me. AND you will have a good view of Mendenhall via your shuttle if all you need is a look? Decide on the tram once there, if it fits in your time. You could do your list if you choose?

With what 8 meals a day on board and salmon available every nite by request, I would never skip a tour I wanted to take to avoid missing a meal. And if the lodge trip is a feast, how could you eat again for lunch? To each their own, thats why we all cruise, right!! Have a good time.

If you don't go whalewatching, you will never see more than a humped back, but if you do, who knows.

Well I was mistaken. Yes, lunch is included in the Taku flight. Thats's one of the reasons to go - what a feast!!!! Just worried if we can fit in going to Mendaenahll, tram , and seeing little of town before a 3:00 whale watching tour? Could we see town after tour? Are shops still open - probably are? Since we have been whale watching on Oregon coast is Alaska going to be a whole lot better or same? Do I spend money or not? We are going kayaking in Ketchikan and on Yukon wilderness canoe and horseback in Skagway.Sorry for confusion.:) And thanks for all the help.

Out of Oregon it was probably grey whales??? But frankly- it doesn't sound like you are that interested?? So my advice= go with what is- since you want to see the downtown area and Mendenhall, go with that option.

I would however take a cab from the airport direct to Mendenhall glacier, otherwise you are adding AT Least an hour in shuttle time. Then shuttle back downtown via the $5pp buses. Then do your downtown touring and tram. Pick up a walking tour map at the dock visitor center, or look at Frommer's Alaska or Fodor's Alaska walking tours.

Archived