New Luggage Recomendations

All this talk about luggage made me swing into LLBean to pick up some new luggage!

Got the extra large pullman and the large rolling duffle. Now, if anything breaks... Ever. I can walk into the store and get a new one or print out a return postage slip at home, throw the case in a box and llbean will pay shipping and send me a new one!

Yeah! Ready to go!

I don't really think a lot of luggage handlers or thieves will know the difference between an expensive piece of luggage vs. a cheaply made one.

Wanna' bet? Of course airport thieves know which brands are pricey, and they target those suitcases for theft. I worked for an airline for 5 years and would never ever check luggage from any of the pricey brands: Rimova, Briggs & Riley, Halliburton, Vuitton, Tumi, etc. Any costly brand is fine for carry-on, but stick to good quality, less expensive brands for checked bags.

I also have more luggage than most stores, everything from Hartmann (vintage and never ever checked) to Eagle Creek, TravelPro, Atlantic, Skyway, Samsonite, etc. After independent travel for almost 50 years I've learned a few things. I bought a set of spinner luggage a few years ago for a month-long trip to Asia. The 25-inch suitcase (kindly note this is absolutely the largest size anyone should plan to check on an airline) survived the trip, but the very next time I checked it domestically one of the wheels got torn off. So spinners, no matter how convenient they seem for rolling along, are OUT of my repertoire. If the airline breaks one of your spinner's wheels during a trip you are royally in a bind.

My go-to brand and luggage vendor for the past few years is eBags, previously mentioned in this thread. They sell many popular brands (including Tumi, Eagle Creek, TravelPro) but they really shine with their own branded lines. I'm absolutely sold on their TLS duffels and convertible bags and own 5 TLS pieces. I bought their eTech line for my husband a few months ago, good luggage but not as good as the TLS. One really great thing about the eBags website is the videos that show the features of each bag, indispensable when buying online.

To reiterate what other posters have mentioned, a 28 or 29-inch bag is simply too big for checking on an airline. It's far too easy for that size case to go over the weight limit, especially if packing several pairs of shoes. One never knows when s/he might have to lift the bag over curbs, carry it up or down a staircase (think the Metro in Paris), or maneuver it in tight spaces. I always make sure I can personally carry/drag/roll every item I take on a trip by myself with no assistance from husband, skycap, or bellperson. My 25-inch eBags TLS MotherLode Junior is the closest bag to perfect ever, and it comes in several sizes and colors. It never fails to amaze me how much I can fit in the thing, and it expands for mega loads. Check it out.

If you plan on flying with the luggage I would be very careful with the 'total' size of the 28 inch bag. Some airlines may add the wheels and handles - and charge you an oversize bag fee. I bought a 25 inch so I would not have to worry - about the airlines getting stricter with their rules.

I had the TV on a couple of weekends ago and Samantha Brown was on a shopping channel selling her brand of luggage. This is from a woman who travels for a living. She was selling a 28" suitcase she did say that the airlines are becoming so strict when you have a large piece of luggage -- not only the weight factor but also that some airlines are including the handles and wheels in their measurements. She suggested using the larger luggage when traveling by car, train, etc. and using smaller luggage for flying.

I'm in the market for a smaller carryon -- something around 17". I've noticed that Europeans have carryon luggage that is a lot smaller than what we use (22"). As someone posted you are at the mercy of the agents at the gates who determine whether your bag is too large to carry on. I almost had this happen to me, but since my carryon had things in it (17" computer, camera, medication) they let me take it and it fit in the overhead just fine. This happened at Heathrow and from that experience and some after then I have used smaller carryons.

I had the TV on a couple of weekends ago and Samantha Brown was on a shopping channel selling her brand of luggage. This is from a woman who travels for a living. She was selling a 28" suitcase she did say that the airlines are becoming so strict when you have a large piece of luggage -- not only the weight factor but also that some airlines are including the handles and wheels in their measurements. She suggested using the larger luggage when traveling by car, train, etc. and using smaller luggage for flying.

I'm in the market for a smaller carryon -- something around 17". I've noticed that Europeans have carryon luggage that is a lot smaller than what we use (22"). As someone posted you are at the mercy of the agents at the gates who determine whether your bag is too large to carry on. I almost had this happen to me, but since my carryon had things in it (17" computer, camera, medication) they let me take it and it fit in the overhead just fine. This happened at Heathrow and from that experience and some after then I have used smaller carryons.

Before you purchase, read the reviews on her pieces, not the ones from people who have just unpacked them and love the look, the ones who have actually traveled with them. This is a great example of how people with a trusted name can sell, sell, sell and it's not necessarily the best. They do look nice, kind of remind me a bit of Brics Safari line. My boss always tells us to watch the shopping network sales people, how they can make a big deal over the smallest detail, like the hardware on a piece, or the fact that the suitcase has wheels. They sell personality more than anything else, it's amazing to watch (I've never bought a thing off those shows, though).

I have to politely disagree with Fun Nut. Of course, if you have an inside thief they may know, but I think the ones who just grab and run with a bag at the carousel doesn't know any difference. Hopefully the inside job people get caught and lose their jobs and face charges, just like the grab and run thieves.

We've always checked our Tumi, never once had a problem. My sister checks her Rimowa, same thing. The only people who report any stolen items at all in our luggage store are briefcases...and they always say they foolishly left them on the seat of their rental car. You would think in 5 years being at the store, I'd hear more about theft, but the only stories I hear are the ones that are already in the news, like the guy in Phoenix a few years ago that had hundreds of cases in his home. Or, the guy here in OC who had (from what people say) 2 sets of Louis Vuitton stolen at the airport. I don't know how much of that story to believe. First, Louis Vuitton is not sold in sets an the only pieces I've ever seen are carry on sizes. But, I don't know much about the brand, I can't afford it so just admire from afar.

I think Ebags is great for people who can't get to a luggage store and see/feel what they are buying. But don't expect lower prices. I've never seen a piece of their name brand, but I've looked at it online and it's probably manufactured by a luggage manufacturer like TravelPro or Delsey, something fairly decent quality. They will make a much larger profit margin on their own brand. While I'm happy for them, I still like to buy local in stores. Try to help local people employed.

Personally, if I were to choose between Tumi Vapor and Rimowa Salsa Air, my preference would be the Tumi. Both are great bags, but I just like the styling on Vapor better. Salsa Air is probably a tad bit lighter.

I like the double handle cases, never have cared a whole lot for single pole pull handle.

My boss has Salsa Air and she loves it. Out of the 8 people working in our store, I think only 2 of us like the Tumi Vapor better.

If we compared the Tumi Vapor to the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe, I think I'd go with the Salsa Deluxe. Just to confuse things. I like the wheel system on Salsa Deluxe better than either of the above and it does have the double pull handle.

All this talk about luggage made me swing into LLBean to pick up some new luggage!

Got the extra large pullman and the large rolling duffle. Now, if anything breaks... Ever. I can walk into the store and get a new one or print out a return postage slip at home, throw the case in a box and llbean will pay shipping and send me a new one!

Yeah! Ready to go!

BBM

DH swears by his LL Bean Sportsmen's Collection pieces!!

HAPPY CRUISING!!

I bought a set of green High Sierra luggage and so far I Love it! I've had it about 4 years (12 RT flights). Has good wheels, plenty of handles, expandable, and hidden backpack straps (great when walking a bag up stairs or when carrying multiple bags in a narrow area. It also has 3 compartment levels if you use the divider and divides your clothes from other items like shoes or toiletries or dirty clothes. This was fantastic since last time I flew I had a bottle leak but it was restricted to the upper level and no clothes were affected.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would bring this thread up again to share my purchase experience!! This thread has been great for me...

We own samsonite and love them, but they are close to 10 pounds prior to packing. That is fine for a cruise that once on board you dont have to deal with the weight again.

Now, we are getting close ( 6 weeks away) to our land vacation in Italy. Arrive in Rome then we will travel by train to Venice, train to Florence and train again back to Rome. The suitcase has got to fit in a train overhead and handle cobblestones well. With us moving around Italy I did not want our luggage to be a chore and so I knew we needed a light weight suitcase (I am still working on not packing a lot.)

I read this thread over and over again, checked out all the suggestions here and then decided..

So I went with LL Bean. One suitcase for him, one for me. 26'. for 14 days, yikes!! They arrived last week and I am thrilled with the suitcase.

They even got the monograms right!!

The one downside which I knew from reviews is that they have no inside straps so the clothes may move around a lot.... Still the light weight of the suitcase, the construction and everything else is awesome.... Not to mention the plum color!! These darn suitcases were not cheap yet once I had them I felt the money was well spent.

So now I am considering packing cubes and will read the other thread on this subject... There will be no formal nights on this trip so I am not freaked about wrinkles or the like!! I just may let the clothes float around in the suitcase!

I had expected we would only use these suitcases just for this trip but once the arrived....I dont know, may use them again....They are that nice.

If anyone has suggestions for a small backback would love to hear. Again, want it to be lightweight, small just to fit a little camera, maps and easy on my shoulder... BTW, I dont like Vera Bradley at all, (hope I got her name right) but would prefer a good quality cloth to leather....

I thought I would bring this thread up again to share my purchase experience!! This thread has been great for me...

We own samsonite and love them, but they are close to 10 pounds prior to packing. That is fine for a cruise that once on board you dont have to deal with the weight again.

Now, we are getting close ( 6 weeks away) to our land vacation in Italy. Arrive in Rome then we will travel by train to Venice, train to Florence and train again back to Rome. The suitcase has got to fit in a train overhead and handle cobblestones well. With us moving around Italy I did not want our luggage to be a chore and so I knew we needed a light weight suitcase (I am still working on not packing a lot.)

I read this thread over and over again, checked out all the suggestions here and then decided..

So I went with LL Bean. One suitcase for him, one for me. 26'. for 14 days, yikes!! They arrived last week and I am thrilled with the suitcase.

They even got the monograms right!!

The one downside which I knew from reviews is that they have no inside straps so the clothes may move around a lot.... Still the light weight of the suitcase, the construction and everything else is awesome.... Not to mention the plum color!! These darn suitcases were not cheap yet once I had them I felt the money was well spent.

So now I am considering packing cubes and will read the other thread on this subject... There will be no formal nights on this trip so I am not freaked about wrinkles or the like!! I just may let the clothes float around in the suitcase!

I had expected we would only use these suitcases just for this trip but once the arrived....I dont know, may use them again....They are that nice.

If anyone has suggestions for a small backback would love to hear. Again, want it to be lightweight, small just to fit a little camera, maps and easy on my shoulder... BTW, I dont like Vera Bradley at all, (hope I got her name right) but would prefer a good quality cloth to leather....

Yeah! I am jealous, kinda! We bought our suitcases in store and they did mot have plum in the size I wanted, so we went with red. Still awesome, and I am still happy!

Backpacks... Did you check LL Bean's? We Mainers swear by their backpacks.... They range in size from tot sizes to super duper OMG! And like the suitcases, guaranteed for life!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343692570.494445.jpg.f6c9cf53e0c5f5b8c9193f6ee253f768.jpg

This is the plus on my 7 year old

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343692611.542330.jpg.bf87495cfbdd557bc7717387ddaf367e.jpg

This is the super duper omg! Just kidding! This is the fun one in the store! Not for sale.

I paint my suitcases with fabric paint including printing my email address on the outside by the handle (Sharpie or fabric paint). Big flowers make the suitcase observable. I usually try to find a suitcase of very moderate price since I really do like a new one really often. Expensive bags just seem to make the luggage apes go wild and show off their badness. :p

I LOVE this tip. I was going to get some wild print duct tape but this is an even better idea.

I got the leopard print duct tape in michael's and bring the roll along in case there are any rips. Also great to wrap around luggage it case it "expands" during the cruise. I can always spot my luggage as soon as it makes it's way on the belt!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived