Celebrity Eclipse Feb. 9, 2013 - 14 night Caribbean

TorontoSailor

Still a long way away, but my partner and I are planning to be on the 14-night Caribbean cruise aboard the Celebrity Eclipse, ex Fort Lauderdale, on Feb. 9, 2013.

This will be our fifth Celebrity cruise (they are fantastic! we've always had a great time) and my second on an S-class ship. Looking forward to it very much.

Have been to the Caribbean many times...and most of the islands. A highlight of this cruise: It is the only one to stop in Bonaire, where the snorkeling is out of this world. Will also stop in St. Croix, one of the few islands we've never been to.

Checking to see if anyone else is planning to be on this cruise. Please say hi, if you are.

We are two fun, professional guys from Toronto, aged 52 and 38. Really enjoy meeting cool new people with a great sense of humor!

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi....My partner and I will be on our first Carribean Cruise. We really enjoyed the Mediteranean last year on Celebrity Solstice and decided to book another cruise on Celebrity. We love to travel and are looking forward to seeing new sites and meeting new people.

We are from the SW US, ages 57 and 35.

Glad to have you aboard. Think it will be a very good cruise. We were in Bonaire a couple years ago and loved snorkeling there on Klein Bonaire. Really amazing.

There is nothing quite like being in the Caribbean in the winter--especially if you are from a northern state or Canada.

If you have any questions about any of the islands, let us know. We've been to every one, except St. Croix, three times or so and know some of the stuff to do.

For the most part, we like heading to a good beach, although we've also done everything from sailing to deep-sea fishing. (I was able to channel my inner Hemingway and caught a HUGE blue marlin in St. Lucia last year! One off the bucket list; I had been trying for years.)

Anyway, look forward to meeting you in February.

Best,

Scott (and Jan)

Toronto

Sounds like Bonaire might be one of the better islands to snorkel. Which other islands would be the best for snorkeling? We are pretty active and enjoy hiking, swimming, biking etc. But we also enjoy relaxing at the beach.

We have not taken time to seriously plan activities on the cruise yet. When it gets a bit closer we will sit down and discuss what we want to do.

I bet that marlin put up a good fight.

If you have any activity suggestions pass them along. We look forward to meeting you both.

Dave and Charles

Hi Dave and Charles. Yes, Bonaire is absolutely the very best snorkelling there is, bar none. But we went over to Klein Bonaire, a small island you get to by boat, the last time we were there. There is a shallow reef that runs along the east side of the island where you can drift snorkel. You basically let the current carry you along. There is a VERY dramatic drop off, basically an abyss (LOL), not too far out, where you can see all kinds of amazing fish, of all shapes, sizes, colours. Really spectacular.

The last time we were there there was a rumor afoot that they were going to start severely restricting cruise ships in Bonaire, as the number of people going over to the Marine Park wearing sunscreen were having an impact on the coral.

So we were VERY surprised to see that Celebrity was going there again, as we were sure our last trip there (two years ago) was likely our last on a cruise ship.

So...we are REALLY lucky to be going there on this cruise...and, if you check the other Celebrity offerings it is, as far as we can tell, the ONLY one stopping in Bonaire.

Although we have never been, there is also supposedly really good snorkelling on Buck Island off of St. Croix. We are planning to go there this time to check it out.

The last time we were in Aruba, I was sick, so did not get off the ship. My partner went on a Jeep safari, which was supposedly pretty good. The time before, we went to Palm Beach, which was a bit of a let-down, as it was WAY too commercial and crowded. The sand is lovely and the water warm (though a bit murky). I think this time Eagle Beach (much more basic and far less developed) may be the way to go. We'll see. Very easy to get to the beach by bus. No need to spend a bunch of money on cabs or anything. We also thought we might do a bit of a sunset sail this time, but again, we'll see.

A great place to snorkel is on Barbados, where you can swim with turtles. It is really amazing. We went with a great company and we recommend them highly. Very hospitable, great food, and only 12 people on board, max. Well worth the extra money. We saw some of the ship catamarans out there, and they were just packed with people. Way better to go on a smaller boat. I can fill you on details if you are interested. It was a highlight of our trip a couple of years ago.

We've also done a bit of an island tour on Barbados (Bathsheba is quite spectacular and great for VERY EXPERIENCED surfers, but NOT a place for swimming), have been to many of the gardens (ok, but you've seen one you've seen them all), and to the Wildlife Reserve (big yawn). There are some very nice beaches there, too.

In Grenada, we've only just gone to the beach all the times we have been there, so I can't vouch for much more there. They have great water activities there, though, if that interests you (no snokelling, but wave runners etc.), and it is a pretty pleasant way to spend the day. You get there by water taxi. Very handy.

In St. Lucia, we have sailed on a catamaran to the Pitons (really wonderful, and the excursion we booked through Celebrity was top-notch) and have gone deep-sea fishing (well worth it, for the marlin, but it was CRAZY expensive to charter a boat and aside from the marlin we caught only one tuna). Fishing charter ran about $900 for the day, so not something we would do too often. But the sailing is great. The water off St. Lucia is a bit choppy, so if you are prone to seasickness, you would want to take something.

Antigua has wonderful beaches, and we have our favourite. It really is a wonderful spot, what you think of when you think of a tropical beach. Easy cab ride from town, but the water can be a bit rough. Last time we were in Antigua, our fave beach was closed due to choppy seas, so we had to go to another one, and we were quite disappointed. This year, back to Plan A!

St. Martin has my fave beach in the entire Caribbean, Orient Beach. It is fantastic. (There is a nude section, which I have been to, and allegedly a gay section, which I have not.) We have also rented a car in St. Martin and driven around the island, which is quite lovely. French side WAY nicer than the Dutch. Decent enough shopping. There is also a beach near the airport where you can see planes landing and taking off, which is quite dramatic, but not really worth hanging out at too long in my opinion.

On St. Croix this year, we will use Big Beard's to go over snorkelling on Buck Island. Was going to book the one through the ship, but it is a half day, and for the same price you can get a full day with Big Beard, plus lunch, so it seemed like WAY better value. Plus, they get you back by 3:30, which is cool.

So there you have it. Some of the stuff we have done, like to do.

You'll enjoy yourself.

Snorkelling: Bonaire FOR SURE; Barbados (swim with turtles, with a small charter) FOR SURE (highly recommended); and probably St. Croix's Buck Island, which sounds pretty good to us.

Not sure if you are divers are not, but there are TONS of dive opportunities. Again, Bonaire is THE place for that.

Anyway, enough droning on. You are going to have a great time.

There are also hiking opportunities, although that can be a bit intense in the heat and humidity, golf, fishing, ziplines, parasailing etc. if you are really daring.

You'll have no trouble finding something to entertain yourselves!

Cheers,

Scott (and Jan)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hey guys...

I'm not on this cruise... I'm actually on the sailing of the Eclipse prior to this one. I almost wish I was in this one - you guys have activity on your roll call. So far, we've had no one else on ours. It's a bit of a shame - I see you guys are from Toronto too. It would have been nice to make some new friends!

Anyway, all the best for 2013. Maybe when we return, we can swap eclipse stories.

Take care,

Lonny

• 4 weeks later...

Scott and Jan,

Only a couple weeks til departure. We have not made any shore plans yet but will today. Lots has been going on and we just have not made the time to take a closer look. I was gone for a month over the holidays and just got back yesterday. Hope you guys had a good holiday season as well.

Your information on this site was very helpful so we will use it as a start, especially Big Beards and Klein bonaire.

Lets make sure we connect on board. We are in stateroom 1575. If you want you can contact me at my email address dcombs726@hotmail.com

before we take off. We fly out Feb 8 and get in late around 11pm. We usually try to get on the ship as early as possible.

dave

Scott and Jan,

We spent the afternoon searching web sites and planning our cruise activities. Here is what we tentatively came up with:

Aruba 12th - Eagle Beach

Bonaire 13th - Klein Bonaire (take water taxi and snorkle)

Grenada 15th - Grand Anse Beach (not sure on this one, suggestions)

Barbados 16th - Hilton Beach club

St. Lucia 17th - Serenty Island tour

Antigua 18th - Coconut Beach resort

St. Martin 19th - Orient Beach resort

St. Croix 20th - Big Beards snorkle tour

We usually dont take large group tours prefering the smaller more intimate groups. The Serenity tour needs 5 people for smaller tour so we hope we can join a group or ?

Have you any experience with the beach clubs above or suggest any others? We hope to SUP, swim, snorkle, ride wave runners etc. at these club areas.

We are usually very active on our vacations (hikes, bikes etc) but on these type tours we found it seemed like more drive time than hiking or biking so we did not select these this time. We have zip lined before and done most of the other stuff somewhere in the world. We will walk and swim alot this trip. If you have any hike or other activity suggestions let us know. No long boat activity or windy car rides as one of us is prone to motion sickness. This is is all tentative.

dave

Hi guys. Looking forward to meeting you! Just two weeks to go! I think a few cocktails are in order (assuming you guys do the cocktail thing!).

Your choices all look great to me. I can offer a little feedback.

Aruba 12th - Eagle Beach

>>Personally think this is a good choice. Last time we were there, I was sick so I stayed on ship while Jan and his mother went off on a bit of a tour. We were going to go ATVing this time, but Jan has a skiing injury, which will make that unwise, so we had to cancel. Time before, we went to Palm, which I found a bit too commercial and built-up for my liking. Think this time we'll do Eagle.

Bonaire 13th - Klein Bonaire (take water taxi and snorkle)

Great plan. You'll love it! Absolutely amazing. We are going on a snorkelling trip with a small local dive company with a marine biologist, but the way you are doing it is really, really good, too--and possibly cheaper. I know that the one we are using is full, as they sent us an email to that effect. Are you strong/confident swimmers? If not, I would recommend a snorkelling vest, as the drop-off is like looking into an abyss. If you are, no worries. Very cool.

Grenada 15th - Grand Anse Beach (not sure on this one, suggestions)

This is a pretty nice beach--and what we have done in Grenada. The only irritant is that there are a lot of people selling stuff and the like. We have tended to go to the same spot and rented chairs. A waiter will come over and ask you to order only from him. It is OK and we usually do that. At first it is kind of off-putting, but totally fine. They do look after you quite well, and are very grateful for a tip. I do, however, find the other people hawking everything from parasailing to souvenirs a tad annoying, though. There is one really annoying blind dude who hits you up for money and then curses you for not giving him enough. (Not sure how the hell he knows!?!?!?) The great thing about Grand Anse is that you go there by water taxi. Very cheap and very convenient. And it is a really nice long beach, so great for walking. There is a little bit of local craft market there. Kind of pathetic, really, but ok for getting some spices, sort of.

Barbados 16th - Hilton Beach club

I don't know about this one. Will look it up. Might be good. I have heard that Crane Beach is also very good; in fact, my boss says it is his fave beach in the world. We have either snorkelled or done island touring in Barbados, so this time are planning only to go to a beach. Haven't narrowed it down yet. Was thinking Crane, but was going to look into some other stuff, too. I'll check this. Kind of nice to have some good facilities, especially here. Barbados is a lovely island, with nice people.

St. Lucia 17th - Serenty Island tour

We have never done an island tour on St. Lucia. Have only gone sailing and fishing. So this time we are going to do one. I have booked this trip with Spencer Ambrose, who got some good reviews on this site:

Tour: Land and Sea Adventure

Date: February 17th 2013

Departure 8.30 am

http://www.spencerambrose.com

Antigua 18th - Coconut Beach resort

Don't know about this place. We know a really nice beach called Valley Church. It is great. Take a taxi there. Not too crowded. You arrange a time for the taxi to pick you up--and most of them will let you pay only when they drop you back off, which is a great guarantee that they will show at the appointed time. Takes about 20 mins to half an hour to get there. There is a very simple beach bar there (with overpriced and not so great food! but restrooms, but cold beer) and a woman who gives massages on the beach (not bad..and not overpriced). We really like it there, as it is kind of simple and not overdone. But I am curious about this, too. Last time we were there, Valley Church was red-flagged and the taxi driver didn't want to take us there. (In fact, he refused. Go figure.) I forget where he took us instead, but he insisted it was even better, and we did not think it was...although we met some people there who also thought it was. We are Valley Church guys. Sharing cab an option--but don't expect anything ritzy.

St. Martin 19th - Orient Beach resort

Best beach in the Caribbean in my opinion. We are taking the ship full-day Beach Day excursion for this one. In the past, have rented a car and gone to Orient Beach. Going there on an organized thing seemed a bit more convenient. But you are right; will be bus tour cattle call. Yuck. Taxi just as good, I think, but this time I was attracted to the ease of just being taken there and taken back. You don't really need to pay to go to a resort, per se, either. All the little places along the beach rent out chairs and umbrellas and there are some very good restos, too. Fabulous, fabulous beach, though very busy. Great people watching. Very French.

St. Croix 20th - Big Beards snorkle tour

We are on this one, too. You do realize that you have to taxi to get there, huh? Perhaps we could share.

We usually dont take large group tours prefering the smaller more intimate groups. The Serenity tour needs 5 people for smaller tour so we hope we can join a group or ?

>>>>I agree. We avoid ship tours like the plague. Only on the St. Martin one this time. You should be OK with Serenity. Or check out Spencer to see if he has spots open, but there is a boat involved. (See note below.)

Have you any experience with the beach clubs above or suggest any others? We hope to SUP, swim, snorkle, ride wave runners etc. at these club areas.

>>>>I have no experience with beach clubs, as we have tended to just make our way to a beach via taxi. But they definitely sound quite nice, and are something I have considered, especially for Barbados.

We are usually very active on our vacations (hikes, bikes etc) but on these type tours we found it seemed like more drive time than hiking or biking so we did not select these this time. We have zip lined before and done most of the other stuff somewhere in the world. We will walk and swim alot this trip. If you have any hike or other activity suggestions let us know. No long boat activity or windy car rides as one of us is prone to motion sickness. This is is all tentative.

>>Jan is a real hiking lover. I am asthmatic, so find that in the Caribbean it is just too hot and humid for hiking. Almost kills me, in fact. So I am into vegging out, a lot. For motion sickness, which can happen, we swear by Bonine, which you can get over the counter at any pharmacy. You begin taking it a couple of nights before you actually get on the ship. Take one at night, before bed. Works like a charm--and then you are not drowsy. Have never been seasick taking Bonine, and have been in some quite choppy seas, both on a cruise ship and while sailing and fishing in St. Lucia. The seas around St. Lucia do tend to be very choppy. They are Bonine territory for sure! Plus it is hilly with windy roads...not so good for car sickness, but Bonine works for that, too.

Very much looking forward to meeting you guys.

I'll email in a few days to give you some details and to arrange to meet up.

Cheers,

Scott

URL=http://www.cruisecritic.

Archived